Subject: LRO: crossed wires

From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 11:16:44 -0400

>>Looked at the dizzy and saw #2 and #3 wires were hooked up wrong!  So
>>much better when they're in their correct spots but the darn thing ran.
>>Amazing little lumps!

>Chris

and "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]> added:

>Yup - they are.

>Reminds me of the time I lost the head gasket between 2 and 3 on Mr.
>Churchill. Remains of it finally blew out on the highway in rush hour
>coming home from Boston. Ran the rest of the way home with it backfiring
>and running like crap but tootled along at 55 MPH....

>Tough little buggers indeed.

That's nothing...I've seen an engine run (poorly) *backwards*.  A friend
had just purchased a junker he was going to break up for parts.  Terminal
frame/bulkhead cancer, while the engine was well and truly knackered,
barely registering any compression.  It was a filthy, crud-encrusted lump,
severly abused by the PO, or rather, series of PO's.  The battery was flat
so we hand-cranked it.  The ignition must've been way advanced, 'cause it
kicked back, fired and continued to run...in reverse!  Exhaust was chuffin'
out the carb an we just stood there in amazement for a minute or so until
whatever 'fuel' it had gave out and it quit.

The same engine was later made to run on *one* cylinder!  We eventually got
it running the right way 'round, but it still didn't sound like it was
firing on all cylinders.  My friend pulled one spark plug wire after
another to isolate the misfire, 'til only one was connected and yet it
still ran....

Cheers

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*