LRO: SOs and Land Rovers

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 15:43:21 EDT

    Hi Ron,

    >Clinton, get your wife to accompany you on a trail ride weekend and
    >soon she'll pick a side on the purist / bastard argument.

    Sorry, I already know where she stands on that. We have had the 109 since
    1994 and it was our daily drive and work vehicle for several years in
    northern BC. After several generator and VR "episodes" (including a
    memorable trip from Smithers to Kamloops in -20 C with no heater to keep the
    battery from loosing its charge...) I put in a delco alternator. No more
    worries. After replacing the umpteenth point and condensor set (granted,
    these are not as good as the originals) I put in a Crane ignition. No more
    ignition problems, (though I would still cast a leery eye under the dizzy
    every 2-3,000 miles or so). Etc. etc. etc. She loves the truck, but, being
    rather practical (but not so practical that she would rather have a
    Dakota...), also can see the benefits of selective upgrades such as cushier
    springs, a synchro gearbox, an engine that allows a faster average speed,
    better heat... When I get the firewall back in, I am going to "port match"
    my Kodaik heater per TeriAnn's instructions. I was surprised at how much
    restriction there is in the firewall!

    I absolutely love this truck, I get a foolish grin on my face every time I
    drive it. When I got it, I knew squat about mechanics, but firmly resolved
    to do all my own work. The only times repairs went wrong is when I faltered
    and farmed out the work to a shop. I know a *lot* more about vehicles now
    than I did 6 years ago. Even my wife catches herself sometimes. Know that
    movie about the mechanic and Einstein (Walter Matthau). There is a scene
    where some git drives up to the mechanics shop in a wheezing little Brit
    sportscar. Reah says, "geeze, that sounds like a problem with the ignition,
    I wonder if the cap is cracked or the points aren't gapped right?" then the
    mechanics find out a bit later that the cap is cracked...

    Clinton "you can pay a mechanic to screw up your truck, or you can screw it
    up yourself for a fraction of the cost" Coates