Re: LRO: front cover oil seal -- I need some direction

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 07:36:26 EDT

    >1) Can I drill out the rivet bodies and use small, long screws and bolts
    >with loctite to keep it all together or should I go back with rivets
    >(assuming that I can find some that are long enough), or maybe a new front
    >cover is in order (God, I hope not).

    Screws and sealer are most definitely in order. Thread the holes in the
    cover for machine screws, then the cover can be R&Red from outside, making
    seals a 5-minute job.

    >2) Oil seal: The bronze bushing that was left in there; is it possibly
    >part of the old seal (an original style seal maybe...)? If so, then I
    have
    >to assume that the new replacement seal will fit snug in the hole in the
    >cover against that plate that fell off. Right? The manual isn't
    >super-explicit in this area.

    With the front cover off there should be nothing in the boring in the front
    cover - it should be straight through. Whatever is left in there is
    leftovers - get rid of it. The back of the new seal should fit flush with
    the inside of the cover.

                             ajr

    Thanks and oh, BTW, this is on a 2.25 for a 70 SIIa 88.

    Chris