LRO: RE: DC 3's

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 21:02:19 EDT

    Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:44:12 -0400
    From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <Alan_Richer@Lotus.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: RE: DC 3's

    >>The set on the DC-3 in New England

    >OK, I missed this - what DC3 on floats WHERE in New England?

    At one time the DC-3 in question was based in Maine, but I couldn't
    say for sure that's where it is now. It was created several years
    ago by mating the only remaining set
    of C-47 amphibious floats made by EDO during WWII to a
    civilian DC-3, which is for all practical purposes identical to
    a C-47. The idea was to create a unique airplane that could be
    taken to airshows around the country, thus paying the cost
    of the initial project and operating expenses. From talking
    to folks I know in the seaplane business, this concept hasn't
    really panned out very well. The last I heard, the airplane was for
    sale, although finding someone with the money to buy and operate
    such a beast won't be easy. At least the plane can be operated
    from airports and isn't confined to water operations only, which
    would really limit its earnings potential on the airshow circuit. I've
    talked to pilots who flew them during testing at EDO during the war,
    and they say the plane handled very well, both on the water and in
    the air. The program was cancelled after two C-47s had been fitted
    with the floats, not because the concept didn't work but because the
    planes proved unnecessary in the Pacific theatre, where the Navy
    Seabees could construct an operational runway with days of an
    amphibious landing on an island.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88