Re: LRO: Re: Weird experience

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 20:48:19 EDT

    >TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
    >>Did you use the keyed lock tab washer that is supposed to keep the nut from
    >>rotating??
    >>
    >That would have been too smart:) Actually it only had a
    >normal washer but the nut was of the nylon locking variety.
    >As I learned apparently worn - locktite fixed that. I plan
    >on removing the tcase soon and will add some sort of locking
    >washer - thanks.

    Golly there is supposed to be a keyed flat washer followed by a foldie
    down keyed flat washer followed by a special nut with a bunch of notches.
     You take the special tool (You can rent one from Rovers North or buy one
    from British Pacific) and torque the special nut down to 95 foot pounds
    pressure then crimp the foldie down keyed washer down into the nut's
    notches to keep this nut firmly in place.

    At 95 foot pounds the output gear is not going to wobble and with the nut
    locked down the gear will not go off visiting.

    Of course I do have one problem with the story that someone told about
    the output gear falling off onto the bottom of the transfer case. There
    is a rear plate with a bearing that supports the rear of the shaft. All
    the output gear can do is wonder around on the shaft. If it can fall
    down the gear is the least of your problems.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html