Re: LRO: Help Wanted

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 07:54:15 EDT

    It's the top of the pedal. The pin can move back and forth. How do you
    get
    the pedal out of the "box" and then the pin out of the pedal and then
    lastly,
    the whole lot out of my life? :-) Thanks.

    OK, I just repaired one of these myself.

    First off, it's not a nightmare to disassemble. With the pedal box on the
    bench, remove the cross pin holding the centre pin in place. To be honest I
    usually just break these as they tend to rust in place - a taper pin of the
    proper size is a good replacement.

    Then, the pivot pin can be knocked out - this usually requires a support
    under the pedal box, a drift and a hefty mallet to accomplish, depending on
    the rust and corrosion. Heat can be useful here too...

    With the cross pin out, the pedal should come out of the pedal box. The bit
    you've got problems with is at the top of the pedal - the assembly being a
    sleeve with the cross pin running through it and the top of the pedal.

    If you knock out the cross pin you'll see the wear - the edges of the pedal
    wore away the pin (and the edges of the holes...). What I did was to take a
    bit of steel bar of the proper size (don't remember but 5/8 sounds right -
    check yours first). Cut it to length and cross-drill it with a hole the
    proper size for the pushrod, and chamfer the edges of the cross-drilling.

    If you look at the pedal you'll see where the hole's gone out of round - a
    few judicious taps with a hammer will pull in a lot of the ovaling.

    Assembly is of course the reverse of disassembly...<>grin>

                        ajr