LRO: Re: OD nut torque setting needed - seriously

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 16:24:11 EDT

    Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:18:00 -0700
    From: SJH <SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM>
    Subject: LRO: OD nut torque setting needed - seriously

    >A friend of mine just called me at work. He's picking up his rebuilt
    transmission and will be installing it and I guess his OD over the next
    day or so. He asked what the torque setting for the OD nut is.

    If you're talking about the nut that holds the replacement drive gear
    on the end of the transmission output shaft, I keep hearing it's
    100 ft. pounds of torque. However, there is no mention of any
    torque figure in either the Fairey overdrive installation and
    operation manual (which I still have), or the SIII factory
    service manual (for the nut when it holds on the output
    gear that mates to the top transfer case gear). But
    TeriAnn has mentioned 100 ft pounds several times,
    and I suspect she knows what she's talking about, so I'd
    feel safe using that figure. If you're talking about the
    nuts that hold the overdrive casing to the back of the transfer
    box, I don't think there's a torque figure mentioned anywhere,
    just "tight."
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88