LRO: Series II Thermostat

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 00:29:48 EDT

    Does anyone on the list have a Series II motor with a IIa thermostat and housing?

    Here's the situation: I am replacing my old Series II thermostat with a new one. Trouble is that the SII units are NLA according to the boys in Vermont. RN says that I have to switch to the SIIa unit and also change the top housing for the thermostat. Fine, send it on out. When it arrived today at my office I realized that this SIIa top housing it is radically different from the top housing on the SII in that it has a placement for the radiator hose but nothingh else. The IIa design appears to have a seperate cast peice off to the side that is for the by pass to the water pump and I am not sure where the hose for the heater goes as I haven't seen a IIa motor in detail.

    So my question is basically related to what one does when they have a Series II motor (head) and have to replace the thermostat with a newer version. Do you replumb the flow to the heater and by-pass? Is there another thermostat that works instead of the IIa unit? Or is there a completely different way to go about doing this?

    FWIW - I have the original SII radiator, though it was re-cored.

    Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Or better yet, if someone could point me in the direction of any photo online showing the SII setup that has been re-done to accomodate the SIIa thermostat, that would be great too. If someone can also email pics of the same, off-list of course.

    Many thanks,

    Rich Williams
    1960 Series II 109 Station Wagon "Lucy"
    (now taking up most of my parent's 3-car garage - thanks guys ;-))