LRO: Re: Engine rebuild time

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 19:43:30 EDT

    Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:54:09 -0600
    From: "Jim Hall" <jimfoo@qwest.net>
    Subject: LRO: GRRRRR-engine rebuild time

    >So if my engine started missing, and when I step on the gas it backfires
    through the carb, what is that most likely to be? Head gasket, burnt
    valve?

    It might also be worth checking the points. I had a similar symptom on
    a trip to the Yukon and Northwest Territories in 1977. The vehicle started
    missing, and it progressively got worse until it wouldn't run at speed at all.
    Backfiring, missing, terrible. But it would start and idle just fine. Checked the fuel
    feed and it was okay. Turned out the problem was the points had worn
    through their hard coating, and then they eroded very rapidly. Put in a new
    set of points, and the thing ran perfectly. This may not be your problem at
    all, but it might be worth checking out. Usually an engine problem that materializes
    right away is pretty minor, in that it's just an adjustment or failed component like
    points, fuel pump, etc. A more major problem generally takes time to become
    apparent. Not a hard and fast rule, of course, but it's been my experience that's what
    happens.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88