Re: LRO: Another Impossible Thing? And Malta!

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 20:53:21 EDT

>TeriAnn,
>
>It's just the withdrawal symptoms....we're all edgy (sp?) over here...can't
>go offroad, we're being labeled by UK newspapers etc etc.

Neil I understand the frustrations of not being able to go out
greenlaning and I sympathize with the tragedy going on in your country.

I sympathize for the farm families even more. It is almost impossible to
raise livestock without ending up with at lest one becoming a loved pet.
It's even easier if you are doing dairy or wool. I would have been
broken hearted to have had to destroy my dairy herd back when I was doing
that sort of thing.

>Oh, and over here,
>"MTV"'s as you call them, are the stock vehicles, or the leisure market
>vehicles, modified Land Rovers (i.e. with winches etc) are not usually
>created just for the Tesco run here!!

Probably over 90% of the coiler Land/Range Rovers sold in the US have
probably never been farther off road than a very well maintained forest
service road. And most of them not even that. Almost all Sports Utility
Vehicles sold in the US are Mall Terrain Vehicles taking the same basic
niche as the Soccer mom's minivan.

A lot of people in the US spend a lot of money putting big tyres and lots
of off road goodies on a vehicle that will never do more than spin a few
circles in a muddy vacant lot.

Take care and hang in there.

TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net <- Web directory for Land Rover
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman <- My personal web site

"In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy
traveler. Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."