Re: LRO: Refitting the engine

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 02:10:25 EDT

>I knew that this would be the frustrating part. Tranny and engine don't
>want to meet. I've aligned the clutch disk as best I can.

This has always been frustrating to me as well. First the clutch disk
needs to be spot on aligned or the input shaft will get hung up. Try to
get hold of clutch alignment tool or a old gearbox front shaft. Visual
is a lot less relyable.

Next the gearbox needs to be alighned in all directions. THis is easiest
doen if you have two people spotting at 90 degrees (one looking down and
one from the side) as you try to push it in.

Last I like to dab a little bit of grease at the leading edge of the
splines to try and help them slip in better.

I've done it several times and it has never been as easy to me as I think
it should be.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.