LRO: Re: metal fuel line question- copper

From: David Cockey (dcockey@tir.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 23:41:57 EDT

    I don't think the flow resistance in the fuel line contributes to vapor
    lock. If you're worried about the resistance heating the fuel up, the heat
    generated by the viscous losses in the fuel line at LR flow rates are
    miniscule, especially compared to the heat transfered to the fuel from the
    hot motor compartment. Rubber hose should be better than metal tubing
    because the rubber will be a much better insulator and the fuel reaching the
    carb will be cooler. If you still want to decrease flow resistance go to a
    larger diameter hose. And if you want to use metal go with plated steel,
    i.e. brake line.

    In the past there have been suggestions to re-route the fuel line to keep
    the fuel cooler. Also, a weak fuel pump can contribute to vapor lock. Have
    you checked fuel line pressure, though I don't know what it should be.

    Regards,
    David Cockey