Re: LRO: Exhaust manifold bolts!!!

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 10:33:07 EDT

    I'm a lazy bugger and I say stack some washers behind that nut!

    >>> dscheidt@tumbolia.com 05/06/01 10:22PM >>>
    On Sun, 6 May 2001, Kirk Hillman wrote:

    :David,
    : Great thought. It occurred to me that I should just cut them off and
    :rethread, but I was hoping to simply screw out the old ones and screw in new
    :ones that are shorter. In a perfect world it would be easier. :-) I don't
    :have a full set of taps and dies so I won't have one to match, what is the
    :thread on those do you suppose?

    5/16-24, I think. Might be 5/16-18, if they're not fine threaded. It's
    really worth having a decent set of dies (and taps, but I use dies much more
    often on the the rover) to work on the Land-Rover. The fairly complete set of
    SAE taps and dies, including a tap holder, die wrench and thread pitch
    do-hickey was about $50 bucks from Sears. I run just about every bolt
    through a die before I put it back on, makes reassembly and the next
    diassembly much easier.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com