LRO: Trans output nut tool

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 17:48:11 EDT

    With the recent list threads of loose transmission output gears caused by
    a loose nut and the chisel and hammer method of torquing the nut down, I
    thought I would pass on the results of some recent product research I did.

    The Factory workshop manual specifies that the nut is to be torqued down
    to 95 foot pounds.

    I just purchased a special tool for torquing down that nut. I looked at
    the offerings of both Rovers North and British Pacific before making my
    purchase decision.

    Both offerings are aftermarket tools as the genuine Churchill tools have
    been NLA for a long time.

    The British Pacific tool costs $59. It is machined out of a single piece
    of steel. It has a hex cap machined at the rear that takes a 7/8ths
    socket. It is spaced so that a torque wrench with a 7/8ths socket will
    fit nicely out the rear of the transfer case. The tool has four legs to
    fit between four of the slots in the nut.

    The Rover's North tool (RNT0002) costs $35 plus $5.00 for the short
    removable bar handle. It is cylindrical with small legs for each of the
    nut's indentations. It has a hole that runs transversely through the
    tool near the rear end. The bar handle is fairly short (about a foot?).
    There is no way to attach a torque wrench to the Rover's North tool. You
    are supposed to insert the bar into the transverse hole near the end of
    the tool and exert enough pressure to tighten the nut.

    The Land Rover workshop manual states that the nut is supposed to be
    torqued down to 95 foot pounds of torque. Looking at the short bar
    handle I wasn't sure how that could be accomplished so I sent RN an
    e-mail and asked.

    The reply stated:

    "The tool we supply (RNT0002) is designed for the
    D.I.Y. mechanic, many of which do not possess torque wrenches."

    Which of course did not answer my question of how one uses the tool to
    achieve 95 foot pounds of torque.

    However the reply did go on to state that RN does rent a nut tightening
    tool that will allow you to use a torque wrench.

    "The cost of rental is $25.00 for the first two weeks
     and $25.00 per week after that. The deposit is $150.00."

    Plus the renter pays shipping both ways.

    Since I did not want to risk a loose output gear, I purchased my tool
    from British Pacific. If I was not in a hurry I would have considered
    renting the proper tool from RN (The nut was properly torqued within 5
    minutes of opening the package). There is no way I would consider paying
    for a tool that could not allow me achieve the Factory specified torque
    on the nut.

    The Rover's North two week rental period just about takes all the surface
    UPS shipping time between the East and West coasts. So if you are on
    the West coast you would either need to pay additional UPS shipping
    charges or get the tool back to UPS the day after it arrives to avoid an
    extra $25 rental fee.

    Bottom line is 95 foot pounds plus a new lock tab washer prevents a large
    number of gearbox/transfer case symptoms (loud whine, popping out of
    gears, etc.). And it takes a special tool to achieve the factory
    specified torque. Rover's North rents a tool that will do the job,
    British Pacific sells a tool that will do the job. So there is no excuse
    for not doing it correctly.

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.