Re: Re LRO: crap crap crap

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 10:46:15 EDT

    > Peter, Dwell meters are getting rare. If your Fluke has Duty Cycle you
    > are in business. on a four cylinder 90 deg dwell = 100% duty cycle, so
    > the conversion is straight forward.

    Yes, my fluke measures duty, dwell, etc. Just dont know how to hook it up.
    Will check the green manual again, but don't remember seeing it there.

    > If you can change point gap by gently wiggling the dist. shaft it needs
    > rebushed. Checking point gap like you described would find a bent shaft
    > but might not find worn bushes.
    Very good point. I should yank the dizzy and check for bushing wear.
    Rebushing is pretty easy.
    I am also concerned becasue I know that the PO changed out the timing chain.
    I have an 8:1 head and am running hightest right now, but if I go any more
    advanced then tdc it pings on load.

    > The carb really sounds like you have no fuel flowing in the idle circuit,
    > Try loosing the idle jet and see if you can close the throttle some more
    > with it stalling. If so you have a clogged idle jet. If you have a
    > anti-diesel solenoid on your idle jet make sure you get a good solid
    > click when it energizes.

    Yes, I can enrichen the mixture and can back off on the idle. When I
    rebuilt the carb I removed the brass plug that is on the outside of the carb
    for the idle ports. Soaked the body in a carb tank over night. I replugged
    with a brass plug and then blew compressed air through the ports. Finsihed
    rebuilding the carb. No difference in idle :-(
    Guess I could pull it all back off again and recheck. Maybe try some thin
    copper wire through the circuit. Wont spend too much time with it though,
    the Pierce and DVG will be here Thursday.
    Thanks for the info
    Pete