LRO: RE: Land Rover Bodied Bastard: WAAAY OT

From: SJH (SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 15:34:00 EDT

    Hey I resemble that remark! I was a glue sniffer - but only as a result
    of building plastic and later balsa models (the tissue paper dope is WAY
    better than the glue). sniffing glue is nothing. Try the smoke from
    burning/exploding them while simulating the Battle of Britain.

            Kids tend to shed less than dogs, depending on the dog, and the kid.

            Marin, as Lou Reed once sang, think of it as raising your own
    pallbearers. As I once described my mother's situation (seven kids) it
    can also be described as a third world retirement plan: a bit less than
    two months of the year with each kid, and she won't need to go in a
     home. Of course that assumes you raise them well enough to trust they
    will do unto you in old age as you did unto them.

            And for Rover content (I feel a certain sense of hypocrisy coming on in
    light of my OT comments ofa few days ago): I have a photo of my mother
    and her sister standing in front of the family's 88 (SII??) somewhere
    in Europe, in the fifties. They used to keep a jug of sangria and the
    dishes inside the bonnet mounted spare. Her father's never attained
    dream, was to have a Dormobile. I've talked to her about getting a
    dormie and dropping a chevy drivetrain in it for her, as she has
    misgivings about power and reliability (Her being English, I am
    mortified she could feel this way! Mortified I say!) She dated a wheat
    farmer who once had his Jag towed a hundred plus miles to Portland for
    repair, and after that converted it, and she doesnt like the idea of
    doing the cascades (or remote Nevada) with a Rover powerplant.

    And none of her kids are glue sniffers. Dad left when I was 10 (don't
    get me started on the single mom thing causing kids to be screwed up.
     Its crapola). Oldest kid was 16. He's succesfully retired from his own
    business, at age 41 or so, now works for the railroad for fun. grad
    degree in Russian and music. Next is sister, PhD immunology, Genencor
    research scientist, brother, graduate degree computer science, Tacoma
    Pierce health dept, Sister, PhD Geophysics, doing something I don't
    really understand at MIT for two years, budding Perfessor type, then me
     (the black sheep) lawyer, then brother, engineering degree, high level
    yes-man for Autodesk software, then youngest son, soon to be a cop, ex
    truck driver/Les Schwab guy. What's my point? We all watched TV, and
    were given free rein (mom worked graveyard, my brother worked for a beer
    distributor when we were in high school - need I say more?), my mom made
    us what we are through example, the power of guilt and an insistence on
    educashun.
            I am a world class cynic, and not much of an optimist when it comes to
    the future, but I am making my own efforts at improving it by raising my
    kids to be good productive citizens, and by trying to make it better my
    own way. I have a sister who has no kids. I wish she had, because she
    would have raised kids who would have made the world better. A license
    ought to be required to have kids, IMHO. Too many bad child raisers out
    there. (He said keeping his fingers crossed for the next 20-50 years)

            So its all very well to say the world is going to hell in a handbasket
    and kids these days are the worst, etc, but it is more credible of the
    person saying it is also trying to do something about it. And I am sure
    you are. But when it comes to bad kids? Blame the parents and the kids
    themselves, once they reach a certain (I think fairly young) age. Not
    society, not the schools. Not the Gov'mint.

            But all that said about making the future rosier, I did buy a gas
    powered weed whacker yesterday....

    Simon "I blame society. Society made me what I am"" Harding