Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 04:11:26 EDT

    I have been fixing my rear diff. so I am just catching up on my mail now.

    > Well, a real horsepower is 750W, so about 6.25 A on 120. So
    > somewhere
    > around 3Hp to blow a 20 amp breaker.
    >

    > David

    Well that would depend on the Power factor. AC into a reactive load is a
    tricky thing.

    Here are a few thoughts on some of the sub-threads.

    How much do power do you need? My father always bought as cheep as he
    could. He was once described as a man who never used a tool less than 20%
    beyond its rated capacity. I have spent way too much of my free time
    waiting for a compressor to refill or a welder transformer core to cool.
    I use my home tools harder than I use my work tools when I use them, So
    I need big power at home or the project takes too long. Most air tools
    aren't real air hogs so 5HP and 60GAL. will not too frustrating. Sand
    blasting and DA sanders on the other hand are a major air user. Check
    the specs. for the air use rated in SCFM (standard cubic feet per
    minute), now if the compressor isn't as big you are in for some long
    waits. Now check the Duty Cycle of the compressor. If the compressor
    can match the tool air use but has a 50% Duty cycle you have to wait 5
    minutes out of 10 for the motor to cool. Duty cycle and out put are all
    that matters.

    Noise can be a real problem. Build a small shed outside to house the
    compressor if the climate permits. You can use furness filters as
    prefilters if you like, I did but can't say I would do it again.

    Air tools. It may just be my background but I have to agree with Alan
    about air tools not being a panacea. Other than a GOOD 3\8 impact my air
    tools stay in the box, and I can still out crank all the techs I
    supervise. That doesn't include the time they waste dealing with striped
    threads and broken bolts. Air power has its place but It won't make you
    a speed demon and it will bite you faster. About half the time I take my
    1\2 impact out of my box my intention is to brake the bolt I will use it
    on, not break it loose but to break it in two. Choose your tools wisely
    and don't let megalomania get the better of you. Air wratchets are the
    devils spawn!
    Chris hall