Re: Re LRO: crap crap crap

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 10:40:59 EDT

    > My concern is that you might buy an off the shelf carb with generic
    > jetting then either drive with the jetting off and try to make due or
    > spend a bunch more money than you saved buying jets and tubes to dial the
    > carb in to work correctly.

    Very good point. The people I have talked to at Pierce have been great.
    Again makes sense to get everything from one source.

    > Another thought. If you're going through all this you might want to have
    > your distributer checked for wear then add a pertronix breakerless system
    > if the distributer is up to snuff.

    Checked the point gap on all four lobes and it is uniform, so no bent shaft.
    Not sure of the procedures for checking the dwell. Have a good fluke, but
    not sure where the manual is. Also don't know what the dwell spec is.

    GBR is sending me a pertronix.

    Someone already mentioned that an MGB dizzy fits in the 2.25 Rover. I did
    this with my first Series III. When checking the points, the gap on # 1 was
    spec (off the top of my head .014) but #4 was around .10 . It run, but back
    fired so bad it blew the muffler up :-).

    I would like to bump the exhaust up to 2". ACR is currently developing an
    exhasut header for their head/cam/carb set up. Want to talk some more to
    them about the outlet size they are shooting for. Wait and change out my
    exhaust after they have it done. DO the rest of the rebuild now, but
    exhaust could wait.
    BTW, ACR is also developing a turbocharger for the 2.25.

    Finally got the Project to hold an idle. Idle screw is in almost all the
    way. Has to be about an 1/8" gap between the butterfly and carb body, idle
    is at 850. Hesitation is just about gone on acceleration. Been driving
    around all day with the window down. 85 degrees, Kona winds, great day :-)

    Pete