LRO: slowly getting it together

From: Jim Hall (jimfoo@qwest.net)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 23:20:53 EDT

    Well, I started putting the motor together even though the head is still
    getting repaired. It's gone very well due to all the tips from this list
    and from friends rebuilds. I marked the timing gears and block before I
    removed them so I would have no problem putting them back on. I had a
    problem with the grub screw for the distributor, the one under the oil
    filter. I got the hole lined up fine due to a list tip, but the screw
    was too long and stopped the shaft from turning when I tightened it. So
    I had to grind a bit off, and all is well. I welded a baffle in the oil
    pan, right before it starts sloping up towards the front. hopefully this
    will stop the oil light from coming on while going down steep hills. I
    also made a lexan window for the flywheel housing opening since I didn't
    have a cover. Now I seem to remember that the copper head gasket needs
    to be oiled before installation. Is this correct? All I have left is the
    oil pump, the oil pan, the timing cover and the head and I'm ready to
    roll. :0) So thanks to everyone for all the help I did and didn't ask
    for.

    --
    Jim Hall
    1966 88" Elephant Chaser