Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #332

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:31:51 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Thursday, April 12 2001 Volume 01 : Number 332

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:24:24 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

<html><head></head><body>I was referring to the Rangie, which is why I apologized
and said I should have asked what type of truck.&nbsp; Also why I mentioned that
I need to be careful posting to the series list.<br>
<br>
I DID get my LMA at Pep Boys and that is what is in my truck right now.<br>
<br>
- -P<br>
<br>
Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]"><pre wrap="">And I believe that the "castrol only" is a myth.&nbsp; I am perfectly<br>comfortable using other brake fluid.&nbsp; I intend to change over to ATE blue<br>with my next fluid change.<br><br>-P<br><br>Perrone, are you referring specifically to your Range Rover or is there<br>another truck you're working with here? Rangies may well have later type<br>seals - Series vehicles most definitely do NOT in the vast majority of<br>cases.<br><br>It's not worth the risk at the price. Uless you're doing silicone fluids<br>(another kettle of fish i don't plan to stew) GT/LMA is the way to go.<br><br>BTW, Pep Boys sells LMA in 1 liter bottles for about 5 bucks...<br><br>                    ajr</pre>
  </blockquote>
  <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:39:05 -0700
From: "Dick Love" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Fw: "Best of British" ride SoCal (USA) area 4/29/01

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Love" <[email-masked]>

> Sunday 4/29/01 the SoCal section of the Vincent Owner's Club and the
Morgan
> +4 Club are co-sponsoring a 2/3/4 wheel ride/drive of the Malibu Hills and
> the Pacific Coast Highway with a stop at the Rock Store and ending with a
> lunch at a pub in the West San Fernando Valley. It's open to British bikes
> and autos of all makes. Meet at Deidrich's coffee shop in Malibu at
10:30am.
> Ride departs at 11:00. Contact me for details. I'll send you a flyer if
you
> want. Tell a friend.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:31:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Marin the Swedish Chef:  I'm going to te

Oh Yeah?!... Yeah!....Oh Yeah?!....Yeah!...Oh Yeah?! ....Yeah!...  Are   
too!  Am not!  Are too! Am  not! Are too!  Am not!  I'm gonna tell, I'm   
gonna tell!  Vell, isn't this a fine kettle uv lutefisk?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:43:46 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

Sorry - our responses crossed in the mail - I replied long before your
reply got to my address...

               aj"SImultaneity is a myth"r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:55:43 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

- --part1_13.1422c5a2.2807461f_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Has anyone fitted a Coffman starter to a Land Rover engine?

Paul Donohue
1965 Land Rover 109
Denver

- --part1_13.1422c5a2.2807461f_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>
<BR>Has anyone fitted a Coffman starter to a Land Rover engine?
<BR>
<BR>Paul Donohue
<BR>1965 Land Rover 109
<BR>Denver</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_13.1422c5a2.2807461f_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:56:49 
From: "Chris Oles" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: castoral brake fluid

I just picked up some at a Pep Boys last Saturday.  Any of those where 
you're at?

Chris

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:01:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
Subject: ...

i am having problem finding castoral lm5
brake fluid locally.  is this
still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
that an urban myth.  or is it that nobody knows
and nobody wants to take a chance...

Sincerely,

Ray Harder

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:12:31 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Has anyone fitted a Coffman starter to a Land Rover engine?

Paul Donohue

Yes, but only when stuck in the desert and trying to revive the crashed
bits of a C-87.....

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:41:05 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shipfitters...

I'll go along with that Lee, just don't hit me too hard with the hammer !
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Lee Jones <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 12:27 AM
Subject: RE: LRO: Shipfitters...

> Hi Frank!
>
> I kinda look at my stent as a bailing wire fix and therefore is (in the
Land
> Rover sense) still a factory item - I believe that bailing wire, chewing
> gum, hitting with a 4 pound sledge, and duct tape are all considered
proper
> fixes for a Land Rover and therefore for me as well!
>
> Lee
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Frank Elson
> Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 5:43 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: LRO: Shipfitters...
>
>
> well now, there's me and Trevor Easton, and probably others, who have bits
> of metal inside there that our mummies and daddies never made for us...
>
> mind you, there are folk who don't think I'm human, how about you Trev ?
>
> Best Cheers
>
> Frank
>     +--+--+--+
>      I !__|  [_]|_\___
>      I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
>      "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 5:40 PM
> Subject: Re: LRO: Shipfitters...
>
>
> >
> > her
> > question was, if a person gets a mechanical heart, are they still human?
> > How about a replacement heart from another person?  How about a baboon
> > heart?  What makes a person a person?
> >
> >
> > The question above all of that, Clinton, Is whether or not they were to
> > begin with.....
> >
> > Parts is parts...
> >
> >           ajr
> >
> >
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:52:32 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Changing RR coolant

its always worth reverse flushing the whole system while changing the
coolant.
 Get as much as you can out - in whatever way suits you best, then use the
hose pipe on the radiator (put it in the bottom hole).
 also take out the thermostat and get that hose working again.
that way, even if you haven't removed all the old coolant you will dilute it
down to nothing with the hose.

I had all sorts of overheating problems with my 1972 Range Rover. Tried all
sorts as well, including twin electric fans.
 'Mr Range Rover', Geoff Miller (who helped test the Range Rover and sorted
out the Darien Gap problems) also tried a few ideas out... we even got close
to putting cold air vents into the bonnet (hood) - something he'd worked on
in the Sahara during testing.
 Eventually he said that it was just 'old Range Rover disease' which
translates as, after so many years with indifferent coolant changes the ali
block is just too furred up to carry the coolant around properly. Even using
flushing compound didn't work.
 So it's either a new engine or don't tow anything and keep the revs down on
warm days.

Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Faure, Marin <[email-masked]>
To: 'Land Rover Mail Group' <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 1:32 AM
Subject: LRO: Re: Changing RR coolant

> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:57:58 -0700
> From: "Lonn & Rhonda" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: LRO: Re: Changing RR coolant
>
> >Maybe my RR will
> like SAAB anti-freeze?  Seems that any coolant designed for aluminum
> blocked engines should work, but my SAAB tech is insistent on using
> only genuine SAAB anti-freeze.  Wonder why?
>
> Based on my conversations with the engine shop I deal with, it would
> seem you are best off sticking with whatever the vehicle manufacturer
> recommends.  In the Jaguar URL that Perrone Ford posted
> there are some comments in the article about why it's not
> a good idea to switch coolant types in an engine that's been
> run on one type for awhile.
>
> Obviously all the coolants sold in containers labeled
> for a particular vehicle or engine manufacturer are not made by those
> manufacturers.  I suspect that, like batteries and VCRs, there are only
> a few actual coolant manufacturers in the world.  So it may well
> be that the coolant sold under the Saab name is fine for a Range
> Rover.  But I think you should make real sure it is before you try it.
>
> According to the person I talked to at Solihull, the Rover V-8 is
> pretty particular about having the right kind of coolant in it, in
> the right condition.  Old coolant is apparently pretty detrimental.
> As another poster said, the anti-corrosion properties start to
> fail as coolant gets older.  Maybe not a big deal in an iron engine
> but it seems to be a very big deal in an aluminum one.  Now that
> I've started siphoning the old coolant out of our Range Rover instead
> of using the extremely messy, factory-recommended method of
> removing the lower radiator hose, I've become much more
> willing to change the coolant once a year, which from everything
> I've been told is an important contributor to maximizing the engine's
> life.
>
> Our '91 Range Rover came from the factory, or at least from the US
distributor,
> with Prestone in it, and that's what we've run ever since.  We did have to
> install a new radiator
> a year or so ago, not because the original was leaking but because
> it wasn't doing as efficient a job of cooling as it had.  Upon removal,
> we found that about a third of the front surface was plugged with dirt,
bugs,
> grass, etc.  This had been hidden behind the air conditioning and
> transmission fluid heat exchanger assemblies, and so wasn't apparent
> until we actually removed the radiator.  So that was certainly responsible
for some
> of the radiator's lost efficiency.  However, I had been told by several
Range Rover
> mechanics that eight or nine years is about average for a Range Rover
> radiator to go before starting to lose its effectiveness.  In any event,
> it's worth spraying water forward through the radiator periodically to
> clear the crud that gets trapped in front if you do a lot of driving in
> dusty, buggy, etc. conditions.
>
> >And what's the deal with the eco-anti-freeze that won't destroy Fido's
> liver?  Anybody have any experience with it?
>
> From what I've heard, it's certainly better for the environment, but it's
still
> a chemical, and as such still has some toxic qualities.  I would take the
> same precautions when draining a cooling system and disposing of the
> old coolant as you would if you were using Prestone.  I suspect that an
> animal lapping at a puddle of Sierra won't suffer the same
> consequences as they would at a puddle of Prestone, but that's not to
> say nothing will happen to them at all.  Nor do I know what a Sierra-type
> coolant will do in the ground water or in a pond, but I suspect it's not
> good.  Probably just not as bad as a Prestone-type coolant.
> ___________________________
> C. Marin Faure
>   (original owner)
>   1973 Land Rover Series III-88
>   1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
>   Seattle
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:32:20 -0600
From: Rick Grant <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: More on coil stuff

Well, I really did want to get the Lucas Sports coil on after hearing about 
its benefits and because I was convinced that the existing coil had failed.

But turns out that I have the screw in type of leads and the Sports needs 
push in.

I had been convinced that the coil was at fault because when the engine 
failed last night I spent ten minutes replacing the condenser, points and 
rotor and still got no ignition.

So this morning, back in with the old coil after scraping the lead and coil 
contacts nice and shiny (they were badly oxidized), and another look at the 
Green and Haynes manuals for ideas, whereupon I discovered that I had 
improperly secured the condenser and LT wires to the contact breaker 
terminal.  Having put that right I was able to start instantly.
				Rick Grant

Rick Grant Communications
International Media and Crisis Management
Calgary - Ottawa
www.rickgrant.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:06:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: overdrive decals

If interested in an Overdrive by Superwinch oval decal, please contact me   
off list.

Simon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:51:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid

i am going to order 3 bottles from
british victoria in kcmo -- that is the 
plan.  i called all around, none locally
no pep boys in town. 
ray

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Chris Oles wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:56:49 
> From: Chris Oles <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: LRO: castoral brake fluid
> 
> I just picked up some at a Pep Boys last Saturday.  Any of those where 
> you're at?
> 
> Chris
> 
> 
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:01:07 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
> Subject: ...
> 
> i am having problem finding castoral lm5
> brake fluid locally.  is this
> still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
> that an urban myth.  or is it that nobody knows
> and nobody wants to take a chance...
> 
> Sincerely,
> 
> Ray Harder
> 
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
> 

Sincerely,

Ray Harder 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:58:23 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: LR-MBZ related stuff

First off, the parking brake light on my 300D started acting up last week,
flickering on and off at random intervals sometimes when hitting bumps in
the road etc.  I tried pulling the parking brake lever while toeing the
pedal up to no avail.  Put it down to screwy electrics and decided to fix it
later.  You know, probably a bad ground, loose connection with the pedal
switch etc.  It NEVER ocurred to me that the blasted thing was doing what it
was designed to do, telling me that the brake fluid was low in one of the
resevoirs...  ;-)

John asks...

>How happy are you with an 8.5 inch clutch?. The land Rover has a 9.5.
>and doesn't have to handle the power of the 300

Right you are.  However, the engine under question is a 240D, not a 300D,
and as far as being happy/unhappy, it is not in the truck yet....  Tho' I
know of several converted 300Ds running around with 4 speed standard shifts
from 240Ds that have been running well for in excess of 100,000 miles.  The
300D only puts out between 77 and 88 hp, depending on the year (turbo is
much more powerful).

And, Jim Young has been running his setup quite happily for over a year now
(to answer another question).  He and I have been in fairly close
communication over this engine swap since before it was actually running...

Alan suggests...

>Simple enough - if the damn thing uses a central nut

It does.  I had thought of the rethreading options as well.  Welding is a
last option if I cannot make the thing work any other way...  It would be
pretty cool to be able to crank start a diesel.  Just call me Popeye...

I have seen starter crank holes in the bumpers of diesel LWB Land Cruisers,
no idea whether folks were supposed to be able to crank them or not.  Maybe
it is just something to get excess energy from the kids.

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:26:50 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Spelling

 Frank writes - coming from Yorkshire, Bill, you had enough trouble with
English right?

Ee ba gum Frank, thats reet int it!

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:02:40 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Castrol

Ray writes  i am having problem finding castoral lm5
brake fluid locally.   

You will have trouble findinhg this product any where in the world, look
for Castrol!  - grin

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:47:16 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: AJR

Al writes
By the way, Bill - last I was in York I had a couple of pints of Tetley's
at the Monk Bar Hotel in your honor....

Sadist  !!!!

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:59:50 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: U Bolts

>I've had British u-bolts strip the thread easily and u-bolts from India 
>torque
>down real hard. The latter were even coated with some enamel type of
paint.
>Before seeing this, i would have thought i was the other way round.

How do you know they were made in Britain? Purchased in Britain or
supplied from Britain is not the same as "Made in Britain"  Supplied in a
Bearmach box does not mean Made in Britain, supplied in a Rover box does
not mean  Made in Britain either.  (There used to be a place in China
called England, so goods could be labelled Made in England.)  A friend of
mine used to make compter products in Israel labelled' Made in USA" 
 I have some U bolts that were made in Britain, I know because I made
them in Britain, but I don't know if the steel was British Steel, even
though it was AQD released!
YPYMATYC.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:18:15 +0100
From: Paul <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

In article <A0669F3E0A6B3448A962DC6141E6C7A6093FF6@mis1>, John Tackley 
wrote:
> Tony Boyle(hey! I remembered one!),
>
Not quite. Its Tony Doyle. And sadly, he passed away recently.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:05:12 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: fuel tanks

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C0C361.F8DC3900
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Did I read one of the emails correctly where someone (I think it was =
Marin) stated that there is a protective plate under the fuel tank?  I =
looked at mine last night and found nothing but a ton of scratches and =
dings from the P.O. =20

Just wondering.

Rich

- ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C0C361.F8DC3900
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Did I read one of the emails correctly where someone (I think it =
was Marin)=20
stated that there is a protective plate under the fuel tank?&nbsp; I =
looked at=20
mine last night and found nothing but a ton of scratches and dings from =
the=20
P.O.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Just wondering.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rich</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C0C361.F8DC3900--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:48:08 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shuddering

Steve wrote: >>>Turned out that the two bolts that secure the salve cylinder
were loose.<<<

one loose and one missing has the same affect... ask me how I know!

Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:45:24 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

Hi John,
 yes we've been watching the new series of BallyK - complete with Australian
priest who drives a Ford Granada Ghia Coupe.

It is definitely the last series tho' - so they say but there's been quite a
campaign going to keep it so who knows?

My opinion only, it's gone back to being as good as the first series. Of
course we all miss Tony Doyle who died last year.

I've had a personal mail in with Marin - we often discuss television off
list - but I'd appreciate anyone's views on the very first of the series. I
won't say why until you've seen it.

Biggest bummer is Peak Practice which I understand you lot didn't get after
the first series. In a later series a young doctor came in driving a Ser3.
The UK Ser3 Club sent him a sticker at my suggestion and the vehicle wore it
in later programmes. Don't ask what happened to the character (and vehicle)
but the actor now owns his own Land Rover!

We have a cable channel here called BBC Knowledge - all history and
architecture programmes. One day this week I watched a programme about
tracing a family after building work found a grave - the presenter drove a
ragtop Ninety. The next programme was about the Martello Towers built to
resist a Napoleonic invasion - the presenter drove a hardtop Ninety. The
next programme was about the Industrial Revolution - the presenter drove a
110... They were all oldish and therefore quite probably personal vehicles.
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Tackley, John <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 2:20 PM
Subject: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

>
> Frank,
>
> In weeks past there was some discussion of the future of this very popular
> UK BBC production.  I thought it had died, like some of the cast
> members...but...I saw last night that Ballykissangel is returning to BBC
> America next week, with some new cast members to replace those who sadly
> passed on...have you been viewing it over there?
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:36:12 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Mini quest

I wrote the review years ago. It was a press day at Gaydon, before it
opened. Loads of toys to play with. Virtually everything they had that
drove.
Of course I drove the first Land Rover (HUE), the Darien Gap Range Rover,
the Mini, Paddy Hopkirk's Monte Carlo winning Cooper S - which after thirty
years or so wasn't as quick as my own Cooper S - just loads and loads. What
a great, great day. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

On my way to the MG launch next month...
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: M. Tompkins <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 2:00 PM
Subject: LRO: Re: Mini quest

> I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the picture but I believe most of
> us would get more of a kick reading your review.
>
> Some LR content - I've had a few Minis when I was stationed in
> England. The last one I owned was in 1994, I believe it was an
> 1984, and had an 850 engine. At the time I also had a 1987 Harley
> Low Rider (FXLR) that had a 1350 engine. I went from driving that
> Mini to my hybrid 109.
>
> BTW, there are a few pictures of Minis on my web site. Look
> under the BCD events from 1999 and 2000.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
> '66 Hybrid Coiler 109" SW
> http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6623/
>
>
> Frank Elson wrote:
>
> > I've got a pic of me standing next to the first Mini ever made - after I
had
> > just driven it.
> > D'you want me to hunt it out, scan and send it?
> > Best Cheers
> >
> > Frank
> >
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:00:44 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

Alan writes:<<<bummer on Tony Boyle. he was one of the more pivotal
players -
> definitely troublesome.<<<

it was 'Doyle'...and one of the best actors on British television for many
years, a Policeman in one show, an IRA activist in another, a working class
docker in one and a multi-millionaire businessman in another - and yet Bally
K made him an 'overnight star' - his daughter is in the new Bally K - his
real daughter I mean.

>>> This is going to be interesting. I like that show and Brit TV in
general.
> With some very notable exceptions (Coronation Street)<<<

uh ho - NOW you're for it. If I was to tell that to the beloved Marjorie
there'd be a contract out on you tomorrow. We KNOW those folk in Corrie -
they are our neighbours and found in every town in the North, not even
allowed to answer the phone while it's on...and there's a Land Rover in
it...
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:20:05 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: More on coil stuff

If it feels any better you are certainly not the first to do that.
John and Muddy

Rick Grant wrote:
> 
> Well, I really did want to get the Lucas Sports coil on after hearing about
> its benefits and because I was convinced that the existing coil had failed.
> 
> But turns out that I have the screw in type of leads and the Sports needs
> push in.
> 
> I had been convinced that the coil was at fault because when the engine
> failed last night I spent ten minutes replacing the condenser, points and
> rotor and still got no ignition.
> 
> So this morning, back in with the old coil after scraping the lead and coil
> contacts nice and shiny (they were badly oxidized), and another look at the
> Green and Haynes manuals for ideas, whereupon I discovered that I had
> improperly secured the condenser and LT wires to the contact breaker
> terminal.  Having put that right I was able to start instantly.
>                                 Rick Grant
> 
> Rick Grant Communications
> International Media and Crisis Management
> Calgary - Ottawa
> www.rickgrant.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:43:23 +0200
From: "S. Vels" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: U Bolts

William L Leacock wrote:

> How do you know they were made in Britain? Purchased in Britain or

As far as i remember there was a "Made in England" sticker on the bag. Could
be wrong though. It's been years since i  bought them. But i certainly
remember the "Made in India" sticker.

Apart from that, you are of course right.

> YPYMATYC.

Gesundheit.

rgds
sv/aurens - signing off for a weeks vacation.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:31:31 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Peace and Love

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to say publicly that my post using the dialogizer to
convert Marin's post into Swedish Chef dialect was not at all intended as
an attack on Marin.  I found that site and thought I'd type something in
and convert it and post it for humor value.  Then I thought, "what if I
take a recent wordy post and convert it?"  So, I dug through the last
five or so messages received, and there was Marin's nice paragraph
discussing the merits of old cars.  Viola!  
I apologize for causing any unnecessary tension (goodness knows we have
enough necessary tension here).  And for those of you who were able to
enjoy it w/o perceiving it as an attack, congratulations.
If I weren't heading out the door for the evening I'd convert this very
post into a dialect, perhaps "redneck" or "jive" and post it just to show
how fun (and non-confrontational) this can be.

bill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:57:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: 300TDI...price?

Greetings. Any of the folks in  the UK know about what a new 300tdi sells for? I mean just 
an engine.
Thanks

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
        in places even more inaccessible

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:28:29 -0700
From: Mark Pilkington <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel tanks

- --------------ED5AF78E936E4E3D95746C13
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I know, I was concerned about not having plates under my tank too.
Someone said to remove a plate to be able to paint the tank. I have two
tanks, one each side and neither has anything under it except a lot of
dents and scratches. It must have been knocked off!!! My next concern,
one that I have not tackled yet is that the gear oil drains on both
differentials have been smeared flat against the casing by being dragged
against their will over rocks for years. You cannot see the edge, or the
slot any more.  How the hell am I supposed to undo those when I come to
put oil in there!!!!!!  She's had a hard life for sure, I know that
because the last owner told me as I bought her "she's had a hard life,
this one" which is always a giveaway. He owned her since new and did all
the "upgrades" that I am now fixing. The 5.25 liter V8 is the tip of the
iceberg.  You should see where the clutch master cylinder is!  He
pointed at the engine and cocked his head at me and said "don't try to
get that old engine running, because it's screwed, you'll need to
replace it.  I know........I screwed it!!" This was after 16 years of
sitting in the woods below his house. 16 summers over 100 degrees and 16
winters of being buried in snow.  Well she needed a little cleaning, but
she is running as I have mentioned in previous posts. The decision about
wether the engine needs to be rebuilt or not will be left until I have
got the tanks back in and the hydraulics for the clutch and brakes back
on.  Next week will be an eye-opener, because I will be able to drive
her a little.  She will be drooling all manner of colored fluids, but
she will drive. Green from the water pump, black from the engine (old
oil)  and probably red from all four wheels.  Once running and drivable,
with the fenders still off, I will trailer her up the road to a mechanic
friend of mine who will go right through her from top to bottom, tuning,
fixing, making, replacing and me paying. I am "in" her nothing, so I
have allowed myself $4000 to spend fixing her up because that is what
she will be worth when done.  It is frustrating but fun as you well
know.
Bored at work, nobody is buying planes today, so I thought I'd ramble a
bit to kill the time, sorry if anyone was bored too.
Mark Pilkington

Rich Williams II wrote:

> Did I read one of the emails correctly where someone (I think it was
> Marin) stated that there is a protective plate under the fuel tank?  I
> looked at mine last night and found nothing but a ton of scratches and
> dings from the P.O. Just wondering. Rich

- --------------ED5AF78E936E4E3D95746C13
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
I know, I was concerned about not having plates under my tank too.&nbsp;
Someone said to remove a plate to be able to paint the tank. I have two
tanks, one each side and neither has anything under it except a lot of
dents and scratches. It must have been knocked off!!! My next concern,
one that I have not tackled yet is that the gear oil drains on both differentials
have been smeared flat against the casing by being dragged against their
will over rocks for years. You cannot see the edge, or the slot any more.&nbsp;
How the hell am I supposed to undo those when I come to put oil in there!!!!!!&nbsp;
She's had a hard life for sure, I know that because the last owner told
me as I bought her "she's had a hard life, this one" which is always a
giveaway. He owned her since new and did all the "upgrades" that I am now
fixing. The 5.25 liter V8 is the tip of the iceberg.&nbsp; You should see
where the clutch master cylinder is!&nbsp; He pointed at the engine and
cocked his head at me and said "don't try to get that old engine running,
because it's screwed, you'll need to replace it.&nbsp; I know........I
screwed it!!" This was after 16 years of sitting in the woods below his
house. 16 summers over 100 degrees and 16 winters of being buried in snow.&nbsp;
Well she needed a little cleaning, but she is running as I have mentioned
in previous posts. The decision about wether the engine needs to be rebuilt
or not will be left until I have got the tanks back in and the hydraulics
for the clutch and brakes back on.&nbsp; Next week will be an eye-opener,
because I will be able to drive her a little.&nbsp; She will be drooling
all manner of colored fluids, but she will drive. Green from the water
pump, black from the engine (old oil)&nbsp; and probably red from all four
wheels.&nbsp; Once running and drivable, with the fenders still off, I
will trailer her up the road to a mechanic friend of mine who will go right
through her from top to bottom, tuning, fixing, making, replacing and me
paying. I am "in" her nothing, so I have allowed myself $4000 to spend
fixing her up because that is what she will be worth when done.&nbsp; It
is frustrating but fun as you well know.
<br>Bored at work, nobody is buying planes today, so I thought I'd ramble
a bit to kill the time, sorry if anyone was bored too.
<br>Mark Pilkington
<p>Rich Williams II wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><style></style>
Did I read one of the emails correctly
where someone (I think it was Marin) stated that there is a protective
plate under the fuel tank?&nbsp; I looked at mine last night and found
nothing but a ton of scratches and dings from the P.O.&nbsp;Just wondering.&nbsp;Rich</blockquote>

</body>
</html>

- --------------ED5AF78E936E4E3D95746C13--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:33:54 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: LRO Enthusiast Magazine or...

...in search of a decent Land Rover mag.

Does anyone get this newish mag?  If so, what is it like?  I stopped getting
landyporn a couple of years ago as the content-advert ratio in LRO and LRW
was getting pretty high.  Besides, I was getting tired of reading about all
the funky things one could do with Freelanders...

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:07:25 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: High lift jack storage

I was looking at the rear crossmember on my 109 last night, thinking that it
almost looks like Land Rover deliberately designed the thing to catch grit,
salt and mud to enhance the corrosion potential.  Then started to think, why
not replace the whole thing with a beefy piece of rectangular tube.  Then
started to think, what could fit into that big rectangular tube.  And
thought, aHa!  A high lift jack would fit in there, and with a good sealable
door, it would stay dry...

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:03:14 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: 127" turning radius compared to a 109"

Just curious, I know the coilers have a sharper turning radius than the
leafers. Does anyone know firsthand how tight the 127/130 trucks are
compared to a standard 109?

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:35:21 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Looking for Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide

Does anyone know where there is a used copy of this book for sale (in North
America, or preferably Canada...)?  Or, where to find it other than at a
land rover dealership?  I have had no luck with Chapters or Amazon or
alibris.

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 17:05:34 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel tanks

>Did I read one of the emails correctly where someone (I think it was 
>Marin) stated that there is a protective plate under the fuel tank?  I 
>looked at mine last night and found nothing but a ton of scratches and 
>dings from the P.O. 

The factory tank has a second bottom plate for extra strength.  Of course 
rust likes to start at seams along the extra plate too.

The common aftermarket fuel tank ( seam around the side at the middle, 
about half the price as the genuine artical) does not have a second 
protective plate.

I don't remember anyone mentioning holing an aftermarket tank.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 17:05:16 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: U Bolts

>> How do you know they were made in Britain? Purchased in Britain or
>
>As far as i remember there was a "Made in England" sticker on the bag. Could
>be wrong though. It's been years since i  bought them.

Mine had little made in England stickers on the sides.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:27:02 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: fuel tanks

> I know, I was concerned about not having plates under my tank too.
> Someone said to remove a plate to be able to paint the tank. I have two
> tanks, one each side and neither has anything under it except a lot of
> dents and scratches. It must have been knocked off!!!
Aloha Mark and Rich.
Believe that was me.  Seperate the plate from the tank, to paint and prevent
future rust.  You have the plate also, if you don't then the tank is only
held in place by the inlet hose, or you have some custom after market jobby.
The 'plate' is a 14-16 piece that gets welded to the bottom of the fuel
tank, gets a few bends in her, and has the holes drilled in it to mount to
the chassis.
I definately is NOT a skid plate.  It's more like a 'catch water and mud
till the bottom of the tank rusts through' plate.
Pete

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #332
**********************************************