Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #343

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:36:05 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Wednesday, April 18 2001 Volume 01 : Number 343

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:09:29 -0400
From: "Hank Rutherford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Vapor lock, a solution?

In the past, to cure vapor lock problems, I have used steel fuel/brake line
with a piece of rubber fuel line slid over it in hot areas. You generally
have to go up a size in rubber to allow a slip fit, but it works great and
doesn't look bad if done right. Kind of reduces the line vibration too if it
is a tad shorter than the steel one.

Hank Rutherford
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:07:34 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Diff housings leaks

Well I destroyed the rear diff. today because the rear cover Rusted
through and I didn't catch it in time.  I can't find a replacement cover,
does someone know of a source?  In lieu of a new one I could cut weld and
bang out a new one but I don't want to get in to that much work right
now.  I was thinking of fiberglass mat and epoxy over the entire cover. 
Any other suggestions.  What else have others done?

thanks
chris hall

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:34:49 -0700
From: Winn Bearden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: 6.2 diesels

Hope Peter wrote:

>
> Samuri in the UK has been doing them for years.
>

Go ahead and install a head milling machine in the back of your Rover and keep
stocked up on the thick head gaskets..... you'll need them.

- --
Winn Bearden          19XX SIIa/SIII/RR 100" Hybrid
P.O. Box 464          1967 NADA 109" SW (in pieces)
Americus, GA 31709    1996 4.0 SE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:43:26 -0500
From: "oldhaven" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: special tool

> So
> I'm curious why all of a sudden it's become necessary to have some sort of
> "special tool" to take the back end off the transmission and install or
> de-install the output gear? 

I can't believe anyone would use a  cold chisel for this.  I have a big old 
marlinspike with a flat end and a five pound hammer that works much better and 
doesn't destroy the castellated nut in the process.

Ron Franklin
Bowdoin Maine USA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:58:40 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Diff housings leaks

- --part1_60.d8886bb.280e5ce0_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 4/17/01 6:20:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> In lieu of a new one I could cut weld and
> bang out a new one but I don't want to get in to that much work right
> now.  

Popular replacement is the bottom of an old freon tank, (now less common than 
in past years).

Zack

- --part1_60.d8886bb.280e5ce0_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/17/01 6:20:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
<BR>[email-masked] writes:
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In lieu of a new one I could cut weld and
<BR>bang out a new one but I don't want to get in to that much work right
<BR>now. &nbsp;I was thinking of fiberglass mat and epoxy over the entire cover</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">
<BR>Popular replacement is the bottom of an old freon tank, (now less common than 
<BR>in past years).
<BR>
<BR>Zack</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_60.d8886bb.280e5ce0_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:29:48 -0700
From: "Rich & Lori Williams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Series II Thermostat

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C0C785.877F0440
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Does anyone on the list have a Series II motor with a IIa thermostat and =
housing?

Here's the situation:  I am replacing my old Series II thermostat with a =
new one.  Trouble is that the SII units are NLA according to the boys in =
Vermont.  RN says that I have to switch to the SIIa unit and also change =
the top housing for the thermostat.  Fine, send it on out.  When it =
arrived today at my office I realized that this SIIa top housing it is =
radically different from the top housing on the SII in that it has a =
placement for the radiator hose but nothingh else.  The IIa design =
appears to have a seperate cast peice off to the side  that is for the =
by pass to the water pump and I am not sure where the hose for the =
heater goes as I haven't seen a IIa motor in detail. =20

So my question is basically related to what one does when they have a =
Series II motor (head) and have to replace the thermostat with a newer =
version.  Do you replumb the flow to the heater and by-pass?  Is there =
another thermostat that works instead of the IIa unit?  Or is there a =
completely different way to go about doing this?

FWIW - I have the original SII radiator, though it was re-cored.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.  Or better yet, if =
someone could point me in the direction of any photo online showing the =
SII setup that has been re-done to accomodate the SIIa thermostat, that =
would be great too.  If someone can also email pics of the same, =
off-list of course.

Many thanks,=20

Rich Williams
1960 Series II 109 Station Wagon "Lucy"
(now taking up most of my parent's 3-car garage - thanks guys ;-))

- ------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C0C785.877F0440
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anyone on the list have a Series =
II motor with=20
a IIa thermostat and housing?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here's the situation:&nbsp; I am =
replacing my old=20
Series II thermostat with a new one.&nbsp; Trouble is that the SII units =
are NLA=20
according to the boys in Vermont.&nbsp; RN&nbsp;says that I have to=20
switch&nbsp;to the SIIa unit and also change the top housing for the=20
thermostat.&nbsp; Fine, send it on out.&nbsp; When it arrived today at =
my office=20
I realized that&nbsp;this SIIa top housing it is radically different =
from the=20
top housing on the SII in that it has a placement for the radiator hose =
but=20
nothingh else.&nbsp; The IIa design appears to have a seperate cast =
peice off to=20
the side&nbsp;&nbsp;that is for the by pass to the water pump and I am =
not sure=20
where the hose&nbsp;for the heater goes as I haven't seen a IIa motor in =

detail.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So my question is basically related to =
what one=20
does when they have a Series II motor (head) and have to replace the =
thermostat=20
with a newer version.&nbsp; Do you replumb the&nbsp;flow to the heater =
and=20
by-pass?&nbsp; Is there another thermostat that works instead of the IIa =

unit?&nbsp; Or is there a completely different way to go about doing=20
this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>FWIW - I have the original SII =
radiator, though it=20
was re-cored.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any insight into this would be greatly=20
appreciated.&nbsp; Or better yet, if someone could point me in the =
direction=20
of&nbsp;any photo online showing the SII setup that has been re-done to=20
accomodate the SIIa thermostat, that would be great too.&nbsp;&nbsp;If =
someone=20
can also email pics of the same, off-list of course.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rich Williams</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1960 Series II 109 Station Wagon=20
"Lucy"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(now taking up most of my parent's =
3-car garage -=20
thanks guys ;-))</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C0C785.877F0440--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:12:13 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: East Range

ANother Aloha update :-)
http://www.aloharovers.com
Photos are up from East Range, hope you enjoy.
http://www.aloharovers.com/eastrange.htm
I also put up a couple of photos of the engine Robert just got from RDS.
http://www.aloharovers.com/rdsengine.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:05:47 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: East Range

Nice pictures of your East Range Adventure.  Only problem is the pictures 
don't show how scary it was.  Amazing how hard it is to photograph reality.  
Every time I tried to get pictures of scary waves while we were sailing, 
they came out looking like a mill pond.

Update on roll bars, etc.

I need two full roll cages for 88's like yours that will take the place of 
the hoops.

For the 109, I would like a single roll bar that will go in the extra holes 
at the front corners of the rear bed.  109's have the same hoop holes as the 
88 where the front top hoops go and another set slightly aft at the inside 
corners of the rear bed.  The official military roll bar goes in this second 
set of pukas and has a reinforcing bracket that bolts in the bed to 
reinforce the corner of the bed and add support to the bar.  The 109 bar 
doesn't need to be full height or have any brackets welded to it, except 
possibly seat belt anchors also possibly a rear brace that would bolt to the 
cap rail.

My non stock bumper is a C shaped extrusion with rounded corners similar to 
the stock bumper but its made out of an extrusion that is almost twice as 
thick as the stock bumper.  If you can just bend the sections like you've 
done yours and I'll have them welded here.  I'd like the center 'u' bar to 
be spaced a little wider than yours cause my lights are in the breakfast.

Have installed the rear parabolics while R and R'ing the starter motor and 
retorquing the head.  Will get it motivating tomorrow and see how much a 
difference the rear parabolic springs are.  May even get to the front 
springs tomorrow.  Have given up on doing a comparison with the TI Console 
springs for the moment.  By the way, after R and R'ing the starter, I'm glad 
I don't have headers.  Enough of a PITA to have to remove the exhast pipe.  
Glad I didn't have to take off the exhaust manifold, as well.

Aloha
Peter

>From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: "Mendo_Recce" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: East Range
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:12:13 -1000
>
>ANother Aloha update :-)
>http://www.aloharovers.com
>Photos are up from East Range, hope you enjoy.
>http://www.aloharovers.com/eastrange.htm
>I also put up a couple of photos of the engine Robert just got from RDS.
>http://www.aloharovers.com/rdsengine.htm
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:18:20 +0100
From: "Steve Mace" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re:  fuel line fittings

Heck that's very neighbourly of you.... Can I volunteer my vehicle for testing 
as well? :-) 
Free fuel... sounds great.

On 17 Apr 2001, at 9:43, Faure, Marin wrote:

> The only time I ever saw this 
> work was when a co-worker bought them for his new Plymouth, and 
> we started pouring a gallon or two of fuel into his car every day 
> at lunchtime.

Steve

1972 SIII LtWt Green
1993 D90 Red
- -------------------------------------
Name: Dr Steve Mace
E-mail: [email-masked]
www: http://www.solwise.co.uk
Tel: 0845 458 4558 (local rate)
Fax: 0845 458 4559
Intl. Fax. +44 1482 621877
- -------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:27:28 -0600
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Luis_Ml_Guti=E9rrez?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

From: John Cranfield <[email-masked]>
> If you are going to go the flat 6 route why not upgrade
> to the Subaru unit. After all we are all assured that Japanese engines
> are the best.
> John and Muddy
>

Well, the 2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the WRZ,
which I understand that you people in North America don't get, is an
impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a little tweaking
it can give much more.

Of course it is imposible to associate it in any way with a LR, but....
the point is its a beautiful engine.

 Luis M.

- ---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.237 / Virus Database: 115 - Release Date: 07/03/01

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:09:40 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: 6.5 Diesel

<http://www.enginecore.com/>
Check this out.
I know nothing about it so I can make no recomendations.
John and Muddy

"Neal P. Dion" wrote:
> 
> Hi -
> Not a lot of LR content here, but I need some help and I've seen this engine
> mentioned many times in the past on this list.  I have a Chevy 3500HD one
> ton with the 6.5 turbo engine in it.  This truck is a key part of my
> business and this past Monday it finally gave up the ghost.  About 190,000
> miles and I've worked it hard, no major problems till now and no complaints.
> Have not dropped the pan yet, but I suspect that a piston will fall on my
> head when I do - engine is a write off.
> My question - does anyone know of a source  for this engine, either
> remanufactured or used.  GM gave me an estimate of just under $10K for the
> job ( $7400 for just the long block) and that's assuming that the existing
> injection system and turbo are reusable.  The truck is in good shape, but
> it's a 93 and it's tough to justify that kind of expenditure.  Any web sites
> that I should check?    I'm located in New Hampshire.
> Thanks for the help.
> LR Content - I started the Ser. 3 this past weekend.  Started right up (more
> or less!), need to do the front brakes, get it inspected and I'm on the road
> for another season.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:43:24 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Series II Thermostat

If they sent you the right bits it's a bolt-on swap. The top unit should
basically have the same ins and outs and the II unit - when I get home I'll
have a look at mine and E-photo if needs be.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:44:09 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Diff housings leaks

The cans that freon and similar ar supplied in are just the right size to
weld in place over the existing flange of the axle.
Of course you won't be emptying a can of freon and destroying the ozone
layer just to repair yoour diff. Check with local HVAC repair shop.

> Well I destroyed the rear diff. today because the rear cover Rusted
> through and I didn't catch it in time.  I can't find a replacement cover,
> does someone know of a source?  

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:54:15 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Help Wanted

It's the top of the pedal.  The pin can move back and forth.  How do you
get
the pedal out of the "box" and then the pin out of the pedal and then
lastly,
the whole lot out of my life?  :-) Thanks.

OK, I just repaired one of these myself.

First off, it's not a nightmare to disassemble. With the pedal box on the
bench, remove the cross pin holding the centre pin in place. To be honest I
usually just break these as they tend to rust in place - a taper pin of the
proper size is a good replacement.

Then, the pivot pin can be knocked out - this usually requires a support
under the pedal box, a drift and a hefty mallet to accomplish, depending on
the rust and corrosion. Heat can be useful here too...

With the cross pin out, the pedal should come out of the pedal box. The bit
you've got problems with is at the top of the pedal - the assembly being a
sleeve with the cross pin running through it and the top of the pedal.

If you knock out the cross pin you'll see the wear - the edges of the pedal
wore away the pin (and the edges of the holes...). What I did was to take a
bit of steel bar of the proper size (don't remember but 5/8 sounds right -
check yours first). Cut it to length and cross-drill it with a hole the
proper size for the pushrod, and chamfer the edges of the cross-drilling.

If you look at the pedal you'll see where the hole's gone out of round - a
few judicious taps with a hammer will pull in a lot of the ovaling.

Assembly is of course the reverse of disassembly...<>grin>

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:30:42 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: People's Republic....

Reminds me of a friend in highschool (1984?) who had sewn an Izod-Lacoste alligator mounting another one on his shirt.  Got yanked right out of algebra and was sent home for the day....

>>> [email-masked] 04/17/01 05:11PM >>>
I don't have a fish of any variety as I am under the impression that acts
speak clearly and symbolism is propaganda.  I believe, however, that the
Darwin symbol indicates that the individual believes survival of the fittest
is a better explaination for human existence than devine creation.

I saw a deviant twist on the symbols once that I thought quite humorous.  It
was a Darwin fish mounting a Jesus fish.  I'm pretty sure the fellow with
that displayed on the back of his car might have been an atheist.

Bryan
62 88
71 109 "Genie" 

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tim Czajka [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 1:48 PM
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: LRO: Re: People's Republic....

Alan Richer wrote:
>Should introduce her to the Darwin fish I have on mine.....<grin>
>
I have been wondering about this for some time.
Here in Colorado there are many vehicles with these
fish type emblems.  I understand that the plain fish
emblems are religious in nature.  The owners are
indicating their Christian faith.

But what about these Darwin fish emblems?  What are
they symbolic of and what are the owners of these
emblems trying to say?  Since they appear to be a
play on the plain fish - are these Darwin fish
supposed to be symbolic of atheism?

Tim Czajka
1972 Series III 88
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:57:11 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: 6.5 Diesel

enginecore.com lists several vendors with long block prices hovering in
the 1500-2000 range.
- -- 
Bill Adams
Motion Graphics/3D Design Director
IBB Broadcast Design Center, Washington DC
[email-masked]
202-205-9638

1966 Land Rover 2A 109SW Diesel
1981 Honda GoldWing Standard
1963 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:05:51 
From: "Chris Oles" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Diesel web source

Try enginecore.com.  Found a long block for your truck out there for $2500.  
Hopefully it helps.  Also there are some Mercruiser enignes there ars well 
as Iron Duke-type engines as well as a 2.25 (rover content!)

Chris
70 SIIa 88

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:41:18 -0400
From: "Neal P. Dion" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: 6.5 Diesel

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:18:51 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: getting out

- --part1_6c.9b19b95.280eee3b_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

How do I get out of receiving LRO mail?  

- --part1_6c.9b19b95.280eee3b_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>How do I get out of receiving LRO mail? &nbsp;</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_6c.9b19b95.280eee3b_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:20:47 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: East Range

Peter,

How was that leaf spring swap?  I'm thinking of tackling that myself this summer.  Hacksaws, torches, the works?  I'm looking at the standard suspension kit from AB, by the way.  Any tips from a BTDT?

Ron "in need of a spinal adjustment" Ward

>>> [email-masked] 04/18/01 04:05AM >>>
Nice pictures of your East Range Adventure.  Only problem is the pictures 
don't show how scary it was.  Amazing how hard it is to photograph reality.  
Every time I tried to get pictures of scary waves while we were sailing, 
they came out looking like a mill pond.

Update on roll bars, etc.

I need two full roll cages for 88's like yours that will take the place of 
the hoops.

For the 109, I would like a single roll bar that will go in the extra holes 
at the front corners of the rear bed.  109's have the same hoop holes as the 
88 where the front top hoops go and another set slightly aft at the inside 
corners of the rear bed.  The official military roll bar goes in this second 
set of pukas and has a reinforcing bracket that bolts in the bed to 
reinforce the corner of the bed and add support to the bar.  The 109 bar 
doesn't need to be full height or have any brackets welded to it, except 
possibly seat belt anchors also possibly a rear brace that would bolt to the 
cap rail.

My non stock bumper is a C shaped extrusion with rounded corners similar to 
the stock bumper but its made out of an extrusion that is almost twice as 
thick as the stock bumper.  If you can just bend the sections like you've 
done yours and I'll have them welded here.  I'd like the center 'u' bar to 
be spaced a little wider than yours cause my lights are in the breakfast.

Have installed the rear parabolics while R and R'ing the starter motor and 
retorquing the head.  Will get it motivating tomorrow and see how much a 
difference the rear parabolic springs are.  May even get to the front 
springs tomorrow.  Have given up on doing a comparison with the TI Console 
springs for the moment.  By the way, after R and R'ing the starter, I'm glad 
I don't have headers.  Enough of a PITA to have to remove the exhast pipe.  
Glad I didn't have to take off the exhaust manifold, as well.

Aloha
Peter

>From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked] 
>To: "Mendo_Recce" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: East Range
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:12:13 -1000
>
>ANother Aloha update :-)
>http://www.aloharovers.com 
>Photos are up from East Range, hope you enjoy.
>http://www.aloharovers.com/eastrange.htm 
>I also put up a couple of photos of the engine Robert just got from RDS.
>http://www.aloharovers.com/rdsengine.htm 
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:14:11 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Re: People's Republic....

RON WARD wrote:
> 
> Reminds me of a friend in highschool (1984?) who had sewn an Izod-Lacoste alligator mounting another one on his shirt.  Got yanked right out of algebra and was sent home for the day....
> 

Hmm, even further off the topic, but to keep the attention of our
Antipodian cousins: A couple years ago the SA national rugby team did a
number of the Oz national team. The Mail & Guardian ran a huge front
page colour illustration of a springbok doing the dirty to a surprised
looking kangaroo :-{)}
 
Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:32:51 -0600
From: Ivan Van Laningham <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Those DC-3/C-47s

Hi All--
Still working my way through the slides I took in Vietnam; I ran across
a shot of some C-47s.  See

	http://www.pauahtun.org/arvn-2.html

Maybe someone with sharper eyes than mine can figure out the tail
number.

Thanks,
Ivan
- ----------------------------------------------
Ivan Van Laningham
Symantec
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:41:43 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO:AC Delco 10si was Bosch alternator for SIIa?

An update on the dual pulley hunt - a visit to a wrecking yard yielded the 
pulley off a 1985 Tempo (that's all I know of the donor - the alternator 
was in a 55 gallon drum with about 100 others). Seems like it should do the 
trick. Now all I have to do is fit it.

Keith Tanner and Basil, who won't be so dim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:10:24 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

<html><head></head><body>I believe that motor is coming to the US this fall is it not?<br>
<br>
Luis Ml Guti&eacute;rrez wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:006a01c0b957$d792f680$66010101@legal01"><pre wrap="">From: John Cranfield <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br></pre>
  <blockquote type="cite"><pre wrap="">If you are going to go the flat 6 route why not upgrade<br>to the Subaru unit. After all we are all assured that Japanese engines<br>are the best.<br>John and Muddy<br><br></pre></blockquote>
    <pre wrap=""><!----><br><br>Well, the 2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the WRZ,<br>which I understand that you people in North America don't get, is an<br>impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a little tweaking<br>it can give much more.<br><br>Of course it is imposible to associate it in any way with a LR, but....<br>the point is its a beautiful engine.<br><br><br> Luis M.</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:16:51 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO:AC Delco 10si was Bosch alternator for SIIa?

>Basil, who won't be so dim

DIm is one thing - but is Basil presently Fawlty?

               aj"ow!"r

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:23:15 -0400
From: Matt Peckham <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0C813.1CDE1868
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

plus, I think it's a 2.5.  I could be wrong.
=20
=20

- -----Original Message-----
From: Perrone Ford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 10:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

I believe that motor is coming to the US this fall is it not?

Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez wrote:

From: John Cranfield   <mailto:[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>

If you are going to go the flat 6 route why not upgrade
to the Subaru unit. After all we are all assured that Japanese engines
are the best.
John and Muddy

Well, the 2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,
which I understand that you people in North America don't get, is an
impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a little =
tweaking
it can give much more.

Of course it is imposible to associate it in any way with a LR, but....
the point is its a beautiful engine.

 Luis M.

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0C813.1CDE1868
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>plus,=20
I think it's a 2.5.&nbsp; I could be wrong.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Perrone Ford=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 18, =
2001 10:10=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: LRO: Iron =
Duke=20
  conversion<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>I believe that motor is coming to the =
US this=20
  fall is it not?<BR><BR>Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez wrote:<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"mid:006a01c0b957$d792f680$66010101@legal01" =
type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">From: John Cranfield <A =
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]=
patico.ca&gt;</A><BR></PRE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">If you are going to go the =
flat 6 route why not upgrade<BR>to the Subaru unit. After all we are =
all assured that Japanese engines<BR>are the best.<BR>John and =
Muddy<BR><BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----><BR><BR>Well, the =
2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,<BR>which I understand that you people in North America don't get, =
is an<BR>impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a =
little tweaking<BR>it can give much more.<BR><BR>Of course it is =
imposible to associate it in any way with a LR, but....<BR>the point is =
its a beautiful engine.<BR><BR><BR> Luis =
M.</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0C813.1CDE1868--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:29:35 -0500
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Luis_Ml_Guti=E9rrez?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C0C7E1.B3623260
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Not the top-of-the-line one.
The US is going to receive a tuned down version.
Something like 20-30 HP less than the japanese and rest of the world =
one.
There is an article on May issue of Road & Track

Luis M.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Perrone Ford=20

  I believe that motor is coming to the US this fall is it not?

  Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez wrote:

From: John Cranfield mailto:<[email-masked]
If you are going to go the flat 6 route why not upgradeto the Subaru =
unit. After all we are all assured that Japanese enginesare the =
best.John and Muddy
Well, the 2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,which I understand that you people in North America don't get, is =
animpresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a little =
twea
kingit can give much more.Of course it is imposible to associate it in =
any way with a LR, but....the point is its a beautiful engine. Luis M.

  ---
  Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
  Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
  Version: 6.0.249 / Virus Database: 122 - Release Date: 14/04/01

- ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C0C7E1.B3623260
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2722.2800" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Not the top-of-the-line =
one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The US is going to receive a tuned down =

version.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Something like 20-30 HP less than the =
japanese and=20
rest of the world one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is an article on May issue of =
Road &amp;=20
Track</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Luis M.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
title=[email-masked]>Perrone=20
  Ford</A> </DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>I believe that motor is coming to the US this fall is =
it=20
  not?<BR><BR>Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez wrote:<BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"mid:006a01c0b957$d792f680$66010101@legal01" =
type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">From: John Cranfield <A =
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:<[email-masked]">mailto:&lt;john.cranfield=
@ns.sympatico.ca</A><BR></PRE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">If you are going to go the =
flat 6 route why not upgrade<BR>to the Subaru unit. After all we are all =
assured that Japanese engines<BR>are the best.<BR>John and =
Muddy<BR><BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----><BR><BR>Well, the =
2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,<BR>which I understand that you people in North America don't get, =
is an<BR>impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a =
little twea
king<BR>it can give much more.<BR><BR>Of course it is imposible to =
associate it in any way with a LR, but....<BR>the point is its a =
beautiful engine.<BR><BR><BR> Luis M.</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT=20
  face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is certified Virus =
Free.<BR>Checked=20
  by AVG anti-virus system (<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com</A>).<BR>Version: =
6.0.249=20
  / Virus Database: 122 - Release Date: =
14/04/01</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C0C7E1.B3623260--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:43:12 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Diff housings leaks

Chris
    Do you have a Salisbury diff?

Bill
GBR

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 01 07:45:07 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Diff housings leaks

>Well I destroyed the rear diff. today because the rear cover Rusted
>through and I didn't catch it in time.  I can't find a replacement cover,
>does someone know of a source?  

Since you mention rear cover may I assume you are dealing with a 
Salisbury?

Go to an off road shop and choose from a wide selection of chromed steel 
or finned case aluminum Dana 60 rear cover plates.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:59:40 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: San Diego area Rovers?

- --part1_14.12bfedc6.280f05dc_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I will be in San diego next week anyone in the So. Cal Area want to have a 
lunch and talk rovers reply off list 

Dave Walls
Altoona PA
1965 IIa 88

- --part1_14.12bfedc6.280f05dc_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I will be in San diego next week anyone in the So. Cal Area want to have a 
<BR>lunch and talk rovers reply off list 
<BR>
<BR>Dave Walls
<BR>Altoona PA
<BR>1965 IIa 88</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_14.12bfedc6.280f05dc_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:36:37 -0500
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Luis_Ml_Guti=E9rrez?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C0C7EB.109ADB40
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

They have to be up to 2.0L to compete in the WRC.
=20
Luis M.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matt Peckham=20

  plus, I think it's a 2.5.  I could be wrong.
  =20
  =20
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Perrone Ford [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 10:10 AM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: LRO: Iron Duke conversion

    I believe that motor is coming to the US this fall is it not?

    Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez wrote:

From: John Cranfield <[email-masked]>
If you are going to go the flat 6 route why not upgradeto the Subaru =
unit. After all we are all assured that Japanese enginesare the =
best.John and Muddy
Well, the 2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,which I understand that you people in North America don't get, is =
animpresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a little =
tweakingit can give much more.Of course it is imposible to associate it =
in any way with a LR, but....the point is its a beautiful engine. Luis =
M.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.249 / Virus Database: 122 - Release Date: 14/04/01

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C0C7EB.109ADB40
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2722.2800" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>They have to be up to 2.0L to compete =
in the=20
WRC.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Luis M.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
title=[email-masked]>Matt=20
  Peckham</A> </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001><FONT color=3D#0000ff =
face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2>plus, I think it's a 2.5.&nbsp; I could be =
wrong.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001><FONT color=3D#0000ff =
face=3DArial=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D282032814-18042001></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE>
    <DIV align=3Dleft class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Perrone Ford [<A =

    =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</A>]<BR><B=
>Sent:</B>=20
    Wednesday, April 18, 2001 10:10 AM<BR><B>To:</B> <A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A><BR><B>Subject:<=
/B>=20
    Re: LRO: Iron Duke conversion<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>I believe that =
motor is=20
    coming to the US this fall is it not?<BR><BR>Luis Ml Guti=E9rrez =
wrote:<BR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite" =
cite=3D"mid:006a01c0b957$d792f680$66010101@legal01"><PRE wrap=3D"">From: =
John Cranfield <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]=
atico.ca&gt;</A><BR></PRE>
      <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">If you are going to go =
the flat 6 route why not upgrade<BR>to the Subaru unit. After all we are =
all assured that Japanese engines<BR>are the best.<BR>John and =
Muddy<BR><BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----><BR><BR>Well, the =
2.0 liter turbo flat four that comes in the Impreza GT or the =
WRZ,<BR>which I understand that you people in North America don't get, =
is an<BR>impresive unit, and pumps something like 240 HP, and with a =
little tweaking<BR>it can give much more.<BR><BR>Of course it is =
imposible to associate it in any way with a LR, but....<BR>the point is =
its a beautiful engine.<BR><BR><BR> Luis M.</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <BLOCKQUOTE><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>---<BR>Outgoing mail is =
certified=20
    Virus Free.<BR>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com</A>).<BR>Version: =

    6.0.249 / Virus Database: 122 - Release Date:=20
14/04/01</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C0C7EB.109ADB40--

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #343
**********************************************