LRO: RE: CB Brake Master Cylinders

From: Paul Quin (Paul_Quin@pml.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 12:23:35 EDT

    Hi Mark,

    I have the same system and had the same problems. I was told that because
    the CB type cylinder sits on an angle, the air bubble inside sits at the top
    of the fat end of the cylinder and does not get completely flushed out when
    you pump the system.

    The solution seems to be to get the cylinder level when bleeding. Some
    people say to bench bleed it before installing it, but the fluid always
    pours out before I can get it anywhere near the truck... You can try and
    unbolt the pedal tower and hold it level while bleeding. I did this and
    only succeeded in pouring brake fluid all over my newly painted foot wells
    :-( You can also try jacking up the front end of the truck, but it needs to
    be awfully high up and is inherently dangerous. The best method that I
    found was to go find a freshly dumped pile of dirt or some thing similar,
    drive the front wheels up onto this with the rears still on level ground,
    chalk everything securely and bleed away. I managed to get a few good farts
    of air out of my lines even after 2 weeks of "regular" bleeding in my
    driveway. FWIW my brakes are still a bit soft but the do work...

    Hope this helps,

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88
    Victoria, BC