Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #366

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 21:28:28 EDT

> Subject: LRO: small sandblasting cabinet
>  
>  
>  Does anyone have any experience with small sandblasting cabinets?  I was
>  thinking about getting one for this (and future) projects.  Probably would
>  want something large enough to blast a 16" wheel.  And how big of a
>  compressor does one typically need or are there self contained units out
>  there?
>  
>  Thanks,
>  
>  Rich
>  ' 60 SII 109sw
>  
As some have already mentioned, if you use a small portable compressor, the 
compressor will run pretty much the whole time your using the cabinet. Since 
most smaller cabinets use a siphon gun, their air hogs. Mine is barely big 
enough to get a 15" rim in and it is rated at 11 cfm. As with any air driven 
tool, you'll want to make sure the compressor you have can handle the cfm 
requirements of the tool. 
  I've purchased both my blast cabinet and my portable pressure blaster from 
Harbor Freight and for the most part they've worked pretty good. I've 
upgraded most of the hardware (valves and brackets) but otherwise their just 
as they came out of the box.
  Some of the lessons learned from my cabinet: Don't get an interior light. 
Depending on the media that your using, the bulb gets caked with dust and 
media. If you do get one with an interior light, opt for the heavy 
duty/severe duty lightbulb. I think I got mine from Lowe's. It's basically a 
standard 60W bulb with thicker glass. Also, you can make your own vacuum 
system using a regular shop vac. I used a couple of PVC elbows and a three 
foot length of PVC and bought an extra hose, again from Lowe's. So now when I 
use the cabinet, I just run the extra hose that's connected to the bottom PVC 
elbow to the vacuum port on my shop vac and point the blower port downrange. 
I'm using the heavy duty filter element from SEARS, so I don't have any 
problems with dust in the garage when I'm working with the door closed. I do 
however use hearing protection while I'm blasting since the cabinet sits 
between the compressor and the vacuum. Tends to get a wee bit loud when both 
are running.
  Again, it was mentioned that moisture tends to make it's way down the hoses 
to the gun. I added a second moisture filter to my system and have had no 
problems. I've got one downstream from the main shut off valve on my 
compressor and a second one mounted downstream from the quick disconnect on 
the cabinet. So, from beginning to end the whole thing runs: tank-main shut 
off valve-pressure regulator-moisture seperator-quick disconnect-hose-quick 
disconnect-moisture seperator-cabinet.
  Despite some folks not liking blasting, personally, I think it's one of the 
easiest and most effective way of restoring old bits to new. It just take a 
little practice matching the right media with the right pressure setting to 
get excellent results.
  Rover content-I've used my blasters to redo both axles, brake and clutch 
towers, odd engine pieces (intake and exhaust manifolds) and smaller body 
parts.
  If you have any other questions, fire em' off. Cheers

Andy Baran
Chesapeake, VA

95 Discovery
71 SIIA (Still in a gizillion pieces)

  There are few problems which cannot be solved with the proper application 
of a suitable amount of high explosives.