Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #339

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:07:24 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Monday, April 16 2001 Volume 01 : Number 339

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:43:44 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa

Ron- You may want to consider adding a retarder to slow dry time a bit.  
might make your painting session a little less harried since you'll be 
brushing the stuff.
- -todd

>From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:37:32 -0400
>
>Got it Saturday.  Pastel Green.  The guy at the counter said to mix in a 
>quart of reducer (mid temp) to make almost 3 quarts of paint.  I bought 2 
>quarts of paint and the one quart of reducer.  I need more Bill 'cuz I am 
>painting the interior and exterior surfaces a lighter color than original.  
>Anyway, it started raining Saturday night so I just wiped everything down 
>and closed up the shop until I can get home from work today to start 
>painting.  I tested a small area on the breakfast where the original color 
>is and it's a spot on match.
>
>I'll post a pix when I get done.
>
> >>> [email-masked] 04/14/01 11:40AM >>>
>I used a little thinner--I think I got mid-temp, but you should get
>hi-temp thinner (which they only sell by the gallon at said CarQuest--I
>asked).  Hi-temp will thin the paint for the longest time and make it
>easier to brush w/o having problems with it getting tacky as you go back
>for stroke #2.  The stuff dries QUICKLY.
>
>Bill
>
>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:19:08 -0400 "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>writes:
> > Did you have to thin that stuff out?  Or just paint it on as is?
> > Thanks, bro
> >
> > >>> [email-masked] 04/11/01 11:45PM >>>
> > Ron,
> > Just get your butt over to CarQuest on Veterans Parkway with the
> > paint
> > code (I think TeriAnn or OVLR has 'em on the web).  The guys there
> > are v.
> > nice--they mixed up a couple batches of Marine Blue DuPont enamel
> > for
> > me--it ain't very expensive (especially if you put it on with
> > disposable
> > foam brushes), something like $30 for a quart, which was more than
> > enough
> > for my 109.
> >
> > bill
> >
> >
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:55:53 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)

In a message dated 4/6/01 12:12:47 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<   Global warming is not a proven fact but it is an undisputable fact that
> the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramaticly risen since the start
> of the industrial revolution and the trend is accelerating.

Um, fair point, however it doesn't mean or prove anything. Your sample
is tiny (given the history of the Earth), and only spans the era when
testing has been possible, so we have no way of knowing whether ozone
depletion and warming isn't cyclical, or whether it isn't perhaps
declining in the long term (one or two millennia).

>     The problem with waiting to see what the net result is going to be is
> that by the time we know for sure, it may be too late to do much.

Environmental eschatology is a growth industry. Since the dawn of human
habitation on this planet it's been popular to postulate that we have
reached an apocalyptic 'end time', we create myths and fables about our
own demise. We even have Chicken Little coining the phrase "The sky's
falling!" to fret over our fear of a fiery and sticky comeuppance.

Thirty years ago it was nuclear holocaust, today it's CO2 and global
warming, what next? 

Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

Paul
    I realize that this thread is probably long since dead but I have been 
out of town for the last couple of weeks at the the T/O and the EJS and 
wanted to comment on your response. I realize that the composition of the 
earths atmosphere has changed over time and dramaticly at that. Lets face it, 
the earth was formed from a batch of intergalactic dust and the atmosphere 
has gone thru some pretty dramatic changes along with it but these changes 
have occured in what is frequently referred to as geologic time i.e. tens of 
thousands of years up to hundreds of millions of years at a time. The 
difference that is happening now is we are talking about a couple of hundred 
years. I just think pretending that this isn't going to effect anything is 
shortsighted at best.
    I realize that the "Chicken Little" thinking runs rampant but it is 
usually associated with religious nut cases but also extends into other areas 
such as conservation issues. I don't personally subscribe to it, I actually 
believe as a species we will somehow muddle thru but I am pretty sure that in 
100 years from now we will look back at this time in history and consider it 
the dark ages for environmental issues - we know what we are doing to our 
environment but didn't have the will to change our behavior.
    On a completely different note, do you have the contact info for the 
Safari Centre in South Africa? 
    Nice web site BTW.

Bill
Great Basin Rovers

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:53:07 -0700
From: "Lonn & Rhonda" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Steering "clunk"

>Was driving the SIIA SWB today and noticed it has developed some sort
of
> clunking sound in the steering. It seems to only occur when
cornering at
> speed....

If your shackle bolts aren't tight, it will exhibit the symptom you
describe.

Lonn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:05:46 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa

Retarder?  Thought that was what the reducer did, among other things.

>>> [email-masked] 04/16/01 10:43AM >>>

Ron- You may want to consider adding a retarder to slow dry time a bit.  
might make your painting session a little less harried since you'll be 
brushing the stuff.
- -todd

>From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked] 
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:37:32 -0400
>
>Got it Saturday.  Pastel Green.  The guy at the counter said to mix in a 
>quart of reducer (mid temp) to make almost 3 quarts of paint.  I bought 2 
>quarts of paint and the one quart of reducer.  I need more Bill 'cuz I am 
>painting the interior and exterior surfaces a lighter color than original.  
>Anyway, it started raining Saturday night so I just wiped everything down 
>and closed up the shop until I can get home from work today to start 
>painting.  I tested a small area on the breakfast where the original color 
>is and it's a spot on match.
>
>I'll post a pix when I get done.
>
> >>> [email-masked] 04/14/01 11:40AM >>>
>I used a little thinner--I think I got mid-temp, but you should get
>hi-temp thinner (which they only sell by the gallon at said CarQuest--I
>asked).  Hi-temp will thin the paint for the longest time and make it
>easier to brush w/o having problems with it getting tacky as you go back
>for stroke #2.  The stuff dries QUICKLY.
>
>Bill
>
>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:19:08 -0400 "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>writes:
> > Did you have to thin that stuff out?  Or just paint it on as is?
> > Thanks, bro
> >
> > >>> [email-masked] 04/11/01 11:45PM >>>
> > Ron,
> > Just get your butt over to CarQuest on Veterans Parkway with the
> > paint
> > code (I think TeriAnn or OVLR has 'em on the web).  The guys there
> > are v.
> > nice--they mixed up a couple batches of Marine Blue DuPont enamel
> > for
> > me--it ain't very expensive (especially if you put it on with
> > disposable
> > foam brushes), something like $30 for a quart, which was more than
> > enough
> > for my 109.
> >
> > bill
> >
> >
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:11:01 -0400
From: Matt Peckham <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Painting a IIa

If you inhale it long enough, yes.

- -----Original Message-----
From: RON WARD [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa

Retarder?  Thought that was what the reducer did, among other things.

>>> [email-masked] 04/16/01 10:43AM >>>

Ron- You may want to consider adding a retarder to slow dry time a bit.  
might make your painting session a little less harried since you'll be 
brushing the stuff.
- -todd

>From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked] 
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: Painting a IIa
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:37:32 -0400
>
>Got it Saturday.  Pastel Green.  The guy at the counter said to mix in a 
>quart of reducer (mid temp) to make almost 3 quarts of paint.  I bought 2 
>quarts of paint and the one quart of reducer.  I need more Bill 'cuz I am 
>painting the interior and exterior surfaces a lighter color than original.

>Anyway, it started raining Saturday night so I just wiped everything down 
>and closed up the shop until I can get home from work today to start 
>painting.  I tested a small area on the breakfast where the original color 
>is and it's a spot on match.
>
>I'll post a pix when I get done.
>
> >>> [email-masked] 04/14/01 11:40AM >>>
>I used a little thinner--I think I got mid-temp, but you should get
>hi-temp thinner (which they only sell by the gallon at said CarQuest--I
>asked).  Hi-temp will thin the paint for the longest time and make it
>easier to brush w/o having problems with it getting tacky as you go back
>for stroke #2.  The stuff dries QUICKLY.
>
>Bill
>
>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:19:08 -0400 "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
>writes:
> > Did you have to thin that stuff out?  Or just paint it on as is?
> > Thanks, bro
> >
> > >>> [email-masked] 04/11/01 11:45PM >>>
> > Ron,
> > Just get your butt over to CarQuest on Veterans Parkway with the
> > paint
> > code (I think TeriAnn or OVLR has 'em on the web).  The guys there
> > are v.
> > nice--they mixed up a couple batches of Marine Blue DuPont enamel
> > for
> > me--it ain't very expensive (especially if you put it on with
> > disposable
> > foam brushes), something like $30 for a quart, which was more than
> > enough
> > for my 109.
> >
> > bill
> >
> >
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:14:20 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: fuel line fittings 

Does anyone on the list know the size and thread type of the series fuel 
line fittings?
My dad had a fitch fuel catalyst fitted to his van several months ago after 
barely squeaking past emmissions. Anyhow, He had it tested afterwards and 
his emmissions had dropped significantly.  He also gets 3 mpg more.  I was 
rather impressed, and I think cleaner combustion can do nothing but help my 
2.25, so I'll try one out.
Regards,
- -todd
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:09:08 -0400
From: "David G. Russell" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Scotland--off topic

Sorry of the off-topic post. Please reply directly.

My family is taking a trip to Scotland in August. We'll be staying near
Perth and I have some logistical questions.

Thanks in Advance.

David

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:19:48 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: grim news...

In a message dated 4/13/01 11:33:08 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<< Anybody out there want to investigate making an O/D that they could retail 
in the neighborhood of a $1,000.  Bill at Great Basin, where are you in our 
hour of need???  I'll take two if you can do it!!

Peter
    I'm producing 3.9 diff gears and plan to offer complete remanufactured 
differentials with the new ratio for $450. $900 for two new diffs compared to 
$2,000 seems like a good deal to me. 
    I also have a line on a overdrive that comes out of Australia for the 
Land Cruiser. I am going to inquire with the company about adapting it to the 
Rover. Shouldn't be to hard considering they are basicly the same design.
    Best I can do for the time being.

Bill
Great Basin Rovers

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 09:34:56 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

>> Actually though, in my part of California a lot of people are using their
>> turn signals.
>
>I don 't think they are pulling anyones leg.  That is exactly what happens.
>If you put on the signal so you can move over to the exit, people in that
>lane speed up so you can't get over.  SWMBO is from LA County and told me
>before we went there on vacation, warned me about the drivers.  In the past
>couple years I have spent a number of times in LA and San Diego and it is
>just as has been described here. 

Well, what you are seeing are the results of overpopulation and people so 
used to competing for fewer resources that courtesy is no longer a 
factor.  Unless people slow our breeding rates down LA is a preview of 
what the rest of the world will look like before too long.

But in my WAY less crowded part of California if you hit your turn signal 
and the person in the other lane sees it he/she will almost certainly 
back off to let you over.

There is a lot of California North of the Tahapichi mountains.  And once 
you get North of there and away from the SF Bay area, it can be a pretty 
nice place.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 09:34:49 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Weird experience

>You're a genius.  Before hitting the trails today I took the inspection
>cover off the t-case and that darn nut wasn't even finger tight.  I took
>a chisel to it and in 5 min. I was ready to roll--I love this list! 
>Still dunno what's wrong w/ my winch but I reckon it probably won't be
>needed during the frameover anyway.

And the chisel allowed you to torque the nut to the 95 foot pounds 
specified in the workshop manual?  Did you tighten it with a chisel the 
first time?

By the way I thought it was a dynamite arm chair diagnosis.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:34:19 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: 300TDI (ridiculous) prices?

> Anyone who'd fork over 8-10 large for a series engine has to have more
> money than brains. For that kind of dough, you can get about 450
> American EFI ponies and you won't have to convert to full-time 4wd.
> --

After seeing the guy from NY asking 12500 for the engine, I figured I would
do some searching.  A 300tdi seems to go for around 2000lbs UK.  Around
2900$ US at current rates.  Add in shipping and it still seems like an
awfull lot of money for an engine.  Adapter to go to the Series transmission
or do you need to fork out for a new transmission and transfer case?
Article in a recent LROI on doing the conversion in a 90 makes it seem easy
but no idea on the problems for doing the conversion in a Series. and sounds
like they don't like the 300tdi with the auto tranny.  ECR is pretty  good
about not quoting any prices for the conversion, just 'we charge x dollars
an hour and have the experiance to get it done quickly'.  Guess this is one
of those, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
If not doing the fulltime fwd route, I think it would warrent uprated rear
axle shafts, or a salisbury swap.
Still sounds like a great engine.  Wouldn't mind it in the 110 but still
believe the 6.2 will be an easier conversion and cheeper.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:40:36 -0700
From: Wise Owl <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #332

At 05:31 PM 12/04/01, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:55:43 EDT
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps
>
>
>Has anyone fitted a Coffman starter to a Land Rover engine?
>
>Paul Donohue
>1965 Land Rover 109
>Denver

Works great on those cold mornings when the battery is low. Gets the 
neighbors up too!! Kaboom! Sputter, Sputter, Cough.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:50:38 -0700
From: Wise Owl <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #332

At 05:31 PM 12/04/01, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Tom Rowe" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: 300TDI...price?
>
>Greetings. Any of the folks in  the UK know about what a new 300tdi sells 
>for? I mean just
>an engine.
>Thanks
>
>
>Tom Rowe
>Atlanta, GA
>
>Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
>         in places even more inaccessible

£2999 (~$4500US) for complete kit with all ancillaries. From Motor and 
Diesel. They have had the same ad in LR mags for a couple of years now,

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 01 10:01:55 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

>As a Christian myself, I was proud of her continued efforts to display her 
>Christian beliefs in such a public display...wonder if the Easter bunny 
>visited her house?

Maybe she was a traditional Christian.  Millions of people have been 
butchered and brutally tortured by devout Christians in the name of 
Christ.  Much of the time these deaths were handed out by the church 
itself.  So maybe she was preaching a more traditional form of her 
religion to those ungodly people who would not let her cross?

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:08:02 -0400
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Valves

"Jim Hall" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I imagine it is also responsible for #3 & #4 header pipes glowing a dull
>orange in the dark? Sloppy valves=exhaust leaking past valve?

Right...fuel/air mix is being partially expelled during the compression
stroke and is actually combusting in the header rather than within the
confines of the cylinder.

The machinist I took the head to for resurfacing said I had less than a
dozen miles before *catastrophic* failure as a result of the wedge-shaped
crack in #4 exhaust.  Timing is everything.... ;-)

Cheers

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:08:03 -0400
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: S'truth....

SJH <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The other solution lies in the junker look, or   
>what I refer to as the railroad tie bumper effect:  If you drive a junker   
>or have railroad ties bolted on for bumpers, just merge.  They'll get out   
>of your way. 

Absolute truth.  Good friend from college days (30 years ago) had a
three-door (one was welded shut) '55 Chevy - a real lead barge - that his
brother paid all of $250 for years before.  My friend added a 4 X 12" plank
to the front bumper, as he was too, ummm, *thrifty* to even think about
junk yard prices for a used bumper.  Furthermore, it was painted with
whatever spray cans were left around the physics dept. at school -
variations on black, mostly.  We *never* had a problem merging.  "Just
chose the most expensive vehicle and pull out..." was his strategy.  Worked
like a champ....

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:16:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel line fittings 

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Todd Ondick wrote:

:Does anyone on the list know the size and thread type of the series fuel 
:line fittings?
:My dad had a fitch fuel catalyst fitted to his van several months ago after 
:barely squeaking past emmissions. Anyhow, He had it tested afterwards and 

Why don't you wrap a bunch of twenties around the fuel line?  It will have
exactly the same effect on the performance of the vehicle, and when you
realize how idiotic the thing is, you can take them off and buy gasoline.  
Until you see a study done by qualified scientists, not in the employ of
who ever makes the thing, that says it actually performs as claimed, it's a
fraud.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:23:02 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: front cover oil seal -- here's some direction...

Chris, 
A common SPOT (...that's :"SMART" Previous Owner Trick) is to remove the
seal retainer and re-install it on the front side of the cover.  I used
appropriate size screws/nuts/loctite.  This has two distinct advantages:
1.  You can now change the front seal by just removing the crank pulley...no
need to remove the front cover!
2.  The seal will ride on a fresh, un-worn section of the crank, making a
better seal.

JT/ric

- -----Original Message-----
From: Chris Oles [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 9:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: front cover oil seal -- I need some direction

Today I was changing the timing chain and the other bits and decided to 
replace the oil seal in the front cover while I was in there.  Glad I did to

because when I was trying to remove the old one, it crumbled to pieces!  It 
was baked onto the cover and after much scraping got it all cleaned up.  
Then while trying to drift the new seal into place with a block of wood and 
a mallot, the front cover seal retaining piece popped off of its rivets and 
the whole assembly came out.  Then I found that I was attempting to drift 
the seal into another bronze-type bushing (left over part from old seal?) 
and now I'm not sure what I should do.  Couple of Q's at this point:

1)  Can I drill out the rivet bodies and use small, long screws and bolts 
with loctite to keep it all together or should I go back with rivets 
(assuming that I can find some that are long enough), or maybe a new front 
cover is in order (God, I hope not).

2)  Oil seal:  The bronze bushing that was left in there; is it possibly 
part of the old seal (an original style seal maybe...)?  If so, then I have 
to assume that the new replacement seal will fit snug in the hole in the 
cover against that plate that fell off.  Right?  The manual isn't 
super-explicit in this area.

Thanks and oh, BTW, this is on a 2.25 for a 70 SIIa 88.

Chris
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:22:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: religious stuff was:  Kalifornia

TAW wrote:  (I paraphrase):  Christianity has caused misery, death,   
etc...

Yikes.

Let's apply a little Halon to this brewing flame war before it bursts   
into flame shall we?

Simon (who happens to agree, but then, I'm a non practicing Presbyterian)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:30:54 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Landies in PA for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579441403

Just saw this, 4 series land rovers for sale in PA.  Bid is 5k.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:41:18 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: fuel line fittings 

Man.....you just trashed his dad.  I hope he doesn't have a big brother.

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

- -----Original Message-----
From: David Scheidt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 10:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel line fittings 

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Todd Ondick wrote:

:Does anyone on the list know the size and thread type of the series fuel 
:line fittings?
:My dad had a fitch fuel catalyst fitted to his van several months ago after

:barely squeaking past emmissions. Anyhow, He had it tested afterwards and 

Why don't you wrap a bunch of twenties around the fuel line?  It will have
exactly the same effect on the performance of the vehicle, and when you
realize how idiotic the thing is, you can take them off and buy gasoline.  
Until you see a study done by qualified scientists, not in the employ of
who ever makes the thing, that says it actually performs as claimed, it's a
fraud.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:46:13 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: No problems, no troubles, no worries

Sounds like a great time Pete. Wish I was there, as I'm sure everybody else 
does too. It's so refreshing to read a post filled with so much enthusiasm. 
Reminds us all why we're here. Can't wait to see the pics.

Happy trails.

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:58:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: People's Republic....

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> Maybe she was a traditional Christian.  

Traditional in what sense?  That would be pre Council of Nicea?

> Millions of people have been butchered and brutally tortured by devout
> Christians in the name of Christ.

Oh, the Christians have no monopoly when it comes to these kinds of
things, and many times, religion just serves as a convienent excute to
carry our measure aimed at ensuring control, influence, your general power
issues...  Be interesting to hear a total number for Christianity (an
impossibility actually). Ghengis Kahn was quite efficient at disposing of
people, and even Stalin made Hitler look a bit amateurish.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:56:53 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)

I don't know the exact figures but there has not been a drastic increase in 
CO2.  There has been an increase, however.  We're talking an increase of 
.0002%, or something like that, percentage increase in C02 in the 
atmosphere.  Is it enough to cause a problem??  Is it caused by civilization 
or is there some other cause??

There should be an easy way to determine the effect of industrial caused 
pollution.  The world, from 1939 to 1945 was at maximum production with 
virtually no pollution controls and every incentive to produce energy in the 
cheapest manner possible and with absolutely no concern for side effects.  
There was also the effect of breaking things that associates itself with 
warfare. The increase in pollution should have been dramatic as the world 
wide depression of the '30s had lowered industrial output to the lowest 
point in 20 years.  There should also have been a measurable change of some 
sort in weather patterns, if our efforts effect the weather.  I'm not aware 
of a study that has specifically targeted the period from 1940-50.  It would 
seem that if we were looking for some definitive indication of the effect of 
man made pollution, analysis of the WWII period could provide a lot of 
answers.  Anyone know of a scientific study of this period and, if not, why 
there hasn't been a massive study??

Aloha
Peter O

>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Wasted youth (was parts availability, etc.)
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:55:53 EDT
>
>
>In a message dated 4/6/01 12:12:47 AM, [email-masked] writes:
>
><<   Global warming is not a proven fact but it is an undisputable fact 
>that
> > the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramaticly risen since the 
>start
> > of the industrial revolution and the trend is accelerating.
>
>Um, fair point, however it doesn't mean or prove anything. Your sample
>is tiny (given the history of the Earth), and only spans the era when
>testing has been possible, so we have no way of knowing whether ozone
>depletion and warming isn't cyclical, or whether it isn't perhaps
>declining in the long term (one or two millennia).
>
> >     The problem with waiting to see what the net result is going to be 
>is
> > that by the time we know for sure, it may be too late to do much.
>
>Environmental eschatology is a growth industry. Since the dawn of human
>habitation on this planet it's been popular to postulate that we have
>reached an apocalyptic 'end time', we create myths and fables about our
>own demise. We even have Chicken Little coining the phrase "The sky's
>falling!" to fret over our fear of a fiery and sticky comeuppance.
>
>Thirty years ago it was nuclear holocaust, today it's CO2 and global
>warming, what next?
>
>Regards
>
>Paul Oxley
>AfricanAdrenalin.com
>  >>
>
>Paul
>     I realize that this thread is probably long since dead but I have been
>out of town for the last couple of weeks at the the T/O and the EJS and
>wanted to comment on your response. I realize that the composition of the
>earths atmosphere has changed over time and dramaticly at that. Lets face 
>it,
>the earth was formed from a batch of intergalactic dust and the atmosphere
>has gone thru some pretty dramatic changes along with it but these changes
>have occured in what is frequently referred to as geologic time i.e. tens 
>of
>thousands of years up to hundreds of millions of years at a time. The
>difference that is happening now is we are talking about a couple of 
>hundred
>years. I just think pretending that this isn't going to effect anything is
>shortsighted at best.
>     I realize that the "Chicken Little" thinking runs rampant but it is
>usually associated with religious nut cases but also extends into other 
>areas
>such as conservation issues. I don't personally subscribe to it, I actually
>believe as a species we will somehow muddle thru but I am pretty sure that 
>in
>100 years from now we will look back at this time in history and consider 
>it
>the dark ages for environmental issues - we know what we are doing to our
>environment but didn't have the will to change our behavior.
>     On a completely different note, do you have the contact info for the
>Safari Centre in South Africa?
>     Nice web site BTW.
>
>Bill
>Great Basin Rovers

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:56:58 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: religious stuff was:  Kalifornia

Hell, if it was easy being a Christian, why bother.  What, with a world full
of people to torment I barely have time to work on the Rovers.

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

- -----Original Message-----
From: SJH [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 10:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: religious stuff was: Kalifornia

TAW wrote:  (I paraphrase):  Christianity has caused misery, death,   
etc...

Yikes.

Let's apply a little Halon to this brewing flame war before it bursts   
into flame shall we?

Simon (who happens to agree, but then, I'm a non practicing Presbyterian)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:59:18 -0700
From: "Hoult, Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Landies in PA for sale

I have better crap than that in my back yard, why go to PA?

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"
and various pieces that I might have the gall to list on Ebay for $5,000 -
if I wasn't a Christian.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Hope Peter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2001 10:31 PM
To: Lro
Subject: LRO: Landies in PA for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579441403

Just saw this, 4 series land rovers for sale in PA.  Bid is 5k.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:54:46 -0700
From: Wise Owl <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #333

At 08:12 AM 13/04/01, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:27:42 -0600
>From: Rick Grant <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: RE: DC 3's
>
> >
> >the air.  The program was cancelled after two C-47s had been fitted
> >with the floats,
>
>I tried posting on this last night but I suspect that there is some form of
>filter in the mailing list that knocks out messages with too many URL's.
>
>Anyhow, if you go to google.com and put the search term "DC-3" and "floats"
>in you will find a bunch of pages with pictures of the DC-3 float
>conversion.  Plus a page that lists all variants of the DC-3 which
>indicates that only one C-47 was converted during the war.  That  not only
>flies in the face of Marin's research but also a vague memory I have of
>once seeing a photograph of two float equipped C-47's sitting side by side.
>
>
>
>                                 Rick Grant

These flew in the Yukon. There is a picture of one in the Whitehorse museum.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:03:56 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: fuel line fittings 

There was an article in New Scientist a couple of years back about fuel
catalysts, magnetic polarisers etc. The conclusion was that wrapping a dead
chicken around the fuel line may have as significant an effect (And you can
eat the chicken when it's done)

	David "two legs" wrote

> Why don't you wrap a bunch of twenties around the fuel line?  It will have
> exactly the same effect on the performance of the vehicle, and when you
> realize how idiotic the thing is, you can take them off and buy gasoline.
> 
> Until you see a study done by qualified scientists, not in the employ of
> who ever makes the thing, that says it actually performs as claimed, it's
> a
> fraud.
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:04:03 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: People's Republic....

Maybe that's the reason no one ever gives me a problem in my multi tone 109 
with military bumperettes that sit at most sedan drivers eye height.  People 
just seem to give me space and I don't even have to brandish any lethal 
weapons like a turn signal.  Got even more respect in my twice rolled, naked 
88 riding on parabolics and 235/85/16s.

Aloha
Peter

>From: SJH <[email-masked]>
The other solution lies in the junker look, or what I refer to as the 
railroad tie bumper effect:  If you drive a junker or have railroad ties 
bolted on for bumpers, just merge.  They'll get out
>of your way.  The problem for me lies in the fact that my daily driver is
>a 1990 Volvo 740 GL, which would look a bit odd with railroad tie
>bumpers, and accelerates likea tortoise.
>
>Simon
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message and any attachments to it are
>intended for use only by the addressee(s), and may contain privileged or
>confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
>not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any
>attachments to it, or to take any action based on them.  If you have
>received this message in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
>at (503) 223-4131, and permanently delete the original and any copy of
>this message.
>
>Simon J. Harding
>Attorney at Law
>Schulte Anderson Downes Aronson & Bittner, P.C.
>503.223.4131
>[email-masked]
>
>
>  -----Original Message-----
>From:	Hope Peter [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Saturday, April 14, 2001 7:10 PM
>To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; SJH;
>[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: LRO: People's Republic....
>
>
>
>
> > >Am I getting this correctly?
> > > Are you lot saying that if you indicate that you want to do something
>on
> > >the road, pull over, turn right or left, move into another lane,
>someone
> > >will stop you doing it?
> >
> > They are pulling your leg Frank.
> >
> > Actually though, in my part of California a lot of people are using
>their
> > turn signals.
>
>I don 't think they are pulling anyones leg.  That is exactly what
>happens.
>If you put on the signal so you can move over to the exit, people in that
>lane speed up so you can't get over.  SWMBO is from LA County and told me
>before we went there on vacation, warned me about the drivers.  In the
>past
>couple years I have spent a number of times in LA and San Diego and it is
>just as has been described here.  After the first trip I have learned
>that I
>need to rent a big fast vehicle just to survive.  The 5 between LA and SD
>and the Santa Monica Frwy have been the worse.  I saw similar agression
>in
>San Fransisco, San Jose and Pleasanton.  Not so bad in Sacremento or
>Santa
>Barbara, and I have always found the drive from Malibu to Ventura to be
>fun.
>Pete
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:06:57 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Landies in PA for sale

Looks about $500 worth at most, by the pictures

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Hope Peter [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, April 16, 2001 1:31 AM
> To:	Lro
> Subject:	LRO: Landies in PA for sale
> 
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=57944140
> 3
> 
> Just saw this, 4 series land rovers for sale in PA.  Bid is 5k.
> Pete

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #339
**********************************************