Re: LRO: re: EMD locos **no rover content ***

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 16:50:17 EDT

    Hi All--

    "Faure, Marin" wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:45:00
    > From: "Chris Oles" <chris_oles@hotmail.com>
    > Subject: LRO: re: EMD locos **no rover content ***
    >
    > >I used to work out at EMD and a few friends still do. I was amazed at the
    > number of "rail fans" (fanatics) around. I still stop and wonder at the
    > brute size and strength of those locomotives and often still try and
    > identify the different offerings from the 2 main competing diesel-electric
    > manufacturers.
    >
    > As a railfan (and modeler) myself- Milwaukee Road electrified Cascade
    > division my specialty- I've been seeing an interesting "relic" in the BNSF
    > yard in Bellingham these past few months that might bring back some
    > more memories for you. It's a GP-30, probably one of the very few GP-30s still
    > in major railroad service. If you used to work at EMD, you may remember
    > the GP-30, as it has a very distinctive body and cab, particularly the dynamic
    > brake grids on top of the long hood.

    <g> And there are, or at least were up till a year or so ago, several
    ex-D&RGW GP30s were out banging around on UP tracks here in Salt Lake.
    (North-South mainline, near Sandy UT.)

    Hmmmm. Maybe I haven't seen them since the merger, though, come to
    think of it.

    I remember when the 30s were brand new. Chicago & Eastern Illinois RR
    had some beautiful black & white 30s. Quite fetching, really,
    especially compared to Illinois Central freight black.

    <woo-wooooooo>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan;-)
    Ivan Van Laningham
    Symantec