LRO: LR-MBZ related stuff

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 15:58:23 EDT

    First off, the parking brake light on my 300D started acting up last week,
    flickering on and off at random intervals sometimes when hitting bumps in
    the road etc. I tried pulling the parking brake lever while toeing the
    pedal up to no avail. Put it down to screwy electrics and decided to fix it
    later. You know, probably a bad ground, loose connection with the pedal
    switch etc. It NEVER ocurred to me that the blasted thing was doing what it
    was designed to do, telling me that the brake fluid was low in one of the
    resevoirs... ;-)

    John asks...

    >How happy are you with an 8.5 inch clutch?. The land Rover has a 9.5.
    >and doesn't have to handle the power of the 300

    Right you are. However, the engine under question is a 240D, not a 300D,
    and as far as being happy/unhappy, it is not in the truck yet.... Tho' I
    know of several converted 300Ds running around with 4 speed standard shifts
    from 240Ds that have been running well for in excess of 100,000 miles. The
    300D only puts out between 77 and 88 hp, depending on the year (turbo is
    much more powerful).

    And, Jim Young has been running his setup quite happily for over a year now
    (to answer another question). He and I have been in fairly close
    communication over this engine swap since before it was actually running...

    Alan suggests...

    >Simple enough - if the damn thing uses a central nut

    It does. I had thought of the rethreading options as well. Welding is a
    last option if I cannot make the thing work any other way... It would be
    pretty cool to be able to crank start a diesel. Just call me Popeye...

    I have seen starter crank holes in the bumpers of diesel LWB Land Cruisers,
    no idea whether folks were supposed to be able to crank them or not. Maybe
    it is just something to get excess energy from the kids.

    Clinton