Re: LRO: RE: The great shock debate

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 10:41:15 EDT

    > Forget the woodheads. If for no other reason than they need to be
    >replaced about ever 40-50k miles

    I disagree. My Woodhead shocks have consistently lasted much much longer.

    > I've ridden on parabolic and stock springs. If you ride without heavy
    >loads most of the time, the parabolic are FAR superior.

    But then the vehicle would no longer be a Land Rover. It would be a Land
    Rover hybrid.

    Seriously parabolics will add side lean on corners and make the Rover's
    centre of gravity more side to side dynamic on bumps. There is a price
    for better shock absorption on tarmac and maintained roads. I believe
    that a high density plastic sheet between leaf springs can smooth out the
    ride while not adding appreciably to dynamic instability on corners and
    bumps.

    I remain unconvenced that putting Santana springs under a Land Rover
    allows the Land Rover to handle extreme off road situations any better.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html