Re: LRO: Timing chain cover

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 13:50:46 EDT

    The groove in the pulley, caused by wear from the oil seal, can be a
    problem. The new seal may not be able to seal over this irregularity. Only
    way to find out is to install it and see. You can try the trick of seating
    the seal at a slightly different position in the housing hoping it won't
    ride in the detent. When I inquired a couple of years ago, there wasn't a
    speedy sleeve for this pulley. Ended up buying an aftermarket pulley at
    something like $60 from BP. OEM pulley was way more expensive. Your
    choice, take the chance on a leak from reusing it or replacing it. I
    elected to change it as changing the seals on my transfer case output
    shafts, which were grooved, didn't cure the leaking from there. As I
    recall, changing the seals didn't change the rate of leakage much at all.
    The leakage is relatively minimal, however, so I haven't put speedy sleeves
    on these shafts.

    Aloha
    Peter