RE: LRO: Re: special tool

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 11:40:32 EDT

    > Yawn. Come on. Its not an F-16 or Ferrari for crying out loud. I said
    >I've had NO problems over the last year with tranny/OD reliability since
    >tightening the nut "incorrectly"

    You are quite right. Series Land Rovers are not precision machines.
    They are very simple machines for what they do. For the most part,
    components are seriously overbuilt for their intended use.

    A series Land Rover will keep going with a lot of missing, wrong or
    incorrectly assembled parts. One of the things I love about them is that
    they are marvels of simplistic over design engineering. Even though
    some assemblies such as it's 1932 Rover passenger car gearbox is way
    under strength for it's Land Rover application it is still simple.

    Unlike with most cars, you can just put parts sorta together and expect
    them to function. They can be repaired in the boonies with little more
    than a screw driver and a crescent wrench using whatever parts are at
    hand. It doesn't take a lot to fix them to the point where they can limp
    home.

    During the 23 years I have owned The Green Rover I have broken an
    incredible collection of parts and she has always made it home under her
    own power. Considering what I have broken, I'm in awe of that feat.

    So yes I do agree with you. You can kludge a series Land Rover together
    and expect it to run. And the parts used don't even have to be assembled
    correctly and the darn things will still run. Pretty amazing.

    My Land Rover has the wrong engine and gearbox and it runs just fine.
    But I am one of those people who are anal retentive about proper assembly
    and using parts that are both correct for their intended use and in very
    good or better condition.

    The fact that I take pride in a properly assembled Land Rover hybrid
    whose parts are in good working condition is one of my personal hangups
    that doesn't need to be shared by every other Land Rover owner.

    I know some people who take a great deal of pride in the fact that their
    Land Rover still runs in spite of its condition. Still others that take
    a great deal of pride in such things as engineering a way to keep the
    high low range shifter from rattling when the less than two dollar anti
    rattle spring falls out. The challenge of designing an alternate method
    of keeping the lever from rattling is to them at lot more interesting
    than just replacing the spring. Heck I take a great deal of pride in
    coming up with a different power plant that allows my Land Rover to
    safely climb steeper grades.

    So my apologies in trying to force you and others into the kind of Land
    Rover maintenance I feel a personal need to perform. There are many ways
    to maintain and enjoy a Land Rover.

    SO please accept my apologies and maintain your own Land Rover in a way
    that makes you happiest. Just excuse my postings on the subject as those
    of an old lady with a torque wrench and compression gauge fetish.

    TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
    Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
    twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

    http://www.shadow-catcher.net <- Photography for sale
    http://www.overlander.net <- Web directory for Land Rover
    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman <- My personal web site

    "In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy
    traveler. Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."