LRO: Fuel Sender Question

From: BSharp4601@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:37:21 EDT

    I'm having few problems with the fuel sender on my '63 IIa. It has been
    converted to negative earth and has a Delco alternator with internal
    regulator, both many years ago.

    The original sender never worked since the day I bought the truck several
    years ago, so a while back and I replaced it with a neg grnd version. OK, it
    reads backwards, a little confusing when changing from one Series truck to
    another, but it was working.

    I recently bought one of the NOS positive grnd senders from Robbers North.
    When I installed it it would read only up to half full and then down to empty
    (and yes, I did bend the float arm for a more accurate level reading). It
    functions and reads in the right direction, but only up to half full. I
    exchanged this sender for another ... same problem. The neg grnd sender gave
    me full travel, it just reads backwards (full is empty, etc.).

    I checked the pos sender and the neg sender on a meter and the neg sender
    gave readings of almost double the pos sender. Does the conversion to the
    alternator / regulator have anything to do with this?

    Any ideas?

    Bob Sharp
    Tucson, AZ
    The slumbering herd on the Rover Ranch:
    52 Series I 80"
    53 Series I 80"
    60 Series II 88"
    63 Series IIa 88"
    71 Series IIa 109"
    96 Discovery Series I

    "Why is it that every project you complete on a Land Rover results in
    knowledge and skills you hope you never need to use again?"