LRO: RE: RE: DC 3's

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 15:10:28 EDT

    Peter said:

    "Talking about flying in archaeological artifacts. Used to fly as a
    passenger in a C54 from Oahu to Kauai back in the early '70s. Was poking
    around in the airplane and found a plaque that the airplane had been used in

    the Berlin airlift. Further investigation found that the airplane was built

    before I was borne in '44. Assume that plane has long since gone to the
    bone yard. That squadron also had a C-47 that I flew in once. Was afraid
    to ask how old that one was."

    OK, here's my only flying 'story'...many many years ago, in a past life
    before reincarnation into the present one...sorry...I worked in Long
    Beach...one of my accounts was the LA Cty Sherriff's Office on Catalina
    Island...you remember the song..."26 miles across the sea"yadayada...so, OK,
    when I had to visit to repair this or that machine, I would purchase a
    ticket on the only commercial airline servicing the village of Avalon (the
    only settlement on the island)which was called...damn, what was it
    called....oh yeah....Catalina Airlines. Took off from Long Beach
    Municipal...I thought the plane was old and it had those big skis on
    them...what do you cal them Marin?...oh yeah...floats. Well the seats were
    quaint, made of some natural material after all...rattan...some dried
    weed?...all 6 or 8 of 'em...anyway, they were light in weight...the pilot
    flung back the cloth curtain to the cockpit and asked if we were all
    ready..."yup"...we taxi out and take off...then he reaches down beside his
    seat and grabs what looked like a short LR handcrank...WTF???...he sticks it
    into a hole in the floor and nonchalantly cranked up the landing
    gear!!!...OK, so now I had to ask him..."What is this plane???"...I
    shouted...he shouts back...

    "1937 Grumman Seaplane...tough as nails," he says...

    we fly awhile, he circles the island...makes his approach...hits the
    water...which completly covers my window...I remember thinking..."This can't
    be good..."...but we son bob to the surface, the pilot uses that crank again
    to drop the wheels and he taxis up a concrete ramp next to a little
    shack..."We're here, folks"...and that's my story...it was so cool...but the
    coolest was when they had an 'emergency' call/repair...then they would send
    the Sherriff's Bell Helo to pick me up...yeah that was the life!

    JT/ric