LRO: Shipfitters...

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:14:13 EDT

    Well,

    In preparation for my impending transmission build and engine swap, I had
    pulled all the wings/breakfast etc. off the 109. It turns out that it was a
    good thing that the transmission went south; if it had lasted a few more
    years, there would have been some serious rustermite to deal with on the
    bulkhead. As it is, it appears to be surficial damaga only so far, along
    the lower outsides of each footwell, and around the struts that com up from
    the frame to attach to the fronts of the 'wells.

    So, last night, I go out with a wire brush and a putty knife to do some
    exploratory probing. And... no perforations or such, but the problem
    extends to areas I cannot really access without pulling the bulkhead. So,
    time to start labelling wires and drawing diagrams and suchnot... (sigh).

    And, of course, while I am there, I am thinking, I might as well do a proper
    job, sandblast the thing and start from scratch again. Which brings up the
    question of what to do with the seams in between the stitch welds (and that
    annoying overlap on the door pillar sides just below the windscreen).

    1) weld all those little buggers up nice and tight inside and out
    2) get a good seam sealer and apply before repainting

    And on a separate note. Last night I was telling my wife about the
    fundamentalist land rover jihad. AFter she stopped choking on her tea from
    laughter (and her comment on what absolute loosers we must be...), her
    question was, if a person gets a mechanical heart, are they still human?
    How about a replacement heart from another person? How about a baboon
    heart? What makes a person a person?

    Yours in landroverishness

    Clinton "and I put about 15K miles a year on my truck" Coates

    109" Bastardized II/IIA/Fiero/Delco/Mercedesinwaiting/hybrid and proud of it