Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #331

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:22:52 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Thursday, April 12 2001 Volume 01 : Number 331

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:59:11 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: MB Adapters

  It is *much* easier to find
> an 8.5" 240D clutch 

> Clinton
> 2.25 Petrol Apostate
 
How happy are you with an 8.5 inch clutch?. The land Rover has a 9.5.
and doesn't have to handle the power of the 300
John and Muddy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:53:36 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: RE: Re: Changing RR coolant

An economical (aka True LRO) substitute for RedLine Water Wetter is Jetdry
dishwasher additive.

OH?

COOL!

How is it on corrosiveness, though?

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:58:39 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Peter Oglive gloated:

started on the 2nd crank despite having sat through a
bitterly cold 68 degree night.

Y'know, I hate you and the island you rode in on....8*)

I've had to use the hand crank in anger one or two times - one of them
being when the starter packed up in a motorway coffee stop on the way to
Southampton.

40-odd year old truck, original wires, original points - and the bugger
started on the third try!

Not too shabby....

FYI - I know about the repeating messages - thanks - I fixed it - apologies
to the list.

                              ALan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:01:38 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Shipfitters...

There have been occasions when doubts have been cast.

Trevor "Bionics and orthotics" Easton

> well now, there's me and Trevor Easton, and probably others, who have bits
> of metal inside there that our mummies and daddies never made for us...
> 
> mind you, there are folk who don't think I'm human, how about you Trev ?
> 
> Best Cheers
> 
> Frank
>    
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:05:43 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Coil Equivalent #

Re: MG bits for LR:

We were discussing distributors, but the coil for a Midget is the same as
an LR.....internally ballasted.

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:07:30 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

Greenville, Maine? Wherethefratz is THAT?

                    aj"8*)"r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:20:44 -0400
From: "Peter Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: paint

G-Day,
           I was checking through my papers some time back when the paint
subject came up to see if I could find the colour chart I had listing all
the paint numbers up till the 80s, but it is nowhere to be found. We were
repainting rovers in Australia years back and we got our paint from a
company called "Wattle Paints "and we found that their colours at that time
were just about spot on, they didn't have names just numbers. I carn't
remember what year Land/Rover  gave you a choise of colours but I do know at
one time S/W/B was green  L/W/B was Grey or Air Force Blue. I remember when
I bought my new 88" in 1969  I  couldn't belive it when they gave me a
choise of colours and I picked Sand.  I dodn't think those older paints are
on the market any more because of their lead content etc.
Peter.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Ogilvie <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 2:42 AM
Subject: LRO: Re: Cameron Green???

> One of the colors for series rovers is Cameron Green.  Can someone
describe
> this color.  My 109 was originally a medium green, kind of a jade color.
> Been trying to find out what the color is.  It is not really a pastel
color
> so don't think its pastel green.  The truck was repainted that
institutional
> pastel green that every school in the 50's was painted.  That's how the
> truck got the name 'slime'.  See that there was a medium green that early
> series I's were painted, could it be this color???
>
> The truck is a 1966 109 regular originally outfitted as a fire truck with
> pump on the front.
>
> Aloha
> Peter Ogilvie
> Kona Coffee Rover
> 1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
>      from exposure of the dark side.
> 1966 109 pickup 'slime'  In my garage since '90, finally up and running
> 12/00.
> 1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
> 196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
>      certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:27:42 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Marin, the Swedish Chef

That's the most goddam hilarious thing I've seen in months. ROTFLMFAO!!
- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:29:17 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Humanity...

There have been occasions when doubts have been cast.

Yes, usually by those of us who have met him.....

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:34:00 -0500
From: "cde3" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

It is on Moosehead, a large lake in the northern part of the state.
Beautiful area in the summer ( and winter if you like lots of snow!)
Don Emery
(formerly of Gardiner, Maine, now exiled in NW Indiana)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

>
> Greenville, Maine? Wherethefratz is THAT?
>
>                     aj"8*)"r
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:53:56 -0400
From: Gerald <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

52B 4.9 miles on heading 156 from the Squaw NDB. :-)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:07:30 -0400, you wrote:

>
>Greenville, Maine? Wherethefratz is THAT?
>
>                    aj"8*)"r

- --
Gerald
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:59:31 -0000
From: "G Spencer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Shuddering

Well I fixed my zenith warp last night, makes a big difference, but now I 
have a new problem. While putting the truck back in the garage after a long 
"test" drive, the truck started shuttering while letting the clutch out in 
first. I put it in reverse, and I could hear metal banging in the engine 
compartment as I let the shuddering get worse to try to diagnose. It seems 
if I let the clutch out fast, there feels like some slight slippage, but if 
I east it out the truck starts bucking and shuddering. I'm at a loss, I 
don't know where to start trouble shooting. Any help would be greatly 
appreciated. Oh, it's a 95% 1970 Land Rover IIa (it has new sparking plugs, 
some rubber bits, and I have changed the various oils several times so it's 
not 100% :)

Thanks,
Graham
70 IIa

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:59:38 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Marin,

Early RRs have a hand crank and a crank hole in the front bumber for
hand-starting the 3.5 V8...not sure when LR stopped equipping RRs that way.

Marin said:
"Of course it may not even be possible to hand-crank 
a V-8, 300 cu in. six, Iron Duke, etc., in which case creating the 
hardware to do it would be a waste of time."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:00:49 -0400
From: "M. Tompkins" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Mini quest

I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the picture but I believe most of
us would get more of a kick reading your review.

Some LR content - I've had a few Minis when I was stationed in
England. The last one I owned was in 1994, I believe it was an
1984, and had an 850 engine. At the time I also had a 1987 Harley
Low Rider (FXLR) that had a 1350 engine. I went from driving that
Mini to my hybrid 109.

BTW, there are a few pictures of Minis on my web site. Look
under the BCD events from 1999 and 2000.

Cheers,
Mike
'66 Hybrid Coiler 109" SW
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6623/

Frank Elson wrote:

> I've got a pic of me standing next to the first Mini ever made - after I had
> just driven it.
> D'you want me to hunt it out, scan and send it?
> Best Cheers
>
> Frank
>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:08:05 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

OK - Mossehead Lake area - way the fratz up tin the boonies....

Not going to happen as a casual run...8*)

               aj"6 bloody hours from here...."r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:09:23 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

Gerald mumbles:

52B 4.9 miles on heading 156 from the Squaw NDB. :-)

And when I put wings on my 109 that will be really handy......

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:11:58 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Alan,
How do you have your winch mounted? The Red Zit has the original mount (I 
think) for the Belleview which precludes hand cranking. Did you just mount 
your's on top of the bumper?

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:20:33 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: Shuddering

This is usually caused by oil on the clutch plates but also by broken
antishudder springs in the clutch disc, Bad pilotshaft bushing and
sticky linkage and all or any of the above.
John and Muddy

G Spencer wrote:
> 
> Well I fixed my zenith warp last night, makes a big difference, but now I
> have a new problem. While putting the truck back in the garage after a long
> "test" drive, the truck started shuttering while letting the clutch out in
> first. I put it in reverse, and I could hear metal banging in the engine
> compartment as I let the shuddering get worse to try to diagnose. It seems
> if I let the clutch out fast, there feels like some slight slippage, but if
> I east it out the truck starts bucking and shuddering. I'm at a loss, I
> don't know where to start trouble shooting. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Oh, it's a 95% 1970 Land Rover IIa (it has new sparking plugs,
> some rubber bits, and I have changed the various oils several times so it's
> not 100% :)
> 
> Thanks,
> Graham
> 70 IIa
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:20:21 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

Frank,

In weeks past there was some discussion of the future of this very popular
UK BBC production.  I thought it had died, like some of the cast
members...but...I saw last night that Ballykissangel is returning to BBC
America next week, with some new cast members to replace those who sadly
passed on...have you been viewing it over there?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:51:50 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Marin,

Early RRs have a hand crank and a crank hole in the front bumber for
hand-starting the 3.5 V8...not sure when LR stopped equipping RRs that way.

As do 101s wirth the same engine.

You CAN start a RR so equipped on the hand crank....damn near killed
myself, but it can be done. Actually, scratch that - it was the 3.9 I put
in that I did that with.

               aj"Kicked HARD..."r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:13:18 +0100
From: "Steve Mace" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shuddering

Took me 2 years to sort this out on my SIII LtWt.

I tried new engine mounts,
new gearbox mounts,
bleeding the clutch,
adjusting clutch etc.... etc.....

Turned out that the two bolts that secure the salve cylinder were loose.

On 12 Apr 2001, at 12:59, G Spencer wrote:

> Well I fixed my zenith warp last night, makes a big difference, but now I 
> have a new problem. While putting the truck back in the garage after a long 
> "test" drive, the truck started shuttering while letting the clutch out in 
> first. I put it in reverse, and I could hear metal banging in the engine 
> compartment as I let the shuddering get worse to try to diagnose. It seems 
> if I let the clutch out fast, there feels like some slight slippage, but if 
> I east it out the truck starts bucking and shuddering. I'm at a loss, I 
> don't know where to start trouble shooting. Any help would be greatly 
> appreciated. Oh, it's a 95% 1970 Land Rover IIa (it has new sparking plugs, 
> some rubber bits, and I have changed the various oils several times so it's 
> not 100% :)

Steve

1972 SIII LtWt Green
1993 D90 Red
- -------------------------------------
Name: Dr Steve Mace
E-mail: [email-masked]
www: http://www.solwise.co.uk
Tel: 0845 458 4558 (local rate)
Fax: 0845 458 4559
Intl. Fax. +44 1482 621877
- -------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:53:38 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shuddering

Clutch is on the way out, or oil-soaked. The one in my II sis the same
thing before it eventually started to slip big-time.

Another possibility if the clutch is fairly new is bad engine mounts, or
transmission mounts.

                         ajr1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:56:54 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Spool the cable off and use a longer crank handle through the fairlead...

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:58:57 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

OK, who died in the cast? Oh, dear....there goes my Monday evenings....

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:22:21 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: DC-3

> Greenville, Maine? Wherethefratz is THAT?
>
>                     aj"8*)"r
Hey, my dad has a house in Greeneville, so we all have a place to stay
during this road trip.  Well it's not really a house, more of a cabin, err
maybe a shack.  And if we go in the winter, will need snowmobiles to get to
it.  Will definately need the Series to make it if no snow on the ground.
Oh and remember to bring a can of lpg or two for the stove and the lights,
ohh and a toilet seat.  The skunks/racoons/beavers (not sure which) will eat
one if left in the out house.  A gun is a good idea also, last time i was
there a pack of coy dogs (wild dog/coyote pack) tore up some stuff.  Was a
pretty scary night, could hear them sniffing around, trying to find a way
in.  I would say scare the crap out of yah, but that would involve trecking
to the outhouse, not a good plan.
Greenville itself is a hoot.  Got a date?  Don't waste your money on dinner
and a movie (because that involves a 2 hour round trip drive), oh no drive
over to the dump to watch the bears.  Did I mention the gun thing yet?
The drive to Geenville is pretty awsome.  Lots of great sites and you drive
through some of Maines less known towns, Like Letter E, Letter K, and Letter
L.  Be carefull in Letter L though, you can get easily losts, there are
those two raods ya know.  Or worse yet, get caught up some of the gangland
warfare going on between it's 13 residents.
You think I am kidding?  Look at a map and you will see that most of
northern Maine is broken down into the towns Letter A through Letter Z.  I
ought to dig out a picture I took of myself in Letter E a few winters ago.
Think thats about it.  Hmm, maybe I wont go after all.  But you are still
welcome to use the cabin, no lock on the door so don't need my key.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:26:41 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

Reminds me of a large diesel I encounted in my youth. I was around 8.5
litres and drove a water pump on a flow test rig. Hand cranked by lifting a
decompression lever and winding up to some revs then progressively engaging
cylinders. Very aerobic and exciting exercise. 

We also used to semi hand crank the 16 cyl Alco engine in the LRC
locomotives when the batteries were not up to the job (often). Even more
exciting as it was never designed for hand starting. Procedure was to open
all the cylinder bleed cocks then using battery power and barring gear spin
engine over. close cocks one by one. As cylinders started to fire the revs
would increase and then some open cylinders would fire also so that the last
eight or so bleed cocks were spouting flame as you reached up to close them.

> You CAN start a RR so equipped on the hand crank....damn near killed
> myself, but it can be done. Actually, scratch that - it was the 3.9 I put
> in that I did that with.
> 
>                aj"Kicked HARD..."r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 07:26:56 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Hand cranking and engine swaps

>Compression is the bane of hand-cranking.  I would have really liked
>to retain the ability to hand-crank my 109 after the conversion, but
>the reality is that it would take two strong men and a boy to crank my
>10.25:1 compression V8.  (can you say "Fill 'er up with Premium"?)
>You gain some things, and lose others when you change engines.

You know in the 20 years I had a 2.25 engine in my LR I never once had 
occasion to use the hand crank.  So I do not miss it in the slightest.

Not being obsesed with raw power like Lonn & some others are ( I think 3X 
the rated 2.25L HP is acceptable performance), I ended up with the low 
compression version of the 302.  And yes I can say "Fill'er up with 
regular please".  

And I can also look the coiler Land Rover owners straight and the eye and 
say "Is that all the fuel milage you get?  And you only have how much 
HP?".  I can almost do it with a straight face.

And yes I can say hybrid

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 07:37:10 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: The great shock debate (U-bolts)

>> ...There are some cheap poor strength 'U' bolts in the LR
>> aftermarket.  Either get US  "u" bolts or genuine ones.
>
>I've had British u-bolts strip the thread easily and u-bolts from India 
>torque
>down real hard. The latter were even coated with some enamel type of paint.
>Before seeing this, i would have thought i was the other way round.

Hard to say who is formulating what.  I soft ones I got were British made 
too.  The threads started stripping just a little over 40 pounds torque.  
I ended up getting new ex-Mod stock from P.A. Blanchard.

But the US 4X4 people will absolutly not put up with that kind of junk, 
so US aftermarket 'U' bolt sources are safe bets.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 07:58:36 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Coil Equivalent #

Any internally balasted coil should do.  Or an externally balasted one 
with a ballast resister.  

Most people just get the Lucas Sports coil since it is the high voltage 
version of the original Lucas coil.  Some people who don't mind buchering 
the originality of their car use the Bosch blue coil.  But you would no 
longer have a real Land Rover if you did that.

If you are going for concourse let me know and I will dig into the Lucas 
parts catalog I have filed away and dig up the correct Lucas number for 
the application.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 01 07:59:00 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE:  Marin Faure

>Hey come on guys, at least he takes the time and trouble to rant and it does
>at least create some discussion. Give the guy break and I'm sure he'll
>quieten down a little perhaps but not too much.

Golly, about a year or so ago people were wondering about people that 
were not posting much if at all any anymore.  I do recall multiple people 
wondering why Marin was so quiet and saying that they really liked his 
postings.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:30:35 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

ajr asked:

"OK, who died in the cast? Oh, dear....there goes my Monday evenings...."

Names, you want names I bet...sheesh, I'm an old fart...I remember faces but
not the names that go with 'em...
OK let's see now...Tony Boyle(hey! I remembered one!), the rich RR driving
golf course owner & Neih's father(pronounced 'Neve', but I haven't a clue
why...); and the old short pig farmer, Danny's uncle (and also of 'Waking
Ned Divine' fame).  In the pre-quels, the young priest/assisstant pastor is
gone (sure hope Orla, his looker sister stays on...), replaced by an Aussie
priest from down under(now that's a long range transfer).  Also shown are
some new and old faces (the vet is one I remember).  
There's a preview on BBC America Easter Sunday night, the 15th, and the
regular episodes begin Monday the 16th.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:38:07 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

Alan wrote,

>So, essentially, you're doing a Scotty's trick - replacing the arse end >of
the motor with a flywheel cover that mimics the LR...

I did not realize that was how Scotty did it.  I got the idea after looking
at a Steve Parker PUG diesel adapter kit...

>Nice design

Wait to tell me that after its build and running...

> - that's got to be an interesting bit of CNC work.

Actually, I think they are going to be dong it on a mucking huge lathe and
milling machine.  It is pretty basic maching...

I am going to try to figure out a way to weld the bits of a starter dog onto
the front pulley of the MB.  IF that is not reasonable, then I will adapt a
wobble bit to fit on the end of the hand crank to hold a deep socket to run
into the pulley socket.  I don't have any illusions about being able to hand
crank a diesel, but I would miss the ability to wedge the engine around by
hand.  Besides, I need to have something to fill up those clips on the
bulkhead behind the seat...

Speaking of front pulleys, this engine has a removable/replaceable distance
piece on the pulley where the front crank oil seal runs.  Much like the
pieces on a series stub shaft.  Lots of nice little touches like that on
this motor...

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:51:17 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: TO: Frank E./other UK listers...Ballykissangel

Damn - bummer on Tony Boyle. he was one of the more pivotal players -
definitely troublesome.

This is going to be interesting. I like that show and Brit TV in general.
With some very notable exceptions (Coronation Street), I find Britccoms and
serials much more watchable than US TV.

Anyone else here like "As Time Goes By"?

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:01:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

i am having problem finding castoral lm5
brake fluid locally.  is this
still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
that an urban myth.  or is it that nobody knows
and nobody wants to take a chance...

Sincerely,

Ray Harder 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:12:46 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

I am going to try to figure out a way to weld the bits of a starter dog
onto
the front pulley of the MB.

Simple enough - if the damn thing uses a central nut (and most do as well
as pulley bolts) then take a starter dog, mill off the old bolt and drill
and thread it for a bit of allthread or a bolt end of the right pitch. A
bit of Loctite and Bob's your uncle...

OR

If the threading on the end of the crank is of a small enough size in
comparison to the LR starter dog (which wouldn't be a big surprise) then
just machine the threads off the stud and rethread it. As LBSC would say,
"A kiddie's practice job..."...and well within the capabilities of Hans and
Frantz at your machine shop either way.

Either way, no welding involved....much better that way.  Welded anything
that is under tension alweays makes me nervous....just a personal fetish.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:15:00 -0600
From: Rick Grant <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Coil Equivalent #

At 07:58 12/04/01 -0700, TeriAnn Wakeman, wrote
>Any internally balasted coil should do.  Or an externally balasted one
>with a ballast resister.
>
>Most people just get the Lucas Sports coil since it is the high voltage
>version of the original Lucas coil.  Some people who don't mind buchering
>the originality of their car use the Bosch blue coil.  But you would no
>longer have a real Land Rover if you did that.
>
>If you are going for concourse let me know and I will dig into the Lucas
>parts catalog I have filed away and dig up the correct Lucas number for
>the application.

I picked up a Lucas Sports this morning at what I think is the only British 
car repair outfit in town.

Concourse?  Not hardly bloody likely.  I just want it to run reliably.

                                             Rick Grant

  				  1959 Series II   "88"
				  VORIZO

Rick Grant Communications
Media and Crisis Management
Calgary Ottawa
www.rickgrant.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:16:35 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

<html><head></head><body>Well.. its Castrol GT/LMA that you SHOULD be looking for!&nbsp; :)<br>
<br>
And I believe that the "castrol only" is a myth.&nbsp; I am perfectly comfortable
using other brake fluid.&nbsp; I intend to change over to ATE blue with my next
fluid change.<br>
<br>
- -P<br>
<br>
Ray Harder wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]"><pre wrap="">i am having problem finding castoral lm5<br>brake fluid locally.  is this<br>still a requirement for british brake rubber or is<br>that an urban myth.  or is it that nobody knows<br>and nobody wants to take a chance...<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Ray Harder <br><br><br><br><br></pre>
  </blockquote>
  <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:28:20 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

 is this
still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
that an urban myth.

THis is NOT a myth as far as I am concerned and I ate the braking system to
prove it.

It was when I first owned Mr. C - had done all new seals and the like and
flushed it with Pyroil DOT4 fluid. A week later I was doing it all again as
the DOT 4 fluid had eaten my braking system.

Never, never, never again will I put anything other than GT-LMA in  my
trucks.

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:41:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Ray Harder wrote:

:
:i am having problem finding castoral lm5
:brake fluid locally.  is this
:still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
:that an urban myth.  or is it that nobody knows
:and nobody wants to take a chance...

I'd not want to take the chance.  You're in columbia, right?  I've bought
GT/LMA there.  I think it was a place on the west end of business 70, but
I'm not sure, and it was a couple years ago.

David
- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:44:27 -0400
From: Perrone Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

<html><head></head><body>Thanks Alan...<br>
<br>
What kind of truck do you have (series I am assuming).&nbsp; I forgot to ask Ray
what kind of truck he was running.&nbsp; I have GOT to remember that this is a
SERIES truck forum...<br>
<br>
My apologies.<br>
<br>
- -Perrone<br>
<br>
Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]"><pre wrap=""> is this<br>still a requirement for british brake rubber or is<br>that an urban myth.<br><br>THis is NOT a myth as far as I am concerned and I ate the braking system to<br>prove it.<br><br>It was when I first owned Mr. C - had done all new seals and the like and<br>flushed it with Pyroil DOT4 fluid. A week later I was doing it all again as<br>the DOT 4 fluid had eaten my braking system.<br><br>Never, never, never again will I put anything other than GT-LMA in  my<br>trucks.<br><br>                         ajr<br><br><br><br><br></pre>
  </blockquote>
  <br>
</body></html>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:45:33 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Coil Equivalent #

>I picked up a Lucas Sports this morning at what I think is the only
British
>car repair outfit in town.

Good choice - Mr. C has had one for years. Works great.

>Concourse?  Not hardly bloody likely.  I just want it to run reliably.

Amen, brother...

               aj"DELCO! DELCO! DELCO! 8*)"r

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:51:11 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Painting

I have had excellent results by having having dupont centari mixed up in 
rattle cans.  You get the original color, ease of touchups and its not to 
expensive.  Much easier to get good results with rattle cans.  If you are 
careful, you can get factory finish results or very close.  Also, you'll save 
time over brush painting.
- -Regards
- -Ike Goss (1959 SII 88)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:52:43 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

>Welded anything
>that is under tension alweays makes me nervous....just a personal fetish.
>
>                     ajr

You just haven't met the right welder, that's all. ;^]

- -todd
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:52:17 -0400
From: Matt Peckham <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

 OK, Alan, I was about to replace all my wheel cylinders today, and put new
shoes on.  Is there anywhere around here to pick up the correct stuff?

Matt

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 4/12/01 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

 is this
still a requirement for british brake rubber or is
that an urban myth.

THis is NOT a myth as far as I am concerned and I ate the braking system
to
prove it.

It was when I first owned Mr. C - had done all new seals and the like
and
flushed it with Pyroil DOT4 fluid. A week later I was doing it all again
as
the DOT 4 fluid had eaten my braking system.

Never, never, never again will I put anything other than GT-LMA in  my
trucks.

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:56:34 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Galvanizing

I have had just about every part on a rover dipped at some point and have had 
good luck doing it.  Bulkheads turn out very nicely in my experience.    I 
guess I appreciate the fact that I wont have to waste my time with rust in 
the future . . . .I'd rather be driving my truck anyway.
- -Regards
- -Ike Goss
(1959 SII 88 Wagon)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:00:15 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Marin, the Swedish Chef

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:10:35 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Marin, the Swedish Chef

>I found a groovy website that converts text a good number of dialects. 
http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/   I pasted Marin's latest post re. new
vehicles in and selected "swedish chef."  

I'm flattered that you associated me with the Muppets Show, as it 
was one of the best-conceived, best-written, and best-executed 
television shows ever.  Even their odd-ball characters like the Swedish 
Chef were very cleverly done.  But although it's nice to be 
put on the same status as this show, I'm surprised you selected 
this production to insult me, as I would have thought the Muppets Show 
was far above your capacity to grasp.  But perhaps one of your neighbors 
or your kids explained it to you.  I would have expected 
you to superimpose me on top of something perhaps more to your ability 
to understand, say Baywatch, As the World Turns, or a Bud Lite commercial.  
Well, maybe not a Bud Lite commercial, as they are usually quite clever and 
require a modicum of intelligence to appreciate.  Keep in mind that 99.999 
percent of the world's population doesn't know or care that either one of us exist.  
Perhaps you can explain to me why I should be an exception in your case.  
But do so off-list as I'm guessing most of the participants here aren't all that 
interested.  I look forward to your reply.  Cheers.
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:00:46 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

And I believe that the "castrol only" is a myth.  I am perfectly
comfortable using other brake fluid.  I intend to change over to ATE blue
with my next fluid change.

- -P

Perrone, are you referring specifically to your Range Rover or is there
another truck you're working with here? Rangies may well have later type
seals - Series vehicles most definitely do NOT in the vast majority of
cases.

It's not worth the risk at the price. Uless you're doing silicone fluids
(another kettle of fish i don't plan to stew) GT/LMA is the way to go.

BTW, Pep Boys sells LMA in 1 liter bottles for about 5 bucks...

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:02:44 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

Thanks Alan...

What kind of truck do you have (series I am assuming).

Which one? 8*)

Got 2 - an 88 and a 109.

Both essentially original - the only mod on the 88 is a CD player mount
bolted to the dashboard.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:07:06 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

You just haven't met the right welder, that's all. ;^]

- -todd
_______

Considering I do all my own welding, you're right......<no smiley - never
trust my own work in anything for some reason...>.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:13:19 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

Clinton,

Have you seen Jim Young's website w/ his mercedes 240 diesel conversion?  He 
might be a good person to contact if you are looking for some more specific 
advice.  heres the URL:
http://mercedesrover.freeservers.com/

regards,
- -todd

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:15:21 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: castoral brake fluid...

Re: Where to get it:

Look up the nearest Pep Boys - or there is an auto-parts place on 129 past
the 38 Junction heading for 93 that has it - across from the Textron
facilities if I remember correctly.

NOTE: I know where Matt lives...and it's in my old stomping grounds.....8*)

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:21:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:

:
:You just haven't met the right welder, that's all. ;^]
:
:-todd
:_______
:
:Considering I do all my own welding, you're right......<no smiley - never
:trust my own work in anything for some reason...>.
:

I trust you've read "Unskilled and Unaware of It: 
        How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead 
        to Inflated Self-Assessments"
in the "Journal of Personality and Social Psych." vol 77 no 6?  (Available
online at http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html )

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #331
**********************************************