Re: LRO: Re: Help with outfitting shop - excuse the cross-post

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 10:13:15 EDT

    Thanks Peter,

    A few notes..

    Hope Peter wrote:

    2.  A vise.  I have GOT to get one.  Looking for a 6.5-8.5" jaw.  Anvil
    on top would be nice. Able to handle round stock is a good thing too.

    3. Hydraulic floor press. Need more than 15 Tons if possible. Got to
    get those stupid rubber bushings out!

    4. Bench Grinder. One with 2 wheels and a light would be great.

    Northern Hydraulics for the above 3 for me. All are about 5 years old now
    and going strong.
    Not sure about the "more than 15 tons" though. I have the 10 ton model and
    it has worked great for doing spring bushings, and installing bearings and
    stuff.
    I should have made it clear that I don't have a series truck, so my needs are probably different than a Series owner.  I've heard of owners bending or breaking things using 10 ton presses to get out the bushings on the A-Arms or Radius arms on our trucks.  I have NO desire to have those issues.

    As for the bench, let me know what you end up with.  I have yet to find a
    bench that I was happy with so ended up building my own. 4x4 legs, 2x6
    frame. 2 layers of 3/4 plywoods screwed together for the top. It's about
    belly button to lower rib cage on me, 8' long and 30" deep. I added a 2x6
    backing bloack under where the big shop vise goes. It is tall enough so
    Any pics or drawings of what you did?  Looks like I will end up making my own...

    Thanks,

    -P