Re: LRO: Solex Rebuilt and Leaking Problem

From: Stephen West-Fisher (steve@coastaldatasystems.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 22:13:52 EDT

    RON WARD wrote:
    > Some may remember my posts early in the week about a bad accelerator pump leak. I replaced the accelerator diaphram and rid myself of that leak. In the process I took the Solex apart and replaced each gasket with fresh ones from my RN gasket kit for the Solex. Now that I have it all together and running, leaks are everywhere. The main base leaks at the center (might be that the two securing nuts at the base are too tight (?). And a leak appears at the gasket between the upper and lower halves of the Solex. Not the top plate, but the middle section. The securing bolts for this joint are upside down so as to severly limit any further tightening while the carb is in place. To describe the leaks as a seep would be more accurate.
    >
    > At idle I can see fuel making its way south to the manifold and this worries me as it is a sure fire hazard.
    >
    > Any one have a suggestion? I understood the gaskets were to be applied without any gasket sealant as this might contaminate andweaken the "leather-like" gasket material. Is this my fatal flaw? I'm at a loss here folks and could use some insight.

    Did you make sure the mating surfaces were perfectly flat before
    assembly? It is not unknown for them to warp. If they have, wait until
    the wife has left the house for at least half the day, pop the bare
    warped bits in the oven (I like mine baked at 450 for 20 minutes), then
    beat them flat. The metal bends a lot easier at this temperature, so
    don't hit it too hard.

    Before going to the above trouble, are you sure where the leak is coming
    from? The accelerator pumps have a tendency to start a syphon. Drive the
    truck to get it good and hot, then lift the bonnet and remove the air
    hose. Look straight down the carb and see if gas is coming out of the
    accelerator pump nozzle. If so, the good news is you have found the
    problem. The bad news is trying to find out why.
    Check your float adjustment in the fuel bowl.
    If it is correct, do the above drive to get it hot again, and quick as
    you can after shutting her down get the cover off the carb. Is the gas
    boiling?
    If yes, do you have the proper spacer block under the carb? If not,
    install it and test again.
    If yes, do you have the heat shield installed? If not, install it and
    test again.
    If yes, you probably need an additional heat shield under the carb. The
    Solex manual describes the beast, RN can send you a copy of the
    appropriate pages.

    This is as far as I have gotten. However, my problem may be very low
    compression in the rear two cylinders causing the manifold to run hotter
    than normal. I only wish it was the head gasket :-)