Re-: LRO: LightWeight vs Regular frames

From: Mike Rogers (MikeRogers@Mattishall.org.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 07:47:54 EDT

    >>>someone had a like new frame for a Series III 88 and a Series III
    lightweight with a rusted out frame, how much similarities between the
    two?<<<

    Having modified a RR chassis (frame) for my Lightweight hybrid I can confirm
    that the only problematic areas are the bulkhead outriggers, and the rear
    crossmember.

    The outriggers are about an inch shorter to accommodate the narrower
    bulkhead, as I was welding new outriggers onto the RR chassis I simply cut
    the chassis end off to make them the right length. So you could do the same
    by removing the outriggers and welding them back on again. It might be
    difficult to shorten them from the outer end, though not impossible as the
    bulkhead bolts on via tubed holes through the outrigger. I do not think that
    the excess length would be enough to accommodate an exterior roll cage.

    The rear crossmember can be simply cut down at the ends and the open ends
    re-plated, but you may find that the lugs that the rear end of the tub bolt
    to are also in the wrong place, no big deal here just cut them off and
    re-position. For a realistic rear crossmember I have seen the ends "squared
    up" to match the appearance of an original Lightweight crossmember as
    apposed to the tapered version used on civillian series Land Rovers. This
    would then allow you to re-attach the original Lightweight rear
    bumper/overriders.

    All other attachment points are virtually the same, some minor re-drilling
    required here and there. A civilian frame however does not have holes for
    the lifting eyes fitted to Lightweight front dumb irons and rear
    crossmember, if you intend putting any stress on these you must tube the
    holes you drill in the chassis. The only other thing missing I can think of
    would be the front crossmember (immediately behind the front bumper) but
    this would not be obvious to a casual observer. If however you are fussy
    about these things it is very easy to fabricate one from a couple of bits of
    steel plate.

    Mike Rogers
    Lightweight/Range Rover hybrid
    Transferboxleverless 110 project
    (if you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there)