LRO: Re: Brake Shoes

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 17:41:08 EDT

    > Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:05:49 -0500
    > From: Brian F. Waltman <bfw@cwm-inc.com>
    > To: lro@works.team.net
    > Subject: LRO: Brake Shoes
    >
    >The question is, once I get the oil leak stopped, do I need to
    > replace the brake shoes? I am assuming they are covered with oil. If so,
    > will I need to get new ones?

    You should, but you may be able to get away with not having to. I had
    a hub seal go out once on my SIII and so much oil got into the drum they
    were grabbing on application and skidding the wheel, which is what alerted
    me to the fact there was a problem. I replaced the hub seal, but since the
    shoes were pretty new, I simply wiped them down and cleaned them with
    solvent or detergent (can't remember which). I did not seem to suffer any
    loss of braking power after this. However, this occurred on a rear wheel,
    so a loss of braking power wouldn't really have been noticed as there would be no
    veering right or left, and since most of the braking is done by the front brakes, I
    wouldn't have know if there was a reduction in stopping power on the rear wheel.
    Given the metallic nature of today's brake shoes (big mistake, taking asbestos
    out of brake lining, in my opinion- lots of downsides and no upside to doing it),
    I suspect the oil will have less effect and less penetration than with the older,
    softer lining that was used in the past.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com