Subject: LRO: Speedometer repair help

From: George Simmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 18:07:06 -0700

Back in mid-December someone posted the following instructions to
the list.  I'm having a problem and need help.  Please contact me
off list.

George in Auburn CA

"1. Remove the speedo from the case, remove the pointer on the
face and
remove the face Gently is the trick here - don't force anything
and you
will be fine.
2. CLean out all the lube in the beast - Q-tip and cotton swab
w/a good
solvent works fine. So does spraying with electronic flux remover
or the
like - I've done it both ways.
3. Make sure the magnet cup and magnet are clear of all debris -
when
you
spin the speedo by hand the cup should move slightly. Also, if
you touch
the cup it should rock back and fortrh from the rest position. If
it
doesn't find out why - this could be the problem.
4. Lubricant should be nothing but a light instrument oil - and
damn
little
of that. I use 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil or things like that -
if you
can get clock oil that is ideal.
5.  Reassemble and test. To reset the pointer position put on the
face,
then note the spot just below the ) mark where there are two dots
close
together right out at the tip of the pointer. Push the pointer
back on so that it
sits at that point at rest, then pull back thezero stop, push the
pointer
gently past it, and allow the zero stop to retract back into
place. This 
sets the spring preload...

If the odometer works and the magnet spins then all that is
likely wrong
is that something has stuck the pointer cup and drive in place.
Should be a 
matter of clean and test..."