Re: LRO: RE: Rivet guns (was: Air Compressors)

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 00:45:36 EDT

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

    :> The setting procedure is like Peter said. Once you have all the bits,
    :it's
    :> pretty obvious. Then practice. I'm still very reluctant to put rivets
    :over
    :> paint , but hey, all that says is that I should have used a roller...
    :
    :Close, cept the bit that goes into the air hammer has a hollow to match the
    :rivet head. The bucking bar is flat. The action of the hammer doesn't
    :directly crown the rivet. It sets up a vibration and the hand held force on
    :the bucking bar flattens the back side.
    :This si similar to removing a dent from a car using a hammer and dolley.
    :Dolley goes behind the dent, then you hit the dent with the hammer. When
    :done right, the dolley is actually what is knocking out the dent.
    :Yes, it's not April 1, and I am not pulling your leg.
    :Pete

    He really isn't. Oh, and they make air rivet guns. They look an awful lot
    like an air hammer, but they tend to have a lower impact rate, and exert
    less force per blow. Doubt its worth buying one for a Land-Rover. If
    you've got an airplane or a serious tool fetish, though....

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.