Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #340

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:16:15 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Monday, April 16 2001 Volume 01 : Number 340

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:09:34 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: grim news...

- --part1_33.13a78656.280c8f5e_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 4/16/01 12:22:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> . 
>     I also have a line on a overdrive that comes out of Australia for the 
> Land Cruiser. I am going to inquire with the company about adapting it to 
> the 
> Rover. Shouldn't be to hard considering they are basicly the same design.
>     Best I can do for the time being.
> 
> 

Bill,

If you could swing that, I'd be interested (as long as there are spares for 
it).  I love my Santana, but I use it as 5th/4 OD almost exclusively, 
because, it's gotta last (no spares AFAIK)

Nate

- --part1_33.13a78656.280c8f5e_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 4/16/01 12:22:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
<BR>[email-masked] writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">. 
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I also have a line on a overdrive that comes out of Australia for the 
<BR>Land Cruiser. I am going to inquire with the company about adapting it to 
<BR>the 
<BR>Rover. Shouldn't be to hard considering they are basicly the same design.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Best I can do for the time being.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Bill,
<BR>
<BR>If you could swing that, I'd be interested (as long as there are spares for 
<BR>it). &nbsp;I love my Santana, but I use it as 5th/4 OD almost exclusively, 
<BR>because, it's gotta last (no spares AFAIK)
<BR>
<BR>Nate</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_33.13a78656.280c8f5e_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:14:36 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:19:26 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Pollution

	Peter wrote
> I don't know the exact figures but there has not been a drastic increase
> in 
> CO2.  There has been an increase, however.  We're talking an increase of 
> .0002%, or something like that, percentage increase in C02 in the 
> atmosphere.  Is it enough to cause a problem??  Is it caused by
> civilization 
> or is there some other cause??
> 
> 
	Isn't there evidence that, but for the invention of the automobile,
New York City would have vanished under a pile of horse poop or been washed
away by horse pee. I guess this is just another of those things we have to
suffer due to progress, as it's still there.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:20:18 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Weird experience

Well, not 'zactly.  The first time I tightened it I used a breaker bar
and Jim's special tool, but it kept slipping out of the nut when I really
gorilla'd on it so I don't think I got it terribly tight.  Yesterday I
just whacked it pretty darn hard w/ a pretty darn hammer and it's pretty
darn tight.  But yesterday was also the last day that tranny will be
driven since my frameover (which includes a tranny replacement) starts
this week.

bill

On Mon, 16 Apr 01 09:34:49 -0700 TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
writes:
> 
> And the chisel allowed you to torque the nut to the 95 foot pounds 
> specified in the workshop manual?  Did you tighten it with a chisel 
> the 
> first time?
> 
> By the way I thought it was a dynamite arm chair diagnosis.
> 
> TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
> Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
> [email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
>                               and more
> 
> http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:28:42 +0100
From: "Neil Brownlee" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

Nobody expects the Spani..........

- -------------------------------------------------------------

Neil

1978 Land Rover Series III 109" Ex-MOD - 'Harriet'
1997 Land Rover Discovery V8i ES - 'Piglet' - XD9000i, Terrain Master Winch
Bumper & Hi-Lift carrier, Bearmach steering/sump guard, Mantec Side
Protection Sills, Scorpion Racing +2" suspension lift, De-Carbon Shocks,
Southdown Fuel Tank Guard, 235/85 General Grabber MT's, WH Wheelcarriers
Diff
Guards
1998 Land Rover Freelander - 'Misty'
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Easton Trevor A" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 7:14 PM
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !!!
>
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:43:56 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel line fittings

Dave, read my post again.  calm yourself.  read again. get it yet? try once 
more.  No good, eh?  well here goes again.

Nitric Oxide, Hydrocarbons, and CO emmissions all down by at least 30%.  
Fuel consumption down 9%.   This was on paper, using MODOT's brand spankin' 
new emissions test equipment. OK, so the sample size is low.  You could ask 
my dad's buddies who recommended it to him, they had similar results.  Or 
his mechanic, who has one on his truck (for 2 years).  Not convinced?  The 
mfr. has farmed out testing to several independant labs in addition to the 
USDE oak ridge national laboratory just in case someone came along calling 
their product snake oil.  or was simply curious.

What else can I say?  Adding this device to a gasoline powered vehicle 
improves its efficiency.  don't believe me, then don't buy it.  But please, 
in lieu of spouting off the next time you don't understand something, just 
ask.  Or better yet, just shut yer pie hole 'til someone w/ a dollop of self 
control does.

- -todd

BTW- tried the twenties around the fuel line trick and it din't do jack.  I 
don't get it.

>Why don't you wrap a bunch of twenties around the fuel line?  It will have
>exactly the same effect on the performance of the vehicle, and when you
>realize how idiotic the thing is, you can take them off and buy gasoline.
>Until you see a study done by qualified scientists, not in the employ of
>who ever makes the thing, that says it actually performs as claimed, it's a
>fraud.
>
>--
>[email-masked]
>Bipedalism is only a fad.
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:21:15 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

> issues...  Be interesting to hear a total number for Christianity 
> (an
> impossibility actually). Ghengis Kahn was quite efficient at 
> disposing of
> people, and even Stalin made Hitler look a bit amateurish.

Yes, and can we analyze protestants and Catholics separately--I think
that might lower the body count considerably.  And let's not forget Pol
Pot, Idi Amin, Augusto Pinochet and a few others.  

I'm with whoever's e-mail this is I'm responding to--people are basically
evil and are just looking for an excuse to go butcher or otherwise
oppress other people.   How else can you explain all of the above (not to
mention the Stanford Prison experiment)?  So let's not blame any
particular religion (or the lack thereof)--those usually amount to
nothing more than rationalizations for death, which folks seem to have
moved beyond needing these days.

bill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:49:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: fuel line fittings 

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Hoult, Bryan wrote:

:Man.....you just trashed his dad.  I hope he doesn't have a big brother.
:

My big brother is an organic chemist.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:04:18 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa

reducer is just fancy paint thinner that allows it to be sprayed (or 
brushed).  the different temp ranges allow some controlling of evaporation 
rate w/ respect to temp.  retarder retards the curing of the enamel itself.  
It simply allows more flow-out of the paint to help heal application 
blemishes... like possible brush marks?  However, I'm not sure if it's only 
for use w/ a hardener, so it may not be of benefit.

And yes it will make you retarded, among other things, if you breathe it...
- -todd

>Retarder?  Thought that was what the reducer did, among other things.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:06:44 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

>From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
>I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !!!
>
>
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:18:57 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: fuel line fittings 

Yeah, well.....that and two bits won't get you a water injection system, or
the 100 mpg carburetor that the oil industry "doesn't want you to know
about".

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

- -----Original Message-----
From: David Scheidt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 11:50 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: LRO: fuel line fittings 

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Hoult, Bryan wrote:

:Man.....you just trashed his dad.  I hope he doesn't have a big brother.
:

My big brother is an organic chemist.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:29:34 
From: "Chris Oles" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

I won't comment on the fuel catalyst (don't want to meet your big brother 
behind the school at 3 pm!) but to answer the question that was asked, I had 
good success using 1/4" NPT fittings when installing my aux tank.  They 
seemed to thread on pretty smooth and we'll see if I screwed it up when I 
finally put some gas in there!

Chris
70 SIIa 88

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:14:20 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: fuel line fittings

Does anyone on the list know the size and thread type of the series fuel
line fittings?
My dad had a fitch fuel catalyst fitted to his van several months ago after
barely squeaking past emmissions. Anyhow, He had it tested afterwards and
his emmissions had dropped significantly.  He also gets 3 mpg more.  I was
rather impressed, and I think cleaner combustion can do nothing but help my
2.25, so I'll try one out.
Regards,
- - -todd
_________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:44:30 -0600
From: "Tim Czajka" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Weird experience

Bill Rice wrote:
>The first time I tightened it I used a breaker bar
>and Jim's special tool
>
I had a loose mainshaft nut and it caused all kinds of problems -
transmission kept popping out of gear etc.  Apparently it allowed
the output gear to slide back and forth.  This popped the tranny
out of gear when changing throttle from power to coast.  Finally
one day I lost all power.  The tranny mainshaft output gear had
slid right off and down into the tcase pan.  Fortunately it
didn't get caught in the revolving tcase gears or crunch!

So what did I do?  I put it back on and wrenched down on that
nut.  Three weeks later that damn output gear was back in the
tcase pan.  Two in the morning at the south end of Horsetooth
reservoir.  Pitch black night.  Fortunately I already knew the
drill.  Covered in gear oil and dirt, with the aid of a
flashlight loaned by one of Fort Collins finest, I managed to
get things put back together and limp home.  You can bet I
loaded on the locktite after that.  No problems since.

Tim Czajka
1972 Series III 88
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 13:08:24 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Weird experience

>So what did I do?  I put it back on and wrenched down on that
>nut.  Three weeks later that damn output gear was back in the
>tcase pan. 

Did you use the keyed lock tab washer that is supposed to keep the nut 
from rotating??

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:32:36 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: fuel line fittings

Thanks so much.

BTW- my brother refuses to scrap over issues backed by empirical data.  Just 
don't go spouting off how global warming is a ruse and you'll be O.K.  He 
gets rather testy over the inferential.

- -todd

>From: "Chris Oles" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:29:34
>
>I won't comment on the fuel catalyst (don't want to meet your big brother
>behind the school at 3 pm!) but to answer the question that was asked, I 
>had
>good success using 1/4" NPT fittings when installing my aux tank.  They
>seemed to thread on pretty smooth and we'll see if I screwed it up when I
>finally put some gas in there!
>
>Chris
>70 SIIa 88

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:45:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: RE: RE: religious stuff and flam

Guys, watch out or I'll make ya sit in the comfy chair.

Simon

 -----Original Message-----
From:	Neil Brownlee [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, April 16, 2001 7:29 PM
To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; SJH;   
[email-masked]
Subject:	LRO: Re: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

Nobody expects the Spani..........

 -------------------------------------------------------------

Neil

1978 Land Rover Series III 109" Ex-MOD - 'Harriet'
1997 Land Rover Discovery V8i ES - 'Piglet' - XD9000i, Terrain Master   
Winch
Bumper & Hi-Lift carrier, Bearmach steering/sump guard, Mantec Side
Protection Sills, Scorpion Racing +2" suspension lift, De-Carbon Shocks,
Southdown Fuel Tank Guard, 235/85 General Grabber MT's, WH Wheelcarriers
Diff
Guards
1998 Land Rover Freelander - 'Misty'
 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Easton Trevor A" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 7:14 PM
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: religious stuff and flame war

> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !!!
>
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:00:13 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: fuel line fittings

Funny thing about big brothers....if they're big enough, the inferential
might as well be the empirical.  All silliness aside, good luck with the
catalyst gizmo.

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

- -----Original Message-----
From: Todd Ondick [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 1:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: fuel line fittings

Thanks so much.

BTW- my brother refuses to scrap over issues backed by empirical data.  Just

don't go spouting off how global warming is a ruse and you'll be O.K.  He 
gets rather testy over the inferential.

- -todd

>From: "Chris Oles" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:29:34
>
>I won't comment on the fuel catalyst (don't want to meet your big brother
>behind the school at 3 pm!) but to answer the question that was asked, I 
>had
>good success using 1/4" NPT fittings when installing my aux tank.  They
>seemed to thread on pretty smooth and we'll see if I screwed it up when I
>finally put some gas in there!
>
>Chris
>70 SIIa 88

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:12:47 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: 300TDI (ridiculous) prices?

Hope Peter wrote:
> A 300tdi seems to go for around 2000lbs UK.  Around
> 2900$ US at current rates.  Add in shipping and it still seems like an
> awfull lot of money for an engine.

Ahem! I didn't want to throw this in the mix (we had a 9 month flamefest
on the za-lro about it), but perhaps you should be aware that the engine
in question is becoming known as the "TDie". Read some of the reports on
http://landyonline.co.za/issues/tdi_longevity.htm before you even
consider this engine.
 
Regards

Paul (there, I feel better now) Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:48:38 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

it's changed for the worse then since I drove up from LA to Oregon when I
worked in the States - mind you, that was in 1972...
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Hope Peter <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2001 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

>
> > >Am I getting this correctly?
> > > Are you lot saying that if you indicate that you want to do something
on
> > >the road, pull over, turn right or left, move into another lane,
someone
> > >will stop you doing it?
> >
> > They are pulling your leg Frank.
> >
> > Actually though, in my part of California a lot of people are using
their
> > turn signals.
>
> I don 't think they are pulling anyones leg.  That is exactly what
happens.
> If you put on the signal so you can move over to the exit, people in that
> lane speed up so you can't get over.  SWMBO is from LA County and told me
> before we went there on vacation, warned me about the drivers.  In the
past
> couple years I have spent a number of times in LA and San Diego and it is
> just as has been described here.  After the first trip I have learned that
I
> need to rent a big fast vehicle just to survive.  The 5 between LA and SD
> and the Santa Monica Frwy have been the worse.  I saw similar agression in
> San Fransisco, San Jose and Pleasanton.  Not so bad in Sacremento or Santa
> Barbara, and I have always found the drive from Malibu to Ventura to be
fun.
> Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:29:35 -0700
From: "Ben Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: Re: RE: RE: religious stuff and flam

Ni!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 14:48:11 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Trans output nut tool

With the recent list threads of loose transmission output gears caused by 
a loose nut and the chisel and hammer method of torquing the nut down, I 
thought I would pass on the results of some recent product research I did.

The Factory workshop manual specifies that the nut is to be torqued down 
to 95 foot pounds.

I just purchased a special tool for torquing down that nut. I looked at 
the offerings of both Rovers North and British Pacific before making my 
purchase decision.

Both offerings are aftermarket tools as the genuine Churchill tools have 
been NLA for a long time.

The British Pacific tool costs $59.  It is machined out of a single piece 
of steel.  It has a hex cap machined at the rear that takes a 7/8ths 
socket.  It is spaced so that a torque wrench with a 7/8ths socket will 
fit nicely out the rear of the transfer case.  The tool has four legs to 
fit between four of the slots in the nut.  

The Rover's North tool (RNT0002) costs $35 plus $5.00 for the short 
removable bar handle.  It is cylindrical with small legs for each of the 
nut's indentations.  It has a hole that runs transversely through the 
tool near the rear end.  The bar handle is fairly short (about a foot?).  
There is no way to attach a torque wrench to the Rover's North tool.  You 
are supposed to insert the bar into the transverse hole near the end of 
the tool and exert enough pressure to tighten the nut.

The Land Rover workshop manual states that the nut is supposed to be 
torqued down to 95 foot pounds of torque.  Looking at the short bar 
handle I wasn't sure how that could be accomplished so I sent RN an 
e-mail and asked.

The reply stated:

"The tool we supply (RNT0002) is designed for the
D.I.Y. mechanic, many of which do not possess torque wrenches."

Which of course did not answer my question of how one uses the tool to 
achieve 95 foot pounds of torque.

However the reply did go on to state that RN does rent a nut tightening 
tool that will allow you to use a torque wrench.

"The cost of rental is $25.00 for the first two weeks
 and $25.00 per week after that.  The deposit is $150.00."

Plus the renter pays shipping both ways.

Since I did not want to risk a loose output gear, I purchased my tool 
from British Pacific.  If I was not in a hurry I would have considered 
renting the proper tool from RN (The nut was properly torqued within 5 
minutes of opening the package).  There is no way I would consider paying 
for a tool that could not allow me achieve the Factory specified torque 
on the nut.

The Rover's North two week rental period just about takes all the surface 
UPS shipping time between the East and West coasts.  So if you are  on 
the West coast you would either need to pay additional UPS shipping 
charges or get the tool back to UPS the day after it arrives to avoid an 
extra $25 rental fee.

Bottom line is 95 foot pounds plus a new lock tab washer prevents a large 
number of gearbox/transfer case symptoms (loud whine, popping out of 
gears, etc.). And it takes a special tool to achieve the factory 
specified torque.  Rover's North rents a tool that will do the job, 
British Pacific sells a tool that will do the job.  So there is no excuse 
for not doing it correctly.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:27:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: metal fuel line question- copper

Is there a reason to avoid using copper for fuel line assuming it can be   
adequately supported (given its softness)?

I was mulling this over the other day when thinking of ways to make fuel   
delivery more efficient in my 109SW, which presently has a  rubber line.

I've plumbed in a fuel return line and I keep it closed off most of the   
time to avoid fuel starvation issues, and when starting a hot engine,   
I'll open this line in the event of a v-lock, in order to clear it.  But   
I'd like to avoid vapor lock altogether and have a theory that the less   
resitance the pump is meeting, the better.  Thus, the metal line, which I   
think was original (have to admit I've not checked), and which I think   
will be smoother inside and allow more efficient flow of fuel.

If it locks this summer, I may try an electric pump - as I've tried   
everything else!

Simon - wants to avoid vapor lock this summer at all costs short of an   
electric pump - Harding

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:12:25 -0600
From: "Tim Czajka" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Weird experience

TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
>Did you use the keyed lock tab washer that is supposed to keep the nut from 
>rotating??
>
That would have been too smart:)  Actually it only had a
normal washer but the nut was of the nylon locking variety.
As I learned apparently worn - locktite fixed that.  I plan
on removing the tcase soon and will add some sort of locking
washer - thanks.

Tim Czajka
1972 Series III 88
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 15:19:13 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: metal fuel line question- copper

>Is there a reason to avoid using copper for fuel line assuming it can be   
>adequately supported (given its softness)?

It does fatique really easily.  You could be in real deep do do on a wash 
baord road.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:15:29 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: metal fuel line question- copper

Simon,

Did you rebuild/replace the fuel pump at some point? 

Bryan

- -----Original Message-----
From: SJH [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 2:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: metal fuel line question- copper

Is there a reason to avoid using copper for fuel line assuming it can be   
adequately supported (given its softness)?

I was mulling this over the other day when thinking of ways to make fuel   
delivery more efficient in my 109SW, which presently has a  rubber line.

I've plumbed in a fuel return line and I keep it closed off most of the   
time to avoid fuel starvation issues, and when starting a hot engine,   
I'll open this line in the event of a v-lock, in order to clear it.  But   
I'd like to avoid vapor lock altogether and have a theory that the less   
resitance the pump is meeting, the better.  Thus, the metal line, which I   
think was original (have to admit I've not checked), and which I think   
will be smoother inside and allow more efficient flow of fuel.

If it locks this summer, I may try an electric pump - as I've tried   
everything else!

Simon - wants to avoid vapor lock this summer at all costs short of an   
electric pump - Harding

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:44:24 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Landies in PA for sale

- --part1_7d.13dff986.280ccfc8_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 4/16/01 2:09:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Looks about $500 worth at most, by the pictures
> 
> 

That blue one that hinges in the middle is worth a good $50 all by itself <g>.

Tony

 ANTHONY D. MILLER & Co.
        ~ The Tintype Artist ~
      Ambrotypes & Ferrotypes
           34 Perryfalls Place
    Baltimore, Maryland 21236
                 410-256-7442
       www.tintype-artist.com

- --part1_7d.13dff986.280ccfc8_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/16/01 2:09:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
<BR>[email-masked] writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Looks about $500 worth at most, by the pictures
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>That blue one that hinges in the middle is worth a good $50 all by itself &lt;g&gt;.
<BR>
<BR>Tony
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FACE="StageCoach" LANG="0"> </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Bliss" LANG="0">A</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Bliss" LANG="0">NTHONY D. MILLER &amp; Co.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;~ The Tintype Artist ~
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Ambrotypes &amp; Ferrotypes
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;34 Perryfalls Place
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Baltimore, Maryland 21236
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;410-256-7442
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;www.tintype-artist.com</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FACE="StageCoach" LANG="0">
<BR> </FONT></HTML>

- --part1_7d.13dff986.280ccfc8_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:13:30 -0500
From: Vel Natarajan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land rover bodied tedium

These disclaimers seem to becoming a popular thing used by lawyers or
legal departments in larger corporations.  I first saw this a year or
2 ago in mails sent by a friend of mine who is a lawyer.  I just
recently had to have some of my team members start using a similar
disclaimer in their emails to one of our vendors after I talked to our
legal team about sending proprietary info outside of the company.

It's just meant to cover your butt and probably doesn't cover a number
of situations.  If the legal department finds out that the mail is
being sent internationally, and/or through a list-server, then I have
a feeling that the disclaimer is going to get longer-and-longer to
cover every single possible situation.  (eg: a 1 sentence email
followed by a 1 megabyte disclaimer). Though that wouldn't surprise
me.  Such is life in the US.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:46:43AM +0100, Steve Mace wrote:
> So.... the fact that you (in this example) accidentally send an email to the 
> wrong address means that I'm several dollars out of pocket :-(
> 
> Does this sort of disclaimer actually have any legal bearing at all if it means 
> that the recipient must pay for your (in this example) mistakes? If someone 
> sends you a postal letter, which has your address on the front but it's actually 
> intended for someone else do you legally have to a) phone up the sender and 
> then b) burn the letter? I think not!
> 
> Also... does it have any cross-border legality e.g. US to UK? In fact, 
> presumably the LRO list server has already broken the law (if it is illegal of 
> course - debatable) by duplicating the message several hundred times and 
> then sending it on.
> 
> Just curious... Just asking questions.... Just going to put the kettle on.. :-)
> 
> On 10 Apr 2001, at 9:09, SJH wrote:
> 
> > No.
> 
> Steve
> 
> 1972 SIII LtWt Green
> 1993 D90 Red
> -------------------------------------
> Name: Dr Steve Mace
> E-mail: [email-masked]
> www: http://www.solwise.co.uk
> Tel: 0845 458 4558 (local rate)
> Fax: 0845 458 4559
> Intl. Fax. +44 1482 621877
> -------------------------------------
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:13:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RN, was little rubber bumper doo-hickys:

Found by RN, these are still a Land Rover part, thanks to a little above   
and beyond the call of duty digging by Arthur.  Part of the County   
interior which is apparently what my 109 was fitted out with.  A touch   
rare as SIII 109s were not imported (per RN staff, ok?).  Over the   
weekend I started removing the seat mount brackets (rusty. Were these   
galvanized originally?) and found myself thinking of powdercoating them,   
 the front seat frames and the "grab handle" behind the front row of   
seats.  The bolts I removed before giving up were all removed by   
breakage.  Mr. Angle Grinder will remove the rest of them.  Looking at my   
knuckles I ask myself why?  Because the bolts will only get rustier, and   
a guy has to get out of the house I guess.....  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:25:06 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Weird experience

Well, Jim made revision 2A of the nut tool, which fits much better, so
we can properly torque it when reinstalling the OD.

William J. Rice wrote:
> 
> Well, not 'zactly.  The first time I tightened it I used a breaker bar
> and Jim's special tool, but it kept slipping out of the nut when I really
> gorilla'd on it so I don't think I got it terribly tight.  Yesterday I
> just whacked it pretty darn hard w/ a pretty darn hammer and it's pretty
> darn tight.  But yesterday was also the last day that tranny will be
> driven since my frameover (which includes a tranny replacement) starts
> this week.

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:09:11 -0800
From: Russ Wilson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Landies in PA for sale

Those things have been sittin on that hillside rotting for years.  I
remember a local Pittsburgh guy tried to buy them from him 4 or 5 yrs ago
and the nut wanted something like $10k for the bunch.  It's a collection of
parts that you could probably hack together into a rover or two after you
bought a couple of frames and bulkheads.  The whole mess is probably worth
$1k total at the most.

>In a message dated 4/16/01 2:09:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[email-masked] writes:
>That blue one that hinges in the middle is worth a good $50 all by itself
><g>.
>
>Tony
>
> ANTHONY D. MILLER & Co.
>        ~ The Tintype Artist ~
>      Ambrotypes & Ferrotypes
>           34 Perryfalls Place
>    Baltimore, Maryland 21236
>                 410-256-7442
>       www.tintype-artist.com
>

Russ and Leslie Wilson

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession.  I have come
to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
- --Ronald Reagan  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:17:45 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: religious stuff was:  Kalifornia

No need for a flame war, people.   Don't you think it's funny how something like bad traffic can bring an ordinary person (regardless of religious affiliation) to the brink of physical violence?  Human nature...you can't make this stuff up.

>>> [email-masked] 04/16/01 01:22PM >>>
TAW wrote:  (I paraphrase):  Christianity has caused misery, death,   
etc...

Yikes.

Let's apply a little Halon to this brewing flame war before it bursts   
into flame shall we?

Simon (who happens to agree, but then, I'm a non practicing Presbyterian)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:24:40 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa

You mean more retarded, right?

>>> [email-masked] 04/16/01 03:04PM >>>

reducer is just fancy paint thinner that allows it to be sprayed (or 
brushed).  the different temp ranges allow some controlling of evaporation 
rate w/ respect to temp.  retarder retards the curing of the enamel itself.  
It simply allows more flow-out of the paint to help heal application 
blemishes... like possible brush marks?  However, I'm not sure if it's only 
for use w/ a hardener, so it may not be of benefit.

And yes it will make you retarded, among other things, if you breathe it...
- -todd

>Retarder?  Thought that was what the reducer did, among other things.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 17:48:19 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Weird experience

>TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
>>Did you use the keyed lock tab washer that is supposed to keep the nut from 
>>rotating??
>>
>That would have been too smart:)  Actually it only had a
>normal washer but the nut was of the nylon locking variety.
>As I learned apparently worn - locktite fixed that.  I plan
>on removing the tcase soon and will add some sort of locking
>washer - thanks.
>

Golly there is supposed to be a keyed flat washer followed by a foldie 
down keyed flat washer followed by a special nut with a bunch of notches. 
 You take the special tool (You can rent one from Rovers North or buy one 
from British Pacific) and torque the special nut down to 95 foot pounds 
pressure then crimp the foldie down keyed washer down into the nut's 
notches to keep this nut firmly in place.

At 95 foot pounds the output gear is not going to wobble and with the nut 
locked down the gear will not go off visiting.

Of course I do have one problem with the story that someone told about 
the output gear falling off onto the bottom of the transfer case.  There 
is  a rear plate with a bearing that supports the rear of the shaft.  All 
the output gear can do is wonder around on the shaft.  If it can fall 
down the gear is the least of your problems.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:15:44 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Trans output nut tool

If you need something quickly, especially if its a small item, try priority 
mail rather than UPS.  Its way cheaper than UPS 2nd day air yet usually 
takes the same time to get out here to the Islands.  Probably more expensive 
than UPS ground (not available to the Islands) but will get you quick 
delivery.  Make who ever is taking the order knows that you want priority 
mail.  Like repeat it about 10 times because if the order guy screws up and 
sends it normal mail, it can take months.

Aloha
Peter

>From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
>However the reply did go on to state that RN does rent a nut tightening
>tool that will allow you to use a torque wrench.
>
>"The cost of rental is $25.00 for the first two weeks
>  and $25.00 per week after that.  The deposit is $150.00."
>The Rover's North two week rental period just about takes all the surface
>UPS shipping time between the East and West coasts.  So if you are  on
>the West coast you would either need to pay additional UPS shipping
>charges or get the tool back to UPS the day after it arrives to avoid an 
>extra $25 rental fee.

>TeriAnn
>                       http://www.overlander.net
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #340
**********************************************