LRO: Re:Sagging springs, why.

From: BSharp4601@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 20:43:21 EDT

    > Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:13:12 -0400
    > From: Bill Adams <badams@IBB.GOV>
    > Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Sagging springs, why.
    >
    > I recommend that you stay away from TI Console springs. My 4 leaf rears
    > have sagged to the left almost from day one ( installed mid 1997).
    > Attempts at remediation through the company's owner have been fruitless
    > and I fear that I'm stuck with a for-shit suspension.
    > - --
    > Bill Adams
    > 3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
    > International Broadcasting Bureau
    > Washington, D.C.
    > 202-205-9638
    > badams@ibb.gov

    BTDT. I bought some parabolics from Bill at Great Basin a couple of years
    ago and had a similar problem with sag to the left side. Bill was very
    accommodating and helped with replacement springs (twice). It still sagged
    (a lot) to the driver's side, and, no, it wasn't me. I only weigh in at 188
    lbs.

    After he suggested having the low side re-arched at a spring shop I continued
    to have problems with sagging springs. It seams that not all spring shops
    are equally as proficient as others. The shop I first patronized (in
    business for 20+ years and "had lots of experience with Land Rovers") put
    more arch in the low side springs, but after about three days, the sag was
    back!

    After several attempts at this mess I tried another spring shop. They
    charged twice as much as the first, but the re-arch held. (Both shops do
    cold vs. hot re-arching.) The first place must not have disassembled the
    spring pack before reworking the springs, so, after several days they
    returned to their original shape / sag. The second place stripped them down,
    reworked the leaves, and then rebuilt them. They worked out great.

    I know that it seams unfair to have to rework "new" springs, but it was the
    only way to get it to sit level. I'm talking about between one to two inches
    difference from side to side, not just a little lean. Not all Rovers are
    created equal, some favor the left, some favor the right, go figure. Even
    with the stock springs, my 88 leaned to the left (DS).

    If you're trying to get it to sit level, start with the rear springs first,
    you may not have to mess with the front springs.

    My sincere apologies to Bill Davis at Great basin Rovers for my being a PITA.
     If I'd known the problem was with the "experienced" spring shop in the first
    place, it would have saved a lot of grief for both of us. Bill went the
    extra distance to help me try to solve the problem.

    Now to go through the same mess with my 109. The parabolics are worth it,
    both handling and comfort are greatly improved over the stock springs.

    YMMV,

    Bob Sharp
    Tucson, AZ
    The slumbering herd on the Rover Ranch:
    52 Series I 80"
    53 Series I 80"
    60 Series II 88"
    63 Series IIa 88"
    71 Series IIa 109"
    96 Discovery Series I

    "Why is it that every project you complete on a Land Rover results in
    knowledge and skills you hope you never need to use again?"

    PS. Has ANYONE else NOTICED that IT is FASHIONABLE to SHOUT every OTHER word
    NOW? Or is it just the curmudgeon in me coming out?