Re: LRO: East Range

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 04:05:47 EDT

    Nice pictures of your East Range Adventure. Only problem is the pictures
    don't show how scary it was. Amazing how hard it is to photograph reality.
    Every time I tried to get pictures of scary waves while we were sailing,
    they came out looking like a mill pond.

    Update on roll bars, etc.

    I need two full roll cages for 88's like yours that will take the place of
    the hoops.

    For the 109, I would like a single roll bar that will go in the extra holes
    at the front corners of the rear bed. 109's have the same hoop holes as the
    88 where the front top hoops go and another set slightly aft at the inside
    corners of the rear bed. The official military roll bar goes in this second
    set of pukas and has a reinforcing bracket that bolts in the bed to
    reinforce the corner of the bed and add support to the bar. The 109 bar
    doesn't need to be full height or have any brackets welded to it, except
    possibly seat belt anchors also possibly a rear brace that would bolt to the
    cap rail.

    My non stock bumper is a C shaped extrusion with rounded corners similar to
    the stock bumper but its made out of an extrusion that is almost twice as
    thick as the stock bumper. If you can just bend the sections like you've
    done yours and I'll have them welded here. I'd like the center 'u' bar to
    be spaced a little wider than yours cause my lights are in the breakfast.

    Have installed the rear parabolics while R and R'ing the starter motor and
    retorquing the head. Will get it motivating tomorrow and see how much a
    difference the rear parabolic springs are. May even get to the front
    springs tomorrow. Have given up on doing a comparison with the TI Console
    springs for the moment. By the way, after R and R'ing the starter, I'm glad
    I don't have headers. Enough of a PITA to have to remove the exhast pipe.
    Glad I didn't have to take off the exhaust manifold, as well.

    Aloha
    Peter