Subject: LRO: Makin' the grade

From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 11:16:45 -0400

"d.h.lowe" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>DoT standards are a "performance standard". They lay down the minimums and
>maximums and the product has to meet those requirements. They do not specify
>what it has to be made from.

Indeed...but with one exception.  DoT 5 is silicone fluid.  DoT 3 or 4
fluids can be made of whatever, as long as the fluid is up to specs:
specific grvity and boiling point.

To continue with this thread, even the Brits eventually realized that
continued use of natural rubber in brake components was Very A Bad Idea, so
they swapped over to neoprene or somesuch compound.  I'm thinking this was
in the early  to mid-1980's.  Does anyone know when for sure?

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*