LRO: Re: Axles

From: Tim Czajka (timczajka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 13:12:35 EDT

    Jean-Leon Morin wrote:
    >I just got a bit of bad news as narrowing the axleshafts costs a lot when
    >you are dealing with such an imposing axleshaft.

    Depending on your location and availability, there
    are some other 4x4s that used offset rear axles.

    One is the Jeep CJ-5 up through 1971. They used
    the Dana 44 rear axle. Best bet would be the
    1969-71 Dana 44 rear ends that used flanged 30
    spline shafts. You would not have to cut this
    axle except for moving the spring pads slightly.
    Just use the proper offset wheels and it would
    match the Series axle width.

    Also the FJ-40 vehicles used an offset rear axle
    and they are said to be very strong in some ways.
    Not sure how the width compares to the Series.

    There are also some offset Dana 20 axles that Jeep
    used on vehicles equipped with the original quadratrack
    tcases. 1976 - 1979 CJ-7 and some of the other
    Jeep trucks. Some of these may fit without cutting
    axles although keyed shaft strength is an issue
    on certain models.

    Just some ideas to avoid major axle surgery. You
    would of course have to deal with wheel bolt pattern
    issues. Getting axles as a set would avoid this
    and it could also be a cheap way to get a different
    ring and pinion ratio if you find the right set.

    Tim Czajka
    1972 Series III 88