LRO: Re: Re: Changing RR coolant

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 07:52:32 EDT

    its always worth reverse flushing the whole system while changing the
    coolant.
     Get as much as you can out - in whatever way suits you best, then use the
    hose pipe on the radiator (put it in the bottom hole).
     also take out the thermostat and get that hose working again.
    that way, even if you haven't removed all the old coolant you will dilute it
    down to nothing with the hose.

    I had all sorts of overheating problems with my 1972 Range Rover. Tried all
    sorts as well, including twin electric fans.
     'Mr Range Rover', Geoff Miller (who helped test the Range Rover and sorted
    out the Darien Gap problems) also tried a few ideas out... we even got close
    to putting cold air vents into the bonnet (hood) - something he'd worked on
    in the Sahara during testing.
     Eventually he said that it was just 'old Range Rover disease' which
    translates as, after so many years with indifferent coolant changes the ali
    block is just too furred up to carry the coolant around properly. Even using
    flushing compound didn't work.
     So it's either a new engine or don't tow anything and keep the revs down on
    warm days.

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW