Re: LRO: NYTimes.com Article: Cattle Disease Poses Threat to Run Wild, U.S. Finds

From: Paul Oxley (paul@adventures.co.za)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 03:09:14 EDT

robert_ries09459@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with this...

Not likely. In countries like Botswana where F&M is endemic in the wild
bovine (buffalo) population we sometimes become a little blase about it.
F'rinstance there was a fairly large outbreak in Kwa Zulu Natal (South
Africa) last year (we suspect it originated in southern Mozambique and
crossed the border with the informal livestock movements common to the
area). The area was quarantined and the outbreak dealt with in a fairly
short space of time. We are used to having to move through veterinary
disease control points on a continuing basis, and having out meat
confiscated when on overland trips.

The most frightening thing about F&M is that no-one is 100% sure how it
spreads, which makes it very difficult to contain. Witness the buffalo
fences that stretch across the Kalahari and have decimated the wildlife
populations. And still the disease spreads.

Here's hoping you guys (in the States) don't catch the bug in the first
place, and that the Brits and the continentals manage to snuff it out.

Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com