LRO: Re: Help with outfitting shop - excuse the cross-post

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 08:51:35 EDT

    > 2. A vise. I have GOT to get one. Looking for a 6.5-8.5" jaw. Anvil
    > on top would be nice. Able to handle round stock is a good thing too.
    >
    > 3. Hydraulic floor press. Need more than 15 Tons if possible. Got to
    > get those stupid rubber bushings out!
    >
    > 4. Bench Grinder. One with 2 wheels and a light would be great.

    Northern Hydraulics for the above 3 for me. All are about 5 years old now
    and going strong.
    Not sure about the "more than 15 tons" though. I have the 10 ton model and
    it has worked great for doing spring bushings, and installing bearings and
    stuff.
    As for the bench, let me know what you end up with. I have yet to find a
    bench that I was happy with so ended up building my own. 4x4 legs, 2x6
    frame. 2 layers of 3/4 plywoods screwed together for the top. It's about
    belly button to lower rib cage on me, 8' long and 30" deep. I added a 2x6
    backing bloack under where the big shop vise goes. It is tall enough so
    that some old kitchen cabinets I have fit underneath. Currently though,
    under the bench seems the best place for the jack stands, arc welder,
    disassembled engine stand and shop press, and my floor jacks.
    At a shop I worked at, we made the same thing, and then wrapped the tops
    with 18 gauge sheet metal. Easy to clean, long lasting..not too expensive,
    think for one bench it runs about 100$.
    For welding the owner got this 1.5" thick 48"x48" plate from a friend at the
    ship yard. Some old 3" loly columns were used as legs. Made the legs about
    36". Kinda close to the ground for some things, but real nice when working
    on bigger projects.
    Pete