Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #322

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:28:39 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Monday, April 9 2001 Volume 01 : Number 322

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:47:21 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: The Quest for Verisimilitude

Alan, you didn't see Frank dancing on the table at the ARC National a
couple of years ago. That image will stay with me for a while 8).

- ---
Andy Smith

In your nightmares, no doubt......8*)

     aj"And he woke up screaming "Frank, off the flipping table!"..."r

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:56:39 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: The Quest for Verisimilitude

Frank intones:

Can I make it clear here that I in no way condone drinking and driving, I
would never do it.

Not to worry - we never thought you did. It's just one of those mental
movie projector images that seems so striking...

COmpletely agreed - driving and drinking is stupid in a big way.

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:00:40 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: LR dating

>How would you date it?

Offer to buy it dinner?

          ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:02:30 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Vehicle identification needed

>Judging from the fact some of the lenses don't even exist I wouldn't
>want to use lenses as an age marker.
>John and Muddy

Agreed - the beast has seen a few miles. From the look of 'em, though,
faded as they are I wouldn't think them unoriginal to the truck...

Still thinking early IIa....

                    aj"Wonder if it still exists?"r

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:34:43 -0400
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Battery woes

David Scheidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I've got this battery that doesn't hold a charge.  Sort of.  What it
>does is not produce starting current, but only if it's been sitting.
>It's got 13 something volts, hit the starter and the starter doesn't
>spin. 

There is a JC Whitless product that actually works...I've used it and it
isn't "snake oil."  It's a cadmium solution (real poisonous stuff, BTW....)
called VX-6 or somesuch.  Had the same symptoms...'dead' battery, hand
crank to get going.  But before I did, I added the VX-6 to all the cells.
3-4 miles later and 100 yards from work, I run out of gas - at a stop light
in the middle of an intersection.  The battery had developed enough ummmph
in those five minutes to crawl through the intersection on just the starter
motor.

See ya'll in a few days...have to fly off to San Fran for a funeral....

Cheers

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 01 07:55:49 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Re LRO: crap crap crap

>BTW, ACR is also developing a turbocharger for the 2.25.

A note here.  Rover went from a three main bearing engine to a five main 
bearing engine BEFORE they added a turbo.  It is my understanding that 
the 3 main will not hold up long term with the turbo.

Save that mod for the five main 2.25 and 2.5 engines.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:04:03 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Dizzy repair (was crap, crap, crap)

Thanks Teriann... I'll give BP a ring.
- -todd

>From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: "LRO list" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: Dizzy repair (was crap, crap, crap)
>Date: Sun, 8 Apr 01 16:34:17 -0700
>
> >Terriann's post got me thinking about my wobbly distrubuter shaft.  It 
>isn't
> >too bad yet, but I'd like to get it fixed sometime in, say, the next 10 
>to
> >15 years.  Does anyone know of an outfit that cures shaft wobble?  Um, I
> >mean, re-bushes dist. shafts?
>
>Most any automotive electric shop can rebush distributors.  On ther other
>hand BP has been selling brand new Lucas distributors for around $100 (I
>bought one about 3 years ago so the pirce may have changed).  It might
>actually come out cheaper to purchase a new distributor than to pay
>someone to go through your old one plus the parts.
>
>If your distributor shaft wobbles you are not getting rated performance
>out of your engine.
>
>TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
>Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
>[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
>                               and more
>
>http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:06:38 +0100
From: Paul <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Battery question

In article 
<[email-masked]>, David 
Scheidt wrote:
> Clearly, the battery is junk.  (I knew that;
> it does warn "Made in England") Is there anything worth trying to fix
> it?
>
 If you fit a battery that is not Made in England you will be the proud 
owner of a Notta-Land-Rover. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:06:37 +0100
From: Paul <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: I drove a series II

In article <[email-masked]>, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> I was scared to ask her how much she wanted for it.  Good thing, too.  I
> got home and said to my wife, "I spotted a Land Rover for sale. ..." 
> and she interrupted me to say, "I hope you didn't buy it!"
> 
> <g>
>
Go on, you know you want to!  And you can rent it out to the studios when 
they pick up the movie rights to your book....

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:12:24 +0100
From: Paul <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: 30 years into the future

In article <[email-masked]>, 
Easton Trevor A wrote:
> he "ARMY" is actually an all encompassing term for several military
> units which individually are "Royal"
> eg Royal Electrical and Mechamical Engineers, Royal Scots Guards, Royal
> Marines, etc
>
Very true, all except for the last one. The Royal Marines are part of the 
Royal Navy.

 Paul

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:13:36 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Dizzy repair (was crap, crap, crap)

>Might be a good time to go to a Crane or the like electronic points
>replacement.  the Cranes optical shutter doesn't mind a bit of shaft 
>wobble.
>Jim

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about the pertronix from Bill at GBR.  What 
are the pros/cons between optical and magnetic ignition systems?
Any serious concerns w/ field repair, longevity, or conversion back to 
points?
regards,
- -todd

BTW-I'm not concerned about my land rover's identity as it is no longer a 
"land rover".  It already sports an MG starter and parabolics. oh, and a new 
frame.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:24:03 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: MG distributor swap (was Dizzy repair)

w/ the MG dist. is there a way to swap/modify the bits that control the 
timing advance curve?  Wait, let me rephrase that... has anyone done, or 
seen it done and how?
regards,
- -todd
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:29:08 -0400 
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: TARC Mad May Muddiness

Club news editors, and others see
 http://www.hwcn.org/~ag278/mmm2001.jpg
for a poster on the Toronto Area Rover Club, Mad May Muddiness. May27th 2001

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:28:53 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: I drove a series II

>Go on, you know you want to!  And you can rent it out to the studios when
>they pick up the movie rights to your book....

If Ivan buys a Series, he'll never get the book written :)

Keith Tanner and Basil, mobile at last.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 01 08:32:29 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Dizzy repair (was crap, crap, crap)

>Might be a good time to go to a Crane or the like electronic points
>replacement.  the Cranes optical shutter doesn't mind a bit of shaft wobble.

The Pertronics is a hall effect element breakerless system.  Like the 
crane, set it properly once and forget it as the timing will remain as 
spot on as the distributor allows it to.  The advantage of a Pertronix 
unit is that it fits completely inside the distributor cap with no 
outside module.

An engine relys upon a tight timing chain and a distributor that delivers 
a spark at just the right time for maximum performance and fuel 
efficency.  Many people don't seem to mind driving with worn out parts.  
My personal preference is to have everything in very good to excellent 
condition.  I feel it increses the vehicle's efficency and reliability.  
Those two aspects are important to me as a woman traveling long distances 
alone.

Everyone maintains their Land Rover or Land Rover like vehicle (Didn't 
want to resume that discussion here) to the level they personally feel 
comfortable with.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:25:04 +0100
From: "Chico Salgueiro" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: NAS D90 replica

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0C040.161E5360
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am about to buy a D 90 Td5, however i love the look of the NAS.
How can turn my D90 Td5 into a NAS replica.(Roll cage;forward facing =
seat, sliding front seats;etc..)

Thank you very much

Chico Salgueiro
- -------------

- ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0C040.161E5360
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am about to buy a D 90 Td5, however i =
love the=20
look of the NAS.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How can turn my D90 Td5 into a NAS =
replica.(Roll=20
cage;forward facing seat,&nbsp;sliding front seats;etc..)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you very much</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chico Salgueiro</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>-------------</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C0C040.161E5360--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:53:11 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: I drove a series II

TO THE LIST:

You see - this is exactly what happens.  This is probably how it began for
many of us.  I got drawn into LR ownership/slavery by growing up with
British Iron and eventually seeing the LRs at the local ABFMs.  But the
point is, it often begins by accident.  And many years from now Ivan will be
here extolling the virtues of Series land rovers or be hip deep in the 712th
debate of grease vs 90wt.  BTW the way, which one for, nah, never mind!

TO IVAN:

So, what are your thoughts now?  I know you have had a few nights of
restless sleep imaging all the fun that could be had with that truck.  Are
you going to call the seller?  C'mon, you know you want to.  Two questions
mate:  1) how many times does SWMBO think you've seen the truck or driven
by?  2) how many times have you REALLY driven by (just to see if it's still
there?  That summer vacation can be put off just one more year ("...honey,
we really need to get that tranny rebuilt...")  BTW, have you asked Rovers
North to send out a catalog yet?  If not, they are probably "safer" to call
than the seller.  Here, let me help: 1-802-879-0032.  What are you waiting
for?  DO IT MAN!

Cheers,

Rich
1960 Series II 109 Station Wagon

LEGAL FINE PRINT:
(Simon, you may want to chime in here)

The author of this email cannot be held liable or responsible for any
action(s) taken by Ivan nor is the author of this email liable or
responsible for the results or consequences of said action(s) as related to
the acquisition of any Land Rover Series vehicle.

> Hi All--
> I was driving to the grocery store and spotted a 1961 Series II for
> sale.  I took notes; 70K original miles, series III Weber carb, lots of
> other little improvements I didn't understand.  I peered into it and
> looked it over very thoroughly and wrote down the telephone numbers,
> meaning to call later.
>
> I drove back from the grocery the same way, and I spotted a new green
> Disco pulling into the driveway of the home in front of which the Series
> II was parked.  A young woman got out; I rolled down my window and asked
> if she were the one selling the Landy.  She nodded, so I stopped and
> explained that I wasn't interested in buying.  I would, however, like to
> sit in it and smell it and stuff like that; it was research for a story.
>
> "Want a ride?" she asked, jingling her keys and grinning.
>
> Oh, indeed, I did.  She tooke me around several blocks and then made me
> drive the last half-block back to her house.  I actually managed it
> without ruining any gears; not bad for someone who hasn't driven a stick
> for over twenty years.
>
> No one told me there was no insulation on the doors and that you could
> see all the parts for the latches.  When people said Series vehicles
> don't have very good heaters, I didn't realize that meant that there was
> a small black box next to the steering wheel that was supposed to heat
> up the entire interior, and that if you weren't careful you could bang
> something on it.  Shifting and using the clutch, though, those were as
> described.  Now I know what the yellow and red knobs do.
>
> But most of all I got to smell it.  It smelled like the jeep I drove in
> the Army thirty-one years ago.
>
> I was scared to ask her how much she wanted for it.  Good thing, too.  I
> got home and said to my wife, "I spotted a Land Rover for sale. ..."
> and she interrupted me to say, "I hope you didn't buy it!"
>
> <g>
>
> <but-now-i-know-what-the-attraction-is>-ly y'rs,
> Ivan;-)
> ----------------------------------------------
> Ivan Van Laningham
> Symantec
> http://www.pauahtun.org/
> http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html
> Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
> Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:47:28 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Dizzy repair (was crap, crap, crap)

Re: Pertronix vs. Crane:

Personally, I like the Ignitor 10X more than the Crane I had.

I had a lot of difficulty with the Crane's "One size fits all" internal
distributor mounts, and mounting the extra box was a PITA and ugly. Also,
I'm not convinced that the grubby interior of a Lucas distributor is a good
spot for optical bits...but that is more of an opinion than gospel.

The Ignitor is a bolt in with no extrnal gubbins at all - just 2 wires to
hook it up and then retime the engine. Magnets don't care if they get oily.
Also, the best price I've ever seen for Crane's offering is still 20-30
bucks more than the Ignitor.

Cheaper, easier...works for me...8*)

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:01:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: series landrovers and airstream trailers...

i was kinda busy when the airstream thread
went by 4-6 weeks ago and didn't pay 
attention.  can someone get
to me back-channel and discuss pulling an
airstream with a 2.25l series landie...

Sincerely,

Ray Harder 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:14:13 -0600 
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Shipfitters...

Well,

In preparation for my impending transmission build and engine swap, I had
pulled all the wings/breakfast etc. off the 109.  It turns out that it was a
good thing that the transmission went south; if it had lasted a few more
years, there would have been some serious rustermite to deal with on the
bulkhead.  As it is, it appears to be surficial damaga only so far, along
the lower outsides of each footwell, and around the struts that com up from
the frame to attach to the fronts of the 'wells.

So, last night, I go out with a wire brush and a putty knife to do some
exploratory probing.  And... no perforations or such, but the problem
extends to areas I cannot really access without pulling the bulkhead.  So,
time to start labelling wires and drawing diagrams and suchnot...  (sigh).

And, of course, while I am there, I am thinking, I might as well do a proper
job, sandblast the thing and start from scratch again.  Which brings up the
question of what to do with the seams in between the stitch welds (and that
annoying overlap on the door pillar sides just below the windscreen).

1) weld all those little buggers up nice and tight inside and out
2) get a good seam sealer and apply before repainting

And on a separate note.  Last night I was telling my wife about the
fundamentalist land rover jihad.  AFter she stopped choking on her tea from
laughter (and her comment on what absolute loosers we must be...), her
question was, if a person gets a mechanical heart, are they still human?
How about a replacement heart from another person?  How about a baboon
heart?  What makes a person a person?

Yours in landroverishness

Clinton "and I put about 15K miles a year on my truck" Coates

109" Bastardized II/IIA/Fiero/Delco/Mercedesinwaiting/hybrid and proud of it

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:22:58 -0700 
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Rover Sighting

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:31:17 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: ROVER SIGHTING

>Parked in an office parking lot (around 11:30am) in Bellevue, Washington =
USA was a white Series IIa 109 Station Wagon.

I have seen an all-Limestone 109 SIIa in the Issaquah area from time 
to time in the evening on my commute home.  It appears to be driving 
to or from the Sammamish plateau.  May or may not be the same 
vehicle, as I've never examined it closely.

>Oh, it also had a rear window wiper unit.  Was that a factory option?

I don't know if the factory ever installed a rear window wiper themselves.  
However, through the 1970s, you could buy a rear window wiper/washer 
kit from the LR parts houses.  It consisted of a wiper motor, arm, blade and 
washer nozzle which 
you installed on the door, and a washer reservoir and pump motor identical 
to the one that came in my SIII for the windscreen washer.  The reservoir and 
pump were meant to be mounted on the inside of the rear door by the motor, 
although I imagine you could put it anywhere you liked back there.  The 
kit also came with a switch for the dash that was the same as the SIII's 
rotary/push switch for the windscreen wiper/washer.  The fact 
that the reservoir, pump, and switch were identical to the ones fitted in the engine 
bay at the factory leads me to believe this was at least a factory "approved" 
option that dealers or owners could install.  I meant to buy one, but kept 
putting it off until one day they were no longer available.
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:23:24 -0700
From: Wise Owl <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #318

At 10:50 PM 06/04/01, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:25:22 -0400
>From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: Webber Carb question.
>
>I have just recieved a Webber Carb, model 341CEV which is significantly
>different to the Webber carb I purchased 8 or 9 years ago. It came with
>no instructions.
>Thge throttle butterfly is mounted in a separate casting which is fixed
>to the base of the carb by a couple of screws.
>In this separate base is the obviuos connection for the distibutor vacuum
>supply. There are two additional - approx. 1/4" dia - pipes fitted to the
>base casting. Anyone any idea what these are used for? If I blow into
>one, the air exits the other one, if I block one off with a finger and
>suck on the other I can feel the suction at my finger. It appears to me
>that these pipes are of no use. Seems odd to fit a couple of pipes that
>serve no function, unless the base is used on another carb variant that
>has some use for them.
>
>Regards from Western New York State
>
>   Bill Leacock.
>
>21 years old ( for the 34th time!)

Those pipes are for coolant. These are a more modern carb that Bearmach has 
been selling for a year or two.

73, Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:26:05 -0700 
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: The Land-Rover Bodied Bastard 

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:14:22 -0400
From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: The Land-Rover Bodied Bastard 

>I am now wondering if this whole debate thing was simply a contest, to see
who would come out winning.

No, it was just something to do during lunch.
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:30:11 -0600
From: "Todd Ondick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: series landrovers and airstream trailers...

Yeah, first you swap in a large displacement american V8...
;^}
- -todd

>From: Ray Harder <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: LRO: series landrovers and airstream trailers...
>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:01:44 -0500 (CDT)
>
>
>i was kinda busy when the airstream thread
>went by 4-6 weeks ago and didn't pay
>attention.  can someone get
>to me back-channel and discuss pulling an
>airstream with a 2.25l series landie...
>
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Ray Harder
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 09:37:42 -0700
From: Mark Pilkington <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Give Me a Brake!!

We all know that Land Rover parts are cheaper in England, but I had a beauty
yesterday.  Certain suppliers here in the USA want $239 for a CB type Brake
master for a Series IIA. The same item can be bought NEW in England for $32 and
shipped for $20 by Fed Ex to get it here in two days.  The Clutch slave cylinder
is $16.  I was thinking of buying overhaul kits for these after Keith Tanner
very kindly e-mailed me the diagrams on how to do this, but after seeing the
prices, I ordered everything new and will just bolt it on. Am I right in
thinking that the CV (single circuit) brake master off a SWB SIIA is the same
unit as the clutch master, because the Land Rover website lists the brake master
in the clutch section as well as the brake section and the parts look alike and
have the same part number. What I got from England in a bag marked "Brake master
cylinder SWB" was identical to the item I removed from the Clutch position on
the bulkhead. I know that all the pedals are on the wrong side of the car, but
they are still in the right order...I think.
Kind regards,
Mark Pilkington

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:40:41 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shipfitters...

her
question was, if a person gets a mechanical heart, are they still human?
How about a replacement heart from another person?  How about a baboon
heart?  What makes a person a person?

The question above all of that, Clinton, Is whether or not they were to
begin with.....

Parts is parts...

          ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:42:10 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #321

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:52:44 -0700 
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: The Land-Rover Bodied Bastard

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:33:10 +0100
From: Andy Smith <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: The Land-Rover Bodied Bastard

>Just a thought and if somebody else has said I apologies now.
Did Marin hate himself when he was young ?, those years must of been
Tortuous for him..................

No, I was too busy riding horses, working on ranches, riding around 
the California and Colorado mountains in the summer in Jeeps (with Chevy V-8 
engines, no less), sailing, deep-sea fishing, learning how to fly, and doing about a zillion 
other things.  I didn't have a television until I was 16, so I actually had 
to DO interesting stuff to entertain myself.  One of the things I love about 
both television and the internet is that as more and more people remain in
their homes experiencing life on a screen, there are less and less people 
crowding up the real world.  So I'm sorry to disappoint, but no, I didn't 
hate myself when I was young.  I had a great time, same as I am now.  My 
lack of interest in today's youth in not due to my own experiences, but to 
my observations that today's youth for the most part are not worth wasting 
time on.  At least not my time.  There are exceptions, but they seem to be 
few and far between.  But my opinions are not the result of having a bad time 
as a kid.  In fact, I feel sorry for most of today's youth because they seem 
to have no direction and no opportunities to do the kinds of things I was able 
to do when I was a kid.  I make a fair amount of money, have a boat, a plane, 
and can pretty much travel anywhere in the world whenever I want.  I attribute 
those benefits in large part to the experiences I had as a kid.  Hauling logs 
out of the woods with a Caterpillar tractor when you're 14 teaches you something 
you don't get in front of a TV screen.  You can say that hauling logs out of the 
woods isn't a skill today's kids are going to need, but I'm not talking about the 
skill itself, but the values- discipline, responsibility, and self-reliance- you gain 
from doing things like that.
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:19:02 -0700 
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Battery question

Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:04:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Battery question

>I've got this battery that doesn't hold a charge.  Sort of.  What it
does is not produce starting current, but only if it's been sitting.
It's got 13 something volts, hit the starter and the starter doesn't
spin.

Couple of things to check before tossing the battery completely.  
First, make sure the battery connections are good.  A dirty or 
corroded connection can give enough resistance to keep a 
starter from working if the battery voltage drops even a little, 
like over a period of time.  Second, make sure the ground 
connection is good to the frame or wherever it's attached 
on your vehicle.

However, batteries can go bad on their own.  They can suddenly 
reverse polarity or short out.  Also, as batteries sit, the acid 
and water separate somewhat.  What you end up with is a 
battery that's only got perhaps a third of its effective plate 
depth working for you.  (I learned all this because we 
just had an inverter/charger installed on our trawler 
and the guy told me more 
about batteries than I thought there was to know).  Anyway, 
as the batteries sit, you slowly lose the power (cranking 
power) in the battery.  It will indicate 12-14 volts just 
fine, but there's just no power there to do much work.  
The solution is called "equalizing" 
the battery.  What you do is deliberately overcharge it 
for about eight hours.  It makes nasty gas and boils 
water out of the cells, but the important thing is that it 
re-mixes the acid and water and gets all the accumulated 
sulfide off the plates so that the entire plate surface is 
working for you again.  The inverter/charger we have on the 
boat has this "equalizing" function built in.  Most smaller automotive 
chargers do not.  By the way, this is not something you do 
a lot and frequently.  Most battery manufacturers recommend 
doing this every ten to twenty cycles  (a cycle is when you 
run a battery almost completely dead, as you do with the house 
power batteries on a boat.) So equalizing only needs to be done 
perhaps two or three times a year.  You don't run a car battery dead 
on a routine basis, so you can't use cycles to judge when to 
equalize.  So maybe once a year would make sense on a car, 
if it's worth doing at all.

If you can find a charger that will overcharge your battery 
(about 16 volts is what you want to pump in there), you might 
want to try that.  Just remember to do it in a well ventilated area 
and don't turn on any accessories in the car that might be 
damaged by 16 volts DC.  Probably the best thing is to take the 
battery out of the vehicle altogether.  And make sure it doesn't 
run low on water during this process.

However, it may be less hassle simply to discard the battery 
and get a new one.
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:59:03 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Shipfitters...

Hey, my wife has laughed at me from the time I started looking for my Series IIa almost 3 years ago until Friday, April 6th at noon, as we began our assault on the trails at Monteagle, Tennessee, home of Camp Rover USA April 6,7, & 8.  On the way back yesterday afternoon she would say things like, "that was so much fun, I bet the kids would love it!" and "when in the SOLAROS annual event...in September?"  She's starting to look for reasons to join me on trail rides rather than avoiding them.  When the tranny fluid temp light on the dash of my RR Classic came on necessitating a tow yesterday to complete our trip, she sat there quietly.  I asked if she was mad or something (which was possible since we were late) and she said "no, no just trying to figure out if the light itself is bad, or water somehow got in the transmission when we were wading through the river yesterday."

Clinton, get your wife to accompany you on a trail ride weekend and soon she'll pick a side on the purist / bastard argument.

Ron Ward
1965 Land-Rover Series IIa 88"
1995 Range-Rover Classic SWB

>>> [email-masked] 04/09/01 12:14PM >>>
Well,

In preparation for my impending transmission build and engine swap, I had
pulled all the wings/breakfast etc. off the 109.  It turns out that it was a
good thing that the transmission went south; if it had lasted a few more
years, there would have been some serious rustermite to deal with on the
bulkhead.  As it is, it appears to be surficial damaga only so far, along
the lower outsides of each footwell, and around the struts that com up from
the frame to attach to the fronts of the 'wells.

So, last night, I go out with a wire brush and a putty knife to do some
exploratory probing.  And... no perforations or such, but the problem
extends to areas I cannot really access without pulling the bulkhead.  So,
time to start labelling wires and drawing diagrams and suchnot...  (sigh).

And, of course, while I am there, I am thinking, I might as well do a proper
job, sandblast the thing and start from scratch again.  Which brings up the
question of what to do with the seams in between the stitch welds (and that
annoying overlap on the door pillar sides just below the windscreen).

1) weld all those little buggers up nice and tight inside and out
2) get a good seam sealer and apply before repainting

And on a separate note.  Last night I was telling my wife about the
fundamentalist land rover jihad.  AFter she stopped choking on her tea from
laughter (and her comment on what absolute loosers we must be...), her
question was, if a person gets a mechanical heart, are they still human?
How about a replacement heart from another person?  How about a baboon
heart?  What makes a person a person?

Yours in landroverishness

Clinton "and I put about 15K miles a year on my truck" Coates

109" Bastardized II/IIA/Fiero/Delco/Mercedesinwaiting/hybrid and proud of it

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:00:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Land Rover Bodied Bastard

	Marin has no kids.  Just a guess.

	I'm 35.  I suppose that makes me a no good, low down no account punk. I   
had TV when I was little (I actually watched Hogans Heroes, Gilligan's   
Island and Pthe Dukes of Hazzard AND I did stuff outside.  And I have   
kids, and they have TV and they do stuff outside.  And I'm a firm   
believer that (put on grumpy old man voice here)  "the good old days"   
 weren't so great.

And my kids think the rover is the greatest.  But they like the Suburban   
better for long trips.  I'd say that bodes well as far as their common   
sense is concerned (they're a little young to judge whether or not   
they'll conribute to the world going to hell in a handbasket yet, being   
3, 5 and 6 and a half).

Simon "Sob, Can't we all just gewt along?, sob" Harding  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:13:03 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: 5 door soft top

Bill Rice did it on his 109.  Just unbolt and lift off the roof.  You will still have the top of the "T" piece that runs up between the front and rear doors.  He has a hoop set that goes in place of the hard top and it looks pretty good.  He will argue otherwise (hates the look) but you could leave your door tops on and then you wouldn't really notice the T pillar piece.  Neatest Land-Rover I ever saw was Bill's blasting down the highway with the top off, the hoop set off, no front doors and the windscreen down...

>>> [email-masked] 04/08/01 09:19PM >>>
Who did this? I believe it was someone in GA. It could be someone on the
Mostly Metro list. There is a guy on the RN BBS that wants info on this
mod. AND YES IT WILL STILL BE A LAND-ROVER FER CHRISTS SAKE. Even if they
don't use an official genuine govmnt issue canvas top.

Jim Wolf "had my 109 since 71" will do what I damn well want to do to
it!!!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 01 11:25:48 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: LR dating

I have been ignoring this thread but I've seen the subject line one too 
many times.

Each time I see the subject line I keep thinking something like:

1960 109 seeks 88 between the ages of 1958 and 1964 with straight body 
and complete interior.  Like to spend quiet days traveling the road less 
traveled? Enjoy nights circled around a camp fire?  Maybe we could get 
together for some light trailing.  Sorry no diesel smokers.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:28:24 -0400
From: Peter Monk <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: 30 years into the future

- --------------DDF4BBD83175767FD7FBE67D
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I'm sure this will be one of many comments without much Land Rover
content....

Trevor Easton said:
> The "ARMY" is actually an all encompassing term for several military
units which individually are "Royal"
>  eg Royal Electrical and Mechamical Engineers, Royal Scots Guards,
Royal Marines, etc

Not the Royal Marines.  They are Royal Navy (see Hornblower, more
recently the Falklands conflict or for the official word
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk ).  They all use Land Rovers however.

Peter

- --
Address: Department of Mathematical Sciences  | Phone: 302-831-1873
         University of Delaware               | FAX  : 302-831-4511
         Newark, DE 19716
         USA
WWW    : http://www.math.udel.edu/~monk

- --------------DDF4BBD83175767FD7FBE67D
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
I'm sure this will be one of many comments without much Land Rover content....
<p>Trevor Easton said:
<br>> The "ARMY" is actually an all encompassing term for several military
units which individually are "Royal"
<br>>&nbsp; eg Royal Electrical and Mechamical Engineers, Royal Scots Guards,
Royal Marines, etc
<p>Not the Royal Marines.&nbsp; They are Royal Navy (see Hornblower, more
recently the Falklands conflict or for the official word <A HREF="http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk">http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk</A>
).&nbsp; They all use Land Rovers however.
<p>Peter
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<pre>--&nbsp;
Address: Department of Mathematical Sciences&nbsp; | Phone: 302-831-1873
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; University of Delaware&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | FAX&nbsp; : 302-831-4511
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Newark, DE 19716&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; USA
WWW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; : <A HREF="http://www.math.udel.edu/~monk">http://www.math.udel.edu/~monk</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

- --------------DDF4BBD83175767FD7FBE67D--

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #322
**********************************************