Re: LRO: Land rover bodied tedium

From: Vel Natarajan (vel@enteract.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 12:13:30 EDT

    These disclaimers seem to becoming a popular thing used by lawyers or
    legal departments in larger corporations. I first saw this a year or
    2 ago in mails sent by a friend of mine who is a lawyer. I just
    recently had to have some of my team members start using a similar
    disclaimer in their emails to one of our vendors after I talked to our
    legal team about sending proprietary info outside of the company.

    It's just meant to cover your butt and probably doesn't cover a number
    of situations. If the legal department finds out that the mail is
    being sent internationally, and/or through a list-server, then I have
    a feeling that the disclaimer is going to get longer-and-longer to
    cover every single possible situation. (eg: a 1 sentence email
    followed by a 1 megabyte disclaimer). Though that wouldn't surprise
    me. Such is life in the US.