LRO: Pranks (was steering clunk)

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 12:03:57 EDT

    Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:10:52 -0600
    From: "William J. Rice" <jarvis64@juno.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

    >Hear hear! BTW, I was just beginning to think you
    were an OK human til you told all
    of us about your evil prank on the guy with the magnets.

    We wouldn't have done it except the guy was just so
    ADAMANT about how fabulous these stupid magnets
    were. And here's another one you can use on your
    friends who've just finished a complete rebuild of a
    Series Land Rover and are annoying the hell out of
    you with their blather about what a wonderful vehicle
    they've created. I cannot take credit for this prank;
    it was one of my co-workers.

    Back in the mid-80s our manager purchased
    a brand new motorcycle, one of those Honda
    sideways-V-twins, I think. Of course, he went on
    and on about how incredible this motorcycle was,
    until the rest of us started ducking into other
    rooms when we saw him coming. My
    co-worker, who will remain nameless even
    though we all call him "Larry," started pouring
    half a cup of lube oil on the pavement directly
    under the gear case of our manager's bike
    at lunchtime. Our manager became frantic,
    convinced that his new baby had a serious
    problem. He took it to the dealer several times,
    but of course the dealer found nothing wrong.

    Larry eased off on the lube-oil thing after a few weeks,
    but perhaps once a month or so for the next two years,
    he'd pour some oil under the bike, as it very effectively
    put a stop to the "my motorcycle is the most amazing
    machine on the planet" diatribes. So if you have an
    annoying friend who's bugging you with his "my Land
    Rover's perfect" speeches, grab yourself a container of
    engine oil and pour a bit under the front and rear crank
    seals of the engine. The front seal area is pretty easy to get
    at without having to crawl under anything. Or pour a little
    puddle of 90 wt. under the steering relay or one of the swivel
    balls. A few days of this will put a quick end to those
    "mine's better than yours" taunts.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com