Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 01:07:38 EDT

    > Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:
    >
    > > It's not like I have a wimpy compressor either - 1.5 Hp running on 220
    is
    > > more than adequate.
    > ajr
    > Sorry AJR 1.5hp isn't even as good as wimpy. Wimpy starts at 2.5hp. This
    > probably why you have never come to love airtools.
    > John and Muddy

    Have to agree with that.
    I am not saying that you need a 10hp cast pump mounted on a 120 gallon tank,
    but 1.5 sounds like a pancake compressor used by roofers.

    For a home shop I would recommend 5hp minimum and a 60 gallon tank.
    Shooting paint, using a sand blaster, or running a die grinder or sander
    will suck down air very fast, but for a hobbiest the above size will work
    well. I only spray small bits and panels at the house, use the downdraft
    paint booth over at Hickham for bigger jobs. Anyway I have a 6hp pump, but
    only a 40 gal tank and it works, and it's on wheels. But I plan on getting
    a bigger tank in the furture.
    Pete