Re: LRO: front seal retainer

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 07:40:55 EDT

Jim Hall asks:

I know there was some discussion recently about putting screws or
something in place of the rivets to allow removal from the front. I am
wondering why even put the retainer on at all. It's only purpose as I
can see it is to trap dirt between it and the seal. I'm sure the seal
is going nowhere without it. Any insights into this?

--

Personally, I would definitely put the retainer on. It serves a couple of purposes - one of them being to protect the seal body (which is relatively fragile in comparison), secondly it provides a sealing path for the perimeter of the seal if the latter is installed with Hylomar as per the Sacred Book.

Thirdly, it protects the seal from any crud thrown by the belts..

For the little time it took to tap and bolt it was worh th it. You'd need to plug the holes anyway.

ajr