RE: LRO: Powder coating question

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 11:00:00 EDT

    John and Muddy wrote:

    It seems to me that powder coating wheels would be a waste of time and
    effort.
    . Once the integrity of the coat is lost
    moisture will penetrate and cause rust under coat.
    John and Muddy
    [SJH]
    Indeed. My brother took his 88's wheels to the powdercoater Marin
    mentions, in Tacoma, and had his PC'd limestone. The lg holes are not
    the problem he's mentioned. Instead, where the "spokes" meet the rim,
    the PC'er was unable to get penetration of the powder, and rust has taken
    hold in that crack, evidenced by rust stains. And this after about a
    year, and under a relatively salt free Fircrest (Tacoma) Washington
    environment. They do not live near the sound.

    The brush bar I recently removed and sold had been PC'd and it had
    started to peel and rust near the sharp edges of the steel plate mounts.
     Of course, PC'ing is cheap enough that things like a brush bar can be
    removed and recoated, but I would stick with paint for wheels. I've
    determined only to PC interior bits.

    My 2 cents.

    Simon